HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT Country Cup 2010 thread.

SteveRo

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew

At least you can contribute... at first you have no idea if it's for better of for worse !! As you have got no idea how the outcome will be... you can decide in the end if your final score will lower the total much yes or no,.. it's the score algorithm that will make or break it... can you motivate yourself to post an inferior score on stock cooling, when someone else put the same card on SS or LN2 already... posting that score is useless in the current state...

If you fail to see that, then I rest my case... I'm out, no need to discuss it any longer

I think it's a nice idea to have different HW, it solves GPU sharing issues in a very elegant way:D

Think you look at it way to basic... it doesn't solve anything it makes it a bit more harder ( maybe )

Edited by Leeghoofd

Now you can also join the team, even if you submission doesn't help the score in a particular stage. Even if it was just to motivate the troops ...

I don't understand how 'I contributed' outweighs 'I made our score worse and the team drop in the rankings'. I would even argue that contributing a score that hurts the team average is worse for the team-spirit and promotes the desire of the individual.

Being at the side and supporting/cheering on/helping your team mates even if you don't get any personal gain out of it is, in my opinion, much more 'team spirit' than trying to get some credit for yourself (= submitting a score) and hurting the team by doing so.

• Crew
Leeghoofd

which overclocking competition won't end up with ln2 cooled high-ends card dominating everything?

i mean unless you restrict the cooling methods it will always end up like this

Yep, but with the use diff hardware rule, there aren't many options open, if one of the country members goes straight out and bench the bejeezus out of a card on phase or LN2... I don't see myself buying a GTX 570 or co for a single stage :P

a question about this rule:

"In addition to last year's rules, the top-3 must use different (!) hardware."

what does hardware mean? for gpu benchmarks differenct gpus and for cpu benchmarks differenct cpus, memory benchmarks different memory?

Stage 1: Single VGA Heaven DX11-- ONLY different graphics card is needed?

Stage 2: MaxxMem LGA1366 ------- ONLY different memery is needed?

Stage 3: 3DMark03 IGP.------------ ONLY different cpu is needed?

Stage 4: SuperPI 32M LGA775------ ONLY different cpu is needed?

Stage 5: 3DMark01 un-LGA775'd---- ONLY different graphics card is needed?

Stage 6: Reference Clock AMD------ ONLY differenc cpu is needed?

thanks and good luck for everybody

Hmm, I like this different hardware rule, it makes people find the best 3 solutions and use them, instead of using the obvious 3 x same most powerfull solution (like 3 x GTX 580 for 3 Unigine scores, now had to be done with GTX 580 and two other model VGA's). I think this is a very good addition to the competition. At this moment the only 2 things I am not very fond of are the period for the competition, and the Maxxmem which I personally really do not like, but that's just my opinion :)

Pro-tip for this competition:

The engine does NOT select the best possible combination to calculate the average for you, but automatically selects the highest scores. This means the team needs to figure out what's the best combo!

canada_oh_canada.png

Mkultra is now taking up the slot for the GTX580, which prevents FtW from using his GTX580 score to help the team or Mkultra for having his GTX480. So, if you count the scores that are being used for the competition now you get:

1952.05 - GTX580 - Mkultra

1306.54 - GTX570 - Micul

785.42 - GTX460 - Jibz

-> Average = 1348.17

Now, if Mkultra allows FTW to take the GTX580 slot by deleting his submission, the ranking becomes:

1673.49 - GTX580 - FtW

1671.63 - GTX480 - Mkultra

1306.54 - GTX570 - Micul

-> Average = 1550.55