HWBOT Community Forums

HD 5870 SOC - no voltage tunning support!

Hi guys,

I was expecting that the bundled software called Gigabyte SOC Tuner that comes with the $499 card would actually work and probably one of the selling points of this card.

Turns out the software doesn't work. You raise the voltages on SOC Tuner and nada on the multimeter.

Will Gigabyte address this issue like MSI had to with MSI Afterburner (Lightnings had the same problem)? I'm afraid cards will return to reseller as 'defective' once users realize the bundled software is not working and the cards only runs at stock volts.

I'm 98% sure that it's a change from the engineers that made the "old" software not to function properly.

The Vddci, Vpci-express & Vmem work just fine, so unless I'm mistaken and my info is bad about Gigabyte fixing this, this shall be fixed soon with a new version of the utility by Gigabyte ;)

I'm 98% sure that it's a change from the engineers that made the "old" software not to function properly.

The Vddci, Vpci-express & Vmem work just fine, so unless I'm mistaken and my info is bad about Gigabyte fixing this, this shall be fixed soon with a new version of the utility by Gigabyte ;)

That's good news Bench, keep us posted because it would be very odd not to fix this.

Gigabyte common the card is on the market lets fix this quickly!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys ,

I buy a 5870 SOC , at the moment , I use OC Guru , but the one problem I found is that Voltage at Core is 1.3 v max , is so little for me . hehehe

Any News for Control Voltages with 5870 SOC ?

Perhaps new Version of OC Guru soon ?

Thank's !!! ;)

Well ,

A grafic card that cost 488 € and don't Support for Extreme Overclocking , fiasco from Gigabyte. :(

The BIOS have 2000 Mhz Core limit and the same from Memory's , but and the Voltage Tweak ? Max 1.3 v at Core . :(

How can i change voltage to up it ?

Are there some tools for change Voltage Registers ? The BIOS with RBE is closed for it.

Thank's for the info !! :)

If you know somebody or yourself can program in C/C++/VB an application to use the PMbus to change the VID of the controller, then you'll be able to set any voltage you desire.

Thank's for that info !!! ;)

Are there any software to manage Voltage Registers to use PMbus ?

I try to use the Software Voltage Factory associate with Rivatuner , but dont read registers , I think that this Software use a I2C registers and don't work well with Gigabyte 5870 SOC.

@ Massman ,

I don't manage LN2 , I am amateur Overclocker , my SOC works the Stock and on future perhaps on Air or Water Cooling , but i need know how manage Voltage Tweak and Control it very much.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ximi

Hello ,

I now think another posibility , Flash my Gigabyte Card with Asus BIOS or MSI BIOS , it's posibly ? Can I damaged my 5870 ? Or is safe for Graphic card ?

With other BIOS , with MSI After Extreme I can up Voltaje for my needs.

Thanx ! :)

How much Clocks works fine ? at Core and Mem , I refer into limits Voltage from OC Guru.

I try 1000 Mhz at Core and 1300 / or / 1350 Mhz , and dont stable for sample Graph at 3d Mark 06 , present Artifacts. LOL

How much Clocks works fine ? at Core and Mem , I refer into limits Voltage from OC Guru.

I try 1000 Mhz at Core and 1300 / or / 1350 Mhz , and dont stable for sample Graph at 3d Mark 06 , present Artifacts. LOL

On AIR cooling with 1.3vgpu + 1.6vmem your results are pretty normal.

Now if you do the VID mod and plan to cool w/ LN2 the sky is the limit, here's mine:

1.45vgpu + 1.65vmem + Ln2 (-135c):

aq3.jpg

Wow , very nice !! ;)

On H2O, with VID mod , How much is normal clocks ?

VID mod , i read some info about it , seems to put resistor to low resistance and up voltage.

Do you have some link for explain it ?

I see only 1 photo and very simple for work on it.

I Think that with VID mod is made , the OC Guru Voltage limits are unlocked , not ?

Thanx.

Wow , very nice !! ;)

On H2O, with VID mod , How much is normal clocks ?

VID mod , i read some info about it , seems to put resistor to low resistance and up voltage.

Do you have some link for explain it ?

I see only 1 photo and very simple for work on it.

I Think that with VID mod is made , the OC Guru Voltage limits are unlocked , not ?

Thanx.

For H2O OC Guru is fine you don't need any mods and with better cooling and a 120mm fan blowing on the card you will get 1000/1350 or 1050/1400 w/ no mods.

You won't see any benefits doing the VID mod for air or h20 maybe you will get worst results because the card will be too hot for that. VID mod only for Ln2 in my modest opinion.

That's Ok , I only work at Air or H2O Cooling , but I see 1.35 v on some cards at Stock Cooling , here :

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235693

With OC Guru only work since 1.3 v , do you use another Tool for up it ?

I think that I can try to use 1.35 v is safe on Air or H2O.

Thanx !

PD : I update DX11 , and work fine at Win 7 x64 , with 1000 / 1300 Mhz on 3D Mark 06 Bench.