HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT OC Challenge August 2010 thread.

Massman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is LOD permitted?

Yes! :)

Whats up with the top 3 showing only 1,2 of 7 tests then all 7 in the orb?

How do you mean?

Note that with 3DMark01, you can change the run order for better scores. So, you can tweak your clocks/lod for every subtest seperatelly.

I was un-aware of the 3dmark allowing you to run them indevidually (call me Mr Noob) I was just looking at there verification image and noticed it would have only 1, or 2 tests completed, and that the Orb would have a different CPU frenquency then the image verification, so needless to say I became confused. I brought it up so some one would explain it to me :D

The difference in the two is located in the Nature subtest. The GTX275 will give you roughly 1250-1300FPS whereas the 4890 might only give a 1100FPS score, which is like a difference of 3000p overall. Now, the 4890 (or ati) is known to be better in the system benchmarks (cars and lobbies), so normally you can make up for that loss a bit.

The issue is that there might be a nature 'bug' with the Ph-2 just like there is with the Nehalem platform. Basically, the Core 2 Duo platform gives you a single GPU Nature of 1500FPS easily, whereas nehalem (even at high clocks) will have scaling issues past 1100-1150FPS. In this case, the 4890 is a better choice because of the better other subtests ... but I don't know if this is also the case for PH-2.

Hope this helps

this helps a ton! I really need to get to the point of finding these findings for myself. I guess the more you bench, the more you learn!

Thanks master massman!

• 2 weeks later...