HWBOT Community Forums

Phase cooler ?problem?

Hey there, It seems my Cooler Express Phase cooler have problems cooling my 3960x.

Does it really output that much heat?

Here are the supposed cpu temps:

Core I7 3960x: anywhere from -6*C to +3*C @ 4,5GHz

Core I7 960: -106*C @ 4,0GHz

Room temp is about 20-22*C

If it makes any difference this is the 1xCPU 1xGPU edition

Thank you fellow overclockers ^^

Where are you getting those temps from? There is no way a single stage is getting to -106, and the 3960k seems a little warm but not really sure how the dual evap systems work. Pretty sure you need to have both mounted to help balance the load. Turn off ht and switch to just two active cores see if it can keep that cold. If it doesn't then you have a problem with the unit, if it does than it just can't handle the chip. Get your own temp probe in there too.

You can find sdumper on xs or overclock.net he can help more.

Edited by reggiesanchez

leaderroy never never trust software for subsero temperatures , Trust the Unit temperature readings as it will be as close as it gets. One thing i can tell you is that unit is not design for that much load on a cpu , so in fact you might see + temperatures while running extensive and intensive cpu benchmarks , it cannot handle that load simple as that. for accurate Temps reading i would suggest what i always do when im runing my 2 Stage Blue Cascade , insert a k-type probe directly touching the cpu , read it from a digital thermometer/DMM will be 100% acurate temperatures. I had many Single stages before and they are not capable of holding big loads , thats your key right there maybeyou are expecting too much from this little unit. i hope that helps you understand it a bit better. * also you never mention voltage and mhz you were running on that 12 treaded beast cpu*

Edited by chispy

Well chispy there are SS that will handle a 3960x chip. Not sure about this cooler express stuff though

, I suppose it's not a rotary unit if it's for everyday use.

You are correct :celebration: a Custom made SS with a big rotary compresor and tune for big loads will be able to handle it but at ~38c ~48c max , i had many comercial SS before , Vapochil , OCZ Cryo Unit etc.. ( I was refering to those comercial units available all over the world like coolerexpress , vapochil that i have use and tested myself in the past and those units could not handle big loads ) Also i had a custom made single stage for huge loads 275watts cooling capacity made by SDumper there is a built log of that unit wich i sold before buying my 2 Stage Blue Cascade, the drawback of a custom made SS is the price and shipping for a unit , his unit is a comercial unit available worldwide. On this case i am just tring to make a point about this specific unit , this unit he is talking about is the 2 evaporator unit , one for cpu and one for gpu , onced you start pushing volts and overclock this units they are not capable of cooling big loads as it is sharing all the cooling power to both evaporators at the same time ( commpresor working very hard to keep up with the heat of 2 evaporators ) , wich i think its a big no no :/ since they use small compressors on this unit.

+1 at what reggiesanchez said , contact sdumper at xs or ocn :)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13091/ex-vap-20/Cooler_Express_2013_Design_Super_Evaporator_CPU_GPU_Cooling_Unit_w_Upgraded_Socket_Kit_-_All_Sockets_478_754_775_1155_1156_1366_2011_939_940_AM2_Xeon_CE-48-D-1C-1G.html?tl=g49

Edited by chispy

You are correct :celebration: a Custom made SS with a big rotary compresor and tune for big loads will be able to handle it but at ~38c ~48c max , i had many comercial SS before , Vapochil , OCZ Cryo Unit etc.. ( I was refering to those comercial units available all over the world like coolerexpress , vapochil that i have use and tested myself in the past and those units could not handle big loads ) Also i had a custom made single stage for huge loads 275watts cooling capacity made by SDumper there is a built log of that unit wich i sold before buying my 2 Stage Blue Cascade, the drawback of a custom made SS is the price and shipping for a unit , his unit is a comercial unit available worldwide. On this case i am just tring to make a point about this specific unit , this unit he is talking about is the 2 evaporator unit , one for cpu and one for gpu , onced you start pushing volts and overclock this units they are not capable of cooling big loads as it is sharing all the cooling power to both evaporators at the same time ( commpresor working very hard to keep up with the heat of 2 evaporators ) , wich i think its a big no no :/ since they use small compressors on this unit.

+1 at what reggiesanchez said , contact sdumper at xs or ocn :)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13091/ex-vap-20/Cooler_Express_2013_Design_Super_Evaporator_CPU_GPU_Cooling_Unit_w_Upgraded_Socket_Kit_-_All_Sockets_478_754_775_1155_1156_1366_2011_939_940_AM2_Xeon_CE-48-D-1C-1G.html?tl=g49

Yes I kind of understood what you meant but well I felt like being picky :D

So to the creator of this thread, I'd say don't use this SS with 3960x. It's too much of a heatload (probably 300w+ when you reach over 5 GHz). This kind of SS is targeted at quads like 2600k/3770k together with a medium powered GFX like GTX680. (Not fermi please :D)

@ Calatea :)

@l0ud sil3nc3 , those units Ron makes are awsome , you got a monster SS bro , it is tune for high loads :) , nice.

@ leaderroy , im affraid there is not much to upgrade or do on that unit due to space for a big compressor inside the metal casing , i did mod a Vapochill before but only changed my whole evaporator , re-gas , re-tune and cap tube , i use a Steeper evaporator made by Piotres at that time , it did help with holding big loads , but at the end i spent so much money upgrading and tuning my old vapochill it was not worth the hassle :/ hence it was money lost and a lot of time consuming work for a couple of degrees. I would suggest if you want to get into extreme overclocking subsero get a propper custom made Single Stage dedicated for cpu cooling only and tuned for holding big loads 275+ watts , there is plenty of people who can make a custom made single stage made. I would suggest you keep this unit as it is , just try to keep a low volt and low overclock on your cpu and gpu , remember you are cooling 2 elements with one single small compresor at the same time. I hope that helps.

Regards: Angelo

• 3 months later...

hi guys,

first time for me, running a single stage.

it runs perfectly, but coretemp shows positive temperatures in Windows. ..it's more than positive!

the evap has minus 50 degrees and the cpu at just 4.5 ghz and 1.26 volts 30 degrees plus through coretemp...this can't be true!

the 3960x is pretested by hazzan and can do 5635@1.585!

i was able to run 5400 under water...now under ss i have too much problems.

coretemp shows positive temps. at 5500 load it shows 60 degrees plus, while the evap has minus 46 degrees!

so i think it's a wrong readout...does anyone have that before, too?

hazzan said...under 28 degrees minus it's too cold...so if i can believe the evap, I'm too cold, or could it be, that the cpu is so damn hot???

i bought it from someone who managed a 3930k at 5550 with minus 38 degrees...stable at evap!