HWBOT Community Forums

Intel processor shortage (10X series 2066)

max1024

For anyone not a secret is that there is now a shortage of Intel processors of the 10th series from Socket2066. I am interested in the 18-core model 10980XE, but it is nowhere in the US (I plan to purchase in this region). Maybe someone know where to buy ?, although I track information on special sites for availability, but nowhere is there any deadline. Perhaps someone knows those who work or relate to Intel directly and make the situation worse. De jure there was a paper announcement, de facto there was nothing else, and almost 2 months have passed.

https://www.gearinstock.com/intel-core-i9-10980xe-processor-pre-order-in-stock-availability-tracker/

6 minutes ago, max1024 said:

But seriously? What happens and when will it end? But there are still rumors about an allegedly 22-core processor on  2066 socket.

22 core cpu wouldn't pull any cpus from the stock of 18c and below. It uses a different die so it'd pull from dies currently only used on lga 3467 as it would have to come out of the 28 core die. As far as the shortage, the best way to get cpus is inside deals. HFT is buying up all of the lga 2066 cpus they can because the alternative to them is to run a bunch of servers with 9900ks, HFT needs the fastest cores they can get and will pay whatever it takes to get them.

High frequency traders (if interested into the subject matter you might have a look into Flash Boys by Michael Lewis); although I'm a bit surprised they would choose i9-10980XEs. i9-9990XE or i9-9900K(S) might be superior depending on the use case. FPGAs are pretty popular now, too.

15 minutes ago, Hyperhorn said:

High frequency traders (if interested into the subject matter you might have a look into Flash Boys by Michael Lewis); although I'm a bit surprised they would choose i9-10980XEs. i9-9900XE or i9-9900K(S) might be superior depending on the use case. FPGAs are pretty popular now, too.

Well depends on how big a trader they are, more cores means less servers. Bigger the trader with more money they can afford more servers with less cores per box. They'll use cascade lake over Skylake refresh because the hardware mitigations for meltdown are way faster than software 

They do also use fpgas, just depends on the customer. I saw the trays of cpus at a company that builds oc servers for hft so they had all kinds. 

Edited by yosarianilives

41 minutes ago, max1024 said:

I confess I am surprised by the above. A little shocked o.O
The question remains when will they get enough, or what to do before this happens? Also, we are interested in figures on the production output of this processor model, say for a week?

That I wouldn't know, but I can say that intel makes way more cpus than AMD and still is at 100% sales.

So, particularly talking about this screenshot:
Intel_i9_10990XE.jpg.2485ec0ee45fcfe9ea80c01ba44859e0.jpg

CPUID wise, for skylake-X and cascadelake-X bits [6:3] don't matter as they are the same for the entire product block (0050), all that matters is what is displayed, particularly the cpuid stepping which goes as follows:

650: Skylake A0/A1
651: Skylake A2
652: Skylake B0 / L0
653: Skylake OEM mystery
654: Skylake Retail
655: Cascade Lake ES / QS
656: Cascade Lake ES / QS
657: Cascade Lake Retail

Seeing as that screenie is a 651, either originally it was of a skylake A2 CPU or intel for some reason decided to spin a new die just for the 22 core cascade lake chip and on top of that give it a brand new CPUID with a different family ID which is super unlikely.

• Like 3