HWBOT Community Forums

The big MSI MOA 2011 thread: information, videos, comments and more ...

Massman

They should just not send stuff out, mods should be done there.

In the early days of these kinds of live competitions, people complained that they weren't able to prepare the hardware before the event and it was causing them to either kill the hw or not achieve the best possible results. So they switched to sending the hardware up front, which now turns out to have negative effects too.

Personally, I agree with you. Hardware should be provided at the competition only. If the full event would be two days (first day prep, second day comp), there should be no problem preparing for the event.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should just not send stuff out, mods should be done there.

That's how it was on MOA 2009 & 2008 .

There are some things that they have to sort , but in general i agree with you and i would like it that way again . :)

For example , let's say that you have never benched a 580 lightning . How are you going to proceed ? These cards are picky while overclocking .You have to know how to bench with it in order to get the best out of it .

Also , what mods will you choose ? There were times that the hwmods they gave us didn't work or they were extremelly difficult.

If you know how to find mods , you need a few hours . You don't have that time during a competition. Only if the competition was extended to 2 or 3 days .

Day 1 : pretesting and voltage modding.

Day 2 : Contest

Steleras, i don't agree with that. :)

If MSI didn't send out the hardware before the contest, some people may get a sample of their own and test anyway, while others may not. Either that being for financial reasons, or the hardware just not available in some countries. Sending it out means equal changes for everyone to pretest the components.

Also, lets take thermalpaste for exemple. If you'd get the hardware the day before the contest, and then you find out your thermalpaste doesn't do it's job, you're skrewed. Simply no time to get better stuff. With hardware at home, you can test and prepare in a decent way. I like the way it's currently done.

Steleras, i don't agree with that. :)

If MSI didn't send out the hardware before the contest, some people may get a sample of their own and test anyway, while others may not. Either that being for financial reasons, or the hardware just not available in some countries. Sending it out means equal changes for everyone to pretest the components.

Also, lets take thermalpaste for exemple. If you'd get the hardware the day before the contest, and then you find out your thermalpaste doesn't do it's job, you're skrewed. Simply no time to get better stuff. With hardware at home, you can test and prepare in a decent way. I like the way it's currently done.

That's why i said that there are many thing to sort out before changing the way they distribute the hardware .

Another alternative is for MSI to ship one extra card to the overclockers at home which they have to give back to the organisation before the competition. At the competition, they're given two new cards.

I wonder what would be the cheapest financially: giving away 16 extra high-end cards/mainboards or an extra day of preparation.

Yes , but there is also a date code/batch written on the backside of the card . On the top of the card to be more precise .

I don't know aht other info the may have.

You can ask yourself the MSI HQ for more info .Their english is not very good and i can't fully understand everything they say .

I think I might the one you said with poor English at MSI HQ :P

Edited by pkaku

Back on topic, just tested the Z68A-GD80 with the new MOA bios and i really must say MSI nailed it. At MOA it probably won't work as smooth cause of the memory used, but with my Gskill Ripjaws it really works flawless .. just enter the value in bios, and the board will do exactly like it's supposted to. Plus a bit higher bclock than on M4E (105 vs 107 on GD80).

Now just hoping the stories about the board killing CPUs is not true. Would be a shame.

Pre-binned CPU's. 2 of them?

32m with 50 multi?

3d01 AND 3d11?

XP and Win 7 where appropriate?

An actual effort to try to limit the competition to the provided hardware?

Earned competition slots instead of invites?

Even with the best CPU and GPU, nobody's winning this competition without a little skill.

Personally, I'm satisfied.

Looking forward to meeting those of you I haven't yet met.

Pre-binned CPU's. 2 of them?

32m with 50 multi?

3d01 AND 3d11?

XP and Win 7 where appropriate?

An actual effort to try to limit the competition to the provided hardware?

Earned competition slots instead of invites?

Even with the best CPU and GPU, nobody's winning this competition without a little skill.

Personally, I'm satisfied.

Looking forward to meeting those of you I haven't yet met.

what this guy said