HWBOT Community Forums

making my own ln2 pot, input appreciated

Johnd0e

little update since im bored.

waiting to hear back about the nickle plating and anodizing. just going with black anodized, maybe clear on the hold down. it all gets covered up anyways, so not going to get crazy with colors.

in the meantime while i wait for that ive been finishing off things like the probe hole, counter boreing all the holes in the hold down plate to keep the spring in place and centered, made some inserts for the springs to better fit the threaded rods, and currently im working on a backplate and a "funnel" style top/extension since im not entirely happy with my current extension.

back plate for every pattern i have at my disposal to measure off of. might go a tad thicker and make the threaded holes bottom out instead of going through.

x1IPvvs.jpg

funnel extension.

59M7Lsk.jpg

34TZMsB.jpg

Keep in mind that with the backplate you'll need to avoid components and pins in the back. If you're going to go with all of those holes, I would recommend doing a raised portion in the center to make sure you are not making contact further out than you need to.

It's kind of hard to explain... assume the red area is raised:

PDoiO5z.png

I get what your saying.

For some reason i was thinking that since you put insulation between the backplate and board it wouldnt damage components.....but thinking about it somemore, i realize it doesnt matter what material is between the backplate and board becuase its going to be exerting the same force on everything.

I think ill just simplify things and rearrange the holes or just make two seperate plates.

Ill draw up some stuff tonight and post it.

Thanks for all the help throughout the course of this "project" haha.

You're not wrong assuming you do put something between the backplate and the board, like a few pieces of closed cell foam or a nice piece of rubber. I use the backplate from my F1 Dark to mount my watercooling stuff sometimes, so it's nice to use it without the need for insulation sometimes as well.

new drawing of single plate with all holes.

SKqMDUp.jpg

ill just have to clock the plate left or right depending on which socket im using it on.

let me know what you think.

the foot print is about the same as a kingpin bracket(i have one sitting in front of me)

finished up the "BIG" top.

pkZq99A.jpg

compared to my original top/extension. i also went ahead and tappered my little top on the inside to make the opening bigger.

also received my mocf today.

little top:

NS8Vseb.jpg

BIG top:

kvF7slV.jpg

i might shorten up the center section even more to get the hold down even closer to the board. kind of want to test it with a memory pot first though to make sure i wont run into clearance issues.

anyways, back plate is next on the agenda.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks bass.

haven't been able to make any progress on the back plate yet since machines are always tied up at work.

but i just got a "couple" of these from @bartx,

TA0afVj.jpg

so going to draw up a ram pot now and whenever a machine opens up ill knock out the backplate and two ram pots.

probly going to just use aluminum for the ram pots, easier to machine....less expensive as well. and if they dont work good then ill just suck it up and make them out of copper.

Edited by Johnd0e

alluminium shuold be quite good, no need to go so down with temp on ddr4

Very true, afr likes cold but not like psc or bdbg. Only one concern I have is make sure it has some mass/weight to it or controlling temps will be impossible with lin.

thanks for the info guys. ill work on the more weight thing. and its good to know Aluminum wont be a "poor" choice if that's the route i go, ill just have to leave a lot more material to make up for the material being lighter and less conductive .or something like that?

anyways, spent a little time last night drawing up the rough drafts for the pots. (measurements are in inches)

Copper pot(Cu base with Al top):

9lxiNbr.jpg

Aluminum pot:

PEq7lEP.jpg

(the internal slots are not finalized, still figuring all that out)

really difficult to not make them be direct "knock offs" of the pots available from retailers, not really much i can do about it though...ill try and figure something out, i hate "copying" peoples parts without their consent.

anyways ill mess with them some more. need to do some math's and figure out an estimated weight for each pot with no internal machining and figure out exactly what sort of surface area i can get without going to light.

Edited by Johnd0e