HWBOT Community Forums

Overclocking Sandy Bridge on Z77

Leeghoofd

• Crew

Lo lads,

tried to OC my ahum cherrry binned 2600K on the Gene V board. Yet with the Hypers SuperPI efficinecy seems to be total POS, due to the loose timings that need to be run to be anywhere stable...

I'm getting around 2-3K less AIDA bandwith then with my old P67 scores...now even at 100MHz higher frequency. Tightening up the crucial tertiary timings ( tRSSR in particular ) results in an instant lockup or freeze :mad:

Possible solutions :

1) Is there a special SB bios for the Z77 ROG range ?

2) Or just ditch the Hypers

3) Buy a P67 bench board...

4) Steal some of SAM's BBSE's...

5) Sell all my stuff...

I'm leaning towards option 3. In last resort option 4 if I find the right people to lure Sam away from his wooden cabin in the Delt woods...

Try lowering down the CPU clocks to 2-3GHz'ish. If things still don't work well - then it's a compatibility issue. If everything works fine - it's memory quality issue (can't cope with high IMC bandwidth) and in order to have stable behavior at high CPU clocks you'll have to muscle it around with voltage.

Hypers running definitely worse than on P67. Tested on MVF and GB P67-UD7. On the M5F i need much more voltage than on the UD7 (1100-8-8-7-21-1T@1.68V vs. 1.75V) but my Performance is equal with both Boards (just tested this weekend with SPi32M@5Ghz). If i try to change the tertiary timings in windows -> also instant freeze. If i change in Bios -> error 55.

Tested with Celeron G465 and 2600K.

Conclusion: go and buy BBSE or PSC.

Edited by DopeLex

• Crew

I can't even get near the score set on a 100MHZ lower clocked CPU with 2133-2200 7-7-7-21. AIDA clearly tells me there's a big bandwith loss... Multiple issues to run the hypers 1T on Z77, unless I relax tRRSR to 6 lol

So who wants to go on a date with Sam ? So we can grab his 40 x 2200C6 BBSE kits ?

IMAG0070.jpg

He's such a cute guy (this picture was taken on his last speeddate attempt )

Sounds very weird - i don't have this issue with 1T and tRRSR.

http://img.hwbot.org/u12805/image_id_845986.jpeg

But nevertheless - also had probs to get the fuc**** SPi32M stable - on both CPU's. Finally only volts helped - with the 2600K i also had to finetune VCCIO und VCCSA on MVF while on UD7 everything ran at stock (not auto ;)) except VCore and PLL.

• Crew

tWCL was set to 6 and 7, no effect.

My Gene V board set tRRSR to 6. If I set manually to 5 it sometimes posts but freezes in winblows or gives me 55... same for Formula board.

Tried Oldscarfaces magix GTX2 kit, same crap...

P67 is far superior with Sandy and Hypers then Z77 in my book... looking for a P67 board to verify this... I need CL7, CL8 is never gonna give me a better time...

IMO just get a Z68/P67 board, Intel tried their best to get things to be equal on Z77 and Z68, but it is pretty evident that 2000 series CPUs do best in their own chipsets while 3000 series do best in their own. Intel's fail, not yours.

On 2000 series the clock gen was in the pch, now with 3000 is in the cpu that is why you have clock losses going platform to platform somtimes.