HWBOT Community Forums

Using VGA Hotwire function of OC Panel in daily basis.

phil

Hello everyone,

This guide is about controlling hardmodded hardware with ASUS OC Panel.

It has been in the back of my head for quite some time now; to swap VRs (Variable Resistors known as trimmers) with the OC Panel.

Since AOOC 2013 days, it was known that OC Panel has the ability to monitor and change the applied voltages by changing its resistance output which is controlled electronically.

Thankfully, I got a spare old epower and since I didn't want to flash my evbot everytime I had to jump from the new epower to the old and vice versa, I chose to try the OC Panel.

Based on shamino's guide and after soldering hotwire cables to the old EPOWER I was able to control it without the need of trimmers nor evbot.

All you have to do, is to connect the red pin to the vcore/vmem/vpll/vddq (and even ocp/ovp) point of the hardware that you want to mod (ex. FB).

At this point, it worth mentioning that you do not need to solder any ground as soon as the system (GPU/epower) is on the same power supply as OC Panel is.

Also, you can connect the black pins to measurement points to also use the panel as a multimeter.

On all Hotwire pins the resistance is the same and starts from +1=32.4 Kohm and ends to +190=22.5 Ohm. In other words, that usually means that to adjust vGPU we will need bigger steps compared to vMEM adjustment.

You can always try to add some smd resistors to move the range on higher values if needed.

When the PSU/System is switched off, then the panel resets and voltages go back to default.

NOTE! If you turn on/off the panel from its dedicated button the voltages will remain the same!

IMPORTANT UPDATE !!!

Avoid measuring with OC Panel voltages more than 2.xxx volts.It might destroy OC Panel!!!

Thanks for reading. :)

Phil & FireKillerGR

Adjusting vMEM on GTX 285 - Small steps:

Adjusting epower's voltages (both vGPU & vMEM):

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Edited by phil

Thanks for sharing ;)

I'm wondering what is the step when you got from +189 to 190 ?

Is it "small" enough to adjust voltage or Vgpu will jump from 1.6 V to 2 V :D

Is it fast to go from +0 to +190 ?

I remember AOOC with titan + black Epower. Every boot you had to decrease voltage to boot, and then increase it up to 1.8 V. Going from 1.2 to 1.8 to 1.2 to 1.8 .... was tooooo long :D

Thanks for sharing ;)

I'm wondering what is the step when you got from +189 to 190 ?

Is it "small" enough to adjust voltage or Vgpu will jump from 1.6 V to 2 V :D

Is it fast to go from +0 to +190 ?

I remember AOOC with titan + black Epower. Every boot you had to decrease voltage to boot, and then increase it up to 1.8 V. Going from 1.2 to 1.8 to 1.2 to 1.8 .... was tooooo long :D

I don't know from +189 to +190.Haven't tested :D

It's pretty fast to go from 0 to 190 if you keep the button pushed.

Generally is very easy to use and if you test it once you will never go back to trimmers ;)

Having seen it live i have to admit it is VERY convenient to use.

Just solder the wires to the correct places in vga and all voltages set and monitoring is done by OC panel.

Steps are not that big for most GPU's (i think only AMD vgas with 50 Ohms vmod will have problem)

Phil has done a great work and THANKS for sharing man.

It is the same thing.Red pins of OC panel are connected to modding area of vga(FB) and if you want you can also connect black pins to the measuring points of your vga so you won't need to use a DMM(digital multi meter).

But if you won't be using same PSU,then you will need also a ground cable from OC Panel to the system.

• 4 months later...
Yes, at +180 got only a +0.05v ... Should I put a fixed resistor on the wire between oc panel and vga? how can I calculate which resistor I need?

Try till +190,the steps should be bigger after +180.Adding a resistor won't help.It will raise the resistance and not lower.