HWBOT Community Forums

Team runs

mtzki

• Crew
Careful with such remarks, there are places in the world where a GTX295 costs twice as much compared to the medium salary...

Then that IS very little money. Not saying it is because you're stupid or lazy that these people's incomes are low... However, is it THAT bad in Georgia?

I think he's from Romania! ;-)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Georgia? C'mon, where does it says that? Romania here bro :)

The medium official salary here is ~310 Euros / month

The minimum official salary here is ~130 Euros / month

Now, I don't want to eat s**t, I was making 700 Euros / month when I got into advertising, and ~ 1500 Euros / month just before I got out of that bussines, so I am not complaining about myself. But the point is that a salary of 1000 Euros / month here means you have a very good job. There are a whole bunch of guys working for way less salary than that. That is not a tragic thing, there are a bunch of things here that cost less then in more western countries. BUT....hardware is more expensive, so comparing that to a normal salary...yeah...it can be a pain in the butt.

Also, think about the fact that there are OTHER places in the world where the situation is much worse than here.

Why should that matter to HWBot? Well, it probablly shouldn't. But be aware that money play a BIG part in this game, not just a little one.

I totally agree. Just that for some people is just very money consuming and for others almost impposible. And I don't know why we are still talking about this, I just said that remarks like "you must be making VERY little money if you can't afford X hardware" are not ok, taking into consideration that this is a multi national site (I know he didn't mean anything wrong, but he just forgot that there are les fortunate places in the world). I take it the official HWBot opinion is that such remarks are ok?

I totally agree. Just that for some people is just very money consuming and for others almost impposible. And I don't know why we are still talking about this, I just said that remarks like "you must be making VERY little money if you can't afford X hardware" are not ok, taking into consideration that this is a multi national site (I know he didn't mean anything wrong, but he just forgot that there are les fortunate places in the world). I take it the official HWBot opinion is that such remarks are ok?

Sure, I live in a wealthy country. But that doesn't mean I'm rich, students over here get VERY little. After food, rent, subway ticket, phone bill I have like €50 left. That's not much at all for HW. However, I can still afford alot as I cut down as much as I can on my food expenses and phone calls;) Not saying it's a smart choice, but it's an option for the less fortunate of us. But of course, if you must go out and drink beer every weekend, then you need a decent job to be able to bench good HW if you have a low-paid job in a "poor" country.

and we agree on the fact that cost is impossible to take into account for ranking, but does play a role

I totally agree, taking that into consideration into rankings is quite impossible.

knopflerbruce It is hard everywhere bro, top notch tools mean top notch money everywhere, I am aware of that. In the end, that is also what passion and crazyness are there for, just like in any other hobby :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Crew

I've got a question about group benching, but not with team mates. The question on sharing hardware within a team is clear and I agree with the rules. My nearest team mate though is about 7000-7500km from me, others even more.

But last weekend I was having a bench session with another team from my city, with the people I know. Maybe it's the last, maybe it's not, but is hardware sharing between me and another team allowed? We just took the HW out of the bags on the table and oc'ed everything what eyes saw first. I surely understand that they can't share results of one HW within their team and there were a few CPU's of one model, what will be seen by their stepping, when they are out.

But the different team benching is a question, I wanted to figure out. Nobody is pushing his team higher, cause we are in different ones.

• 6 months later...