HWBOT Community Forums

Old School is Best School Season 3 Round 5

• Crew

This comes very late, so there wont be any consequences but validating your Rage card under Windows 98 just with Powerstrip isnt enough.

As you might see, the categories are divided into GPU core, memory size, memory bus.

Powerstrip shows us exactly nothing of those informations.

I mean 3dmark99 is a zero points category and this is mostly a fun competition so no one cares but the rules say that you have to use GPU-Z. If you cant use GPU-Z, you have to find a substitute.

Everest / AIDA should be still Win98 compatible.

https://forums.aida64.com/topic/564-aida-and-windows-98/

So for the next time... :)

... One result has a photo as validation, may I ask what is intention of this?

Oups

That's me

:D

This is one of my results.

I was unstable and couldnt take the screenshot.

i had instant freezes ... so i took a photo.

The score is valid ... and it's obvious that the system is mine (no loan photo).

If somebody complains about this score , you can do what you consider best.

It's not a big deal for me , because i have an other score a few ms slower.

TASOS`s SuperPi - 1M score: 1min 57sec 830ms with a Athlon 900 (Thunderbird, Slot A)

Sorry for the extra moderating work.

• Crew

The intention is to keep the categories clean.

What I see here is a lot of Rage 128 submissions where we dont see where they should belong. There is a major performance difference between 128bit and 64bit and Rage 128 Pro GPU vs non pro (and a minor performance gap between 16MB and 32MB) .

Photos of the card just dont help here. The only thing which helps here is an everest / AIDA screen. GPU-Z is also okay but it is bugged.

Rage Fury MAXX cards are no problem.

Im sorry if you feel overlooked. I just thought I should mention this for the next time.

Can AIDA really tell if your rage card is 64bit or 128bit ?

To be honest i'm not sure . I have tested 10+ cards and only one of them was reported as 128bit by AIDA .

Of course i couldn't see any performance difference from the other 64bit cards (as reported by AIDA) .

I believe the best way is to read the core letters after removing the heatsing ( GL & VR revision )

• Administrators

The rage cards and the way they are verified and sorted at database is not my business and no problem for the competition, so feel free to do this the way you think it is best, this is something you will have to handle, Gregor. For the competition this was good enough as we limited to rage and made no difference on sub categories. @TASOS I will block your score, sorry, but screenshot is the only verification accepted, good you have a seond result submitted :)

• Crew
Can AIDA really tell if your rage card is 64bit or 128bit ?

To be honest i'm not sure . I have tested 10+ cards and only one of them was reported as 128bit by AIDA .

Of course i couldn't see any performance difference from the other 64bit cards (as reported by AIDA) .

I bought some cards too, honestly just because to get this chaos sorted and I saw a rather big difference between 128bit and 64bit. I only have one 128bit card. All other were 64bit.

Strunkenbold`s 3DMark2001 SE score: 1309 marks with a Rage 128 Pro (128bit, 32Mb)

Strunkenbold`s 3DMark2001 SE score: 839 marks with a Rage 128 Pro (64bit, 32Mb)

Strunkenbold`s 3DMark2001 SE score: 796 marks with a Rage 128 Pro (64bit, 16Mb)

GPU-Z shows a difference between those cards too. DDR memory for the 64bit version. But as far as Im aware there wasnt such memory available for those cards.

Any input into this matter would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks to Frank for setting up the stages, to Michael for his light-handed moderation throughout, to Gregor for putting up with us, and to all participants for a fun Season 3 of OSIBS. I tried my darnedest and pushed my gear as hard as I could and still came nowhere close to what the HwBox Hellas boys were able to accomplish. Some truly impressive scores along the way from a lot of different teams on a lot of different legacy platforms. Thanks for the good times!

• Crew

Well I didnt test all versions of AIDA so I cant say which version is the best. I usually keep everest220 with me around. Small file size and in general should be enough to detect those cards.

Detection issues was all what hold you back from benching? Well thats rather sad fact for hwbot.

This comes very late, so there wont be any consequences but validating your Rage card under Windows 98 just with Powerstrip isnt enough.

As you might see, the categories are divided into GPU core, memory size, memory bus.

Powerstrip shows us exactly nothing of those informations.

I mean 3dmark99 is a zero points category and this is mostly a fun competition so no one cares but the rules say that you have to use GPU-Z. If you cant use GPU-Z, you have to find a substitute.

Everest / AIDA should be still Win98 compatible.

https://forums.aida64.com/topic/564-aida-and-windows-98/

So for the next time... :)

I thought there was a page in powerstrip that shows the hardware information of the card, Trouble is I don't think you can show that page and the performance page with the clocks at the same time... maybe the driver tab might show the architecture...