HWBOT Community Forums

Suggestion for Rev 4/5/6/99

Just a quick reminder: there are cups to get, too... lots of prestige there. If you're 2 boints behind a guy in 3dmark01, you've actually shown thatyour skill is very, very close to the guy who is in your front - so your reward for putting up a very good score should show that it's close. But it's also not the best score, it got beaten, so it will only get a silver cup.

The percentual increase is a good idea, but has some complications. For instance, what do we do in categories where there are very few results? The average or offset cannnot be determined exactly, so it's possible that someone will get 2x the score of the average only because he tested LN2 on the card and the others only stock air and no overclock.

Also, this makes using a 980X with older hardware a lot more beneficial since it'll allow you to beat previous scores by quite a large margin. Also, previous good scores will loose points more quickly, I think.

Ranking by efficiency is not possible because there's no controlling mechanism. People will downclock just to get more points and we won't be able to do anything about it. I don't see why we should give people an equal amount of points either (it kinda defeats the concept of getting people to push harder) ... if you want more points, you have to beat the score in front of you, not equal it.

Actually with the current misinformation assigned to turbo (read I7 and now thuban) it would be harder.

Easy to run a single threaded bench and score higher on CPUZ...also vica versa get scores that don't equal the benchmark like i7 has been doing for a long time thanks to turbo...

Dunno what you guys are going to do after hydra...

Hey :) I didnt come up with the idea to deliberately hurt their scores :) Changes usually affect *someone* negatively.... just bad luck. Whatever changes happen/are proposed in the future, I dont think HWB will scrap them to avoid hurting the scores/ rankings of 1-2 teams.

Rev2 wasn't entirely kind of XS for example....

XS was handed their walking papers by OCA... :)

A/ you made your choices for the categories you participate in.

B/ If its unpopular hardware, why should it be heavily awarded?

C/ Cater to new hardware? What company gives a shit about s478? s462? What OC competition will feature that hardware to attract attention? Upcoming 28nm parts must make you twitch with anger!

Points clearly aren't motivating you... else you'd be benching popular hardware categories, right? If its not your motivation, why do you care so much about how they are rewarded?

Unpopular categories would be excluded from my idea because there probably wouldn't be enough info/ enough submissions to gauge good scores from bad.

A: Yes we did make the choice of what to bench with.

B: No, heavily rewarding unpopular hardware isn't a good idea since as you've pointed out, less competition there normally means it's easier to get a good score and points to go with it.

Have to agree with you for the most part on that.

C: I don't care what company caters to what, I'm going to do what I can with what I have to do it with.

As to comps with older hardware, check out some of the HWbot monthly comps that's been held this year - That's right.... At least two I can name did just that with Socket A and Socket 754 and I did participate in those.

As to the statement about points not being a motivator or you'd be in the more/most popular categories, it's not always as cut and dried as that for everyone.

BTW, I COULD invest more $$ than I do in it (Lots more in fact) but I don't and that's my choice. My priorities are my own and I have my reasons for them being as such.

As for the rest...

Some of us simply cannot afford the newest "Toy" to bench with on a regular basis and this applies to alot of folks starting out here, making do with what they can get, plus availability of parts based on where you live plays a part.

This is where the "Skill" part comes in, esp in lesser/unpopular categories and proves one's ability to tweak things. True, luck also plays a part in the pieces you have could be really good or just a crappy one like a fantastic clocking 555BE vs another like it that tops out early with lots of voltage.

Also for some, the sheer enjoyment of competing is the thing and I can say on my part, I find it to be relaxing after a tough day of work and that's my motivation.

Turn it on and let 'er rip is how I unwind.

Also note I have posted some runs with AM3 stuff so no, I don't post exclusively with older stuff. I'm game to bench anything I get and run it till it goes or blows up.

Edited by Bones

I'm 63 years old and have more disposable income than any of the younger ones, as I am Retired.

The chance to bench an older piece of equipment is much more challenging than the newer equipment,

which I can overclock using software through windows while running;

Such as Easy Tune 5 or 6 that comes with the Gigabyte boards that I am using on a daily basis.

So,Buying LN2 Pots and such is not out of my reach,

Buying LN2 is not out of my reach either.

Buying any kind of hardware that I want to own is not out of my reach.

So,You all spend your money where you like and I will spend mine where I like as well.

But because you can buy what ever new hardware there is is no reason to favor a Point system change to favor the Elite among the HWBOT Membership.

Do it with your BIOS and see the difference in the challenge;

It takes skill and experience to make a machine run Stable so that it completes the Benchmark test.