HWBOT Community Forums

What is the X58A-OC mainboard?

Massman

background1.png

The World’s First Overclocking Motherboard - Designed by Overclockers, for Overclockers

The marketing:

The GIGABYTE X58A-OC is the world’s first motherboard designed specifically for overclocking. Bringing several new technologies together for the first time in one motherboard, the GIGABYTE X58A-OC has all the features overclockers have been asking for, making it easier than ever to take down world records.

Powered by the Intel® X58 chipset, and supporting high-end Intel® Core™ i7 CPUs including the record-breaking Intel® Core™ i7-990X Processor Extreme Edition, the GIGABYTE X58A-OC is able to push past performance boundaries maxed out by other platforms by offering native 4-way graphics support (CrossfireX) and triple channel DDR3 memory support. It’s unique layout design further increases performance potential by following the shortest pathways between key components such as the memory and CPU (for minimal latency), wider CPU zone and low profile components for easier extreme cooling insulation, memory slot spacing that doesn’t interfere with graphics card installation, and a grand total of 7 four-pin Smart Fan controllers that allow overclockers to precisely adjust fan speed and control system temperature, just to name a few …

(~ http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/265/x58a-oc.html)

The truth:

Basically, this board is what overclockers have been asking for since years: a board that has none of the fancy Gamer-minded features and all of the high-quality PWM components. Although not being the perfect mainboard (I don't need 7.1 Dolby BIOS beeps), it's a first step in the right direction.

Kudos to GIGABYTE for having the balls to do this!

I've seen your cars, you're in the same boat :D

To be fair, I make even less than you. So we should probably both be excused. I just don't have any income to save at all. :D

But hey, the mobo... Should be fine. I didn't have to pay for it though, landing at my place some time soon.

I think it is a very interesting board but coming out way too late - I would love to take it for a ride but buying a new X58 board these days is out of question for me.

If they bring something equal with P67 (or later on maybe z68) count me in for sure. So probably I'll get a UD4 next week to shorten the RMA time for my lost boards on cebit :P

Whether or not there will be a next board depends on sales largely :(

I thought about that but X58 isn't that interesting for me even I really like the approach of gigabyte here. As I said - P67 as the current "mainstream oc platform" or let's call it "SoF-compatible easy oc'ing SOB rockin' platform for extreme-CPU-binning nubs" would be great.

I hope they do not judge only on that due to sales but also what people think and say.

Another time: absolutely right way, wrong platform (for me) ;)

But I feel better oc'ing on a board that calls itself "a dedicated OC board" :D And if you have the right chip - it scales under cold :D I can't do 5.5 on my current chips under air but as soon as the single stage is on it 5589 (bad chip) or 5666 (good chip)...so give us a board Gigabyte - your biggest fanboy is waiting :D

My proof - K8NXP-SLi...still one of the boards I dream of sometimes ;)

3400MHZ.jpg

Excellent question ... quite difficult response as far as I understood the answer they gave me to this question on CeBIT.

If I remember correctly, they let the local offices decide whether to give warranty or not. It's quite a difficult topic ... I suppose they will await the RMA rate of the X58A-OC and make decisions for future OC boards based on those results.

• 4 weeks later...