HWBOT Community Forums

AMD RX 6900xt / 6800xt / 6800 Overclocking tweaks , tricks and mods.

chispy

Fellas, today I bought a 6800xt liquid devil, I'm playing around with the oc, now I tried to use the more power tool, but after changing the voltage on the gpu to 1200 and the power to 350, the card boots up at 500 mhz what am I doing wrong?

i also try Buldzoid metod from YT but anything help

8 hours ago, ajdahoPl said:

Fellas, today I bought a 6800xt liquid devil, I'm playing around with the oc, now I tried to use the more power tool, but after changing the voltage on the gpu to 1200 and the power to 350, the card boots up at 500 mhz what am I doing wrong?

i also try Buldzoid metod from YT but anything help

Hello there :) , you cannot change your voltage in MPT or hex or you will end up with the 500Mhz bug. Leave the voltage alone and play with the power PL only nothing else as the drivers detect any little change in MPT and if you go past stock max voltages this will always happen. You need to uninstall drivers and re-install fresh ones and the bug will go away. 

Edited by chispy
  • Like 1

I know, I read it in the meantime, but thank You ,  there is one more thing that concern me, namely a big difference between the GPU temperature and the junction temperature, about 25-30'C, when I look through the tests it seems to me that in the testers it would be a difference of 15'C at most, in games on my card is like 48-52'C gpu , junction around 70'C and when I run furmark I have 60-62'C on the gpu and 97'C on the junction, power consumption then shows 380W, because I set it that way

and this is my 3dmark score looks OK ?

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21658031

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ajdahoPl said:

I know, I read it in the meantime, but thank You ,  there is one more thing that concern me, namely a big difference between the GPU temperature and the junction temperature, about 25-30'C, when I look through the tests it seems to me that in the testers it would be a difference of 15'C at most, in games on my card is like 48-52'C gpu , junction around 70'C and when I run furmark I have 60-62'C on the gpu and 97'C on the junction, power consumption then shows 380W, because I set it that way

and this is my 3dmark score looks OK ?

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21658031

Maybe is time for a fresh re-paste , try using thermal grizzly kryonaut on a thick layer and spreaded evenly with the spatula included. This chips are huge hence the need for lots of thermal paste. This will help maybe with the core temp / Tjunction temps as it should be max around 20c difference and please do not run furmark it's a non realistic virus power load wish does more harm than good. Your score  looks good :) . 

50 minutes ago, chispy said:

Maybe is time for a fresh re-paste , try using thermal grizzly kryonaut on a thick layer and spreaded evenly with the spatula included. This chips are huge hence the need for lots of thermal paste. This will help maybe with the core temp / Tjunction temps as it should be max around 20c difference and please do not run furmark it's a non realistic virus power load wish does more harm than good. Your score  looks good :) . 

but this is a new card bought yesterday, I do not want to break the seal without being sure that everything is ok, I am afraid that maybe the factory did something wrong during assembly

well its been a minute sorry for the delay. was offered a chance to start finishing up some of my course requirements toward my red hat architect certificate. then bombarded with classwork as well as work. will be resuming my oc adventures within the week. 

with some slight adjustments. and nothing over the top. i decided to take a crack at 3dmark this morning. its nothing amazing. but it's where my starting point is. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/64059071

only modded the mpt for max power 360w up from 289  and 375 on the tdc.. 

also random update. turns out that xfx released 2 different versions of the black edition.  which somehow i received the higher binned version. which explains a lot as to why my card never shows up bios check either on techpowerup or even 3dmark. my manufacturer never shows up. 

hope everyone is doing well and sorry again for the delay =)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ajdahoPl said:

guys is it possible to load liquid devil 6800xt bios from liqud d, 6900xt and does it work?

Crossflashing different bios on different hardware chips ( 6800xt to 6900xt ) will get your card bricked 100% for sure , please do not do that to be safe as it does not work.

guys , yesterday i changed the paste on my liquid devil , the temperature delta between the edge and the hot spot decreased drastically from the original 30-35'C to 17-20'C ,(i also noticed that the block was poorly tightened) , while i dont understand why my oc dropped , previously 100% stable in games was setting wattman clocks min/max 2600/2700 in 3dm time spy, sometimes it would crash, on these settings I did my record 22131 gpu score, after changing the paste despite lower temperatures I will not pass time spy on clock settings over 2550/2650 - that also too much 2500/2600

What could be going on?
One thing I noticed is that before changing the paste, with clocks set at 2600/2700 real average clock in 3dmark is 2600 now it is higher 20mhz, but I can not complete test 2, and sometimes even in the first test crashes, drivers also reinstalled DDU in Safe Mode

Edited by ajdahoPl

Finally an awesome performance driver 21.7.2 from amd driver dev team. Now the rx 6900xt gpus on air and water are beating rtx 3090s on LN2 in Timespy lol  ? , just amazing what good drivers can do , hugeee performance unlocked on amd cards ...

Need to re-bench asap ... going to try crossfire X 2 6900xtxh  to see if i can beat my own rtx 3090 x2 sli on Timespy ...

Edited by chispy
  • Like 1

have to agree with chrispy. only change to my last benchmark and the one i ran just a few minutes ago is the the new driver. I was pretty reluctant but Im happy with this one.

im going to read up a little bit more. just waiting on documentation from XFX because apparently aside of the scu numbers there is a huge difference between the two XFX black editions. i ll link the two. has to do with one having more efficient vrms and being able to hold a higher voltage.. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/64342155?

holy shit i stand corrected. there are now 3 black edition variants.  

just did a quick copy paste edit. 

my contact at xfx kinda leaked but he didnt lol. no officially at least. he said the limited black editions were originally supposed to come watercooled but their was a backorder on the gpu waterblock plates and those went to the asus cards instead.(all speculation tho) maybe i can get some help if some of you on here have the other two. i have the limited black edition. need some simple benchmarks and numbers on the other two. just so i can put together a proper review of sorts.  

thats the update tho. 

3black_editions.jpg

Edited by Waffl3Ninja
  • Like 1

Just playing around ( not optimized or serious benching , just testing ) for a very short time with CrossfireX 2x rx 6900xtxh on air stock cooler , one ( Red devil Ultimate ) and one ( ASRock OC formula ) on water , very high ambient temperatures over here summer time ? , not much i can do about that but got me number 4 Global in the Hall Of Fame over at UL/Futuremark in Timespy ✔️

11.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have to give up on my endeavors lol. after doing this the hardway only to have xfx dick the limited black edition owners with an unlocked gaming black edition. wtf lmao. never seen so many black editions in my life. literally same card except the newer one kicks the usb-c port for another display port and +200 cclock.  

i admit that i fell rather full force on my face at my attempt to benchmark and everything. looks like i may need to take a step back read up a bit more. sorry guys. =(