HWBOT Community Forums

Aquamark wrapper won't run on old GPUs

• Crew

Don't see a thread on this case but current Aquamark wrapper doesn't work on old GPUs. Tested on Prosavage DDR, SiS 315 integrated and Mirage.

The benchmark itself works as usual. The wrapper shows a black screen for a second after you hit the run button and immediately pops back to main screen. Systeminfo, priority and the rest don't help with this one.
315.zip is SiS 651 chipset. Aquamark.zip is SiS 661 chipset.

Aquamark3.zip 315.zip

Edited by Antinomy
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I also have a problem with Aquamark. First, It doesn't start on my i845 integrated GPU.

But, after playing around with priority, aquamarka does start. Then I have to start aquamark and my result is shown, but after this, the hwbot aquamark "launcher" app is closing... and it's frustrating, because I wait 30 minutes (lol old gear) and there are no results! Is there any solution?

• Crew
17 minutes ago, ludek said:

Is there any clue what happens to the wrapper? Is this to do with low memory count? Or some software timmings?

I believe that at some point (after another update) the wrapper enforced using Aquamark's default settings which are AF at least and maybe some more. But when a hardware can't support these, Aqua would run with downgraded (automatically) settings. And the wrapper detects this downgrade and just throws it out.
So I can run Aqua without wrapper but it'll exit immediately using it.

• Sad 1

• Crew
1 hour ago, GENiEBEN said:

should I add a 'legacy' option for such hardware, clearly marked in UI?

IMHO it would be best to behave like original Aquamark - set default settings on auto but when hardware can't make it, lower down to it's capabilities. So you can't lower settings below default for capable hardware (like things are now) but so you can run it on older hardware with lowered settings by Aqua itself.

I'll provide any help I can to fix this, just PM me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never played with 3d benchmarks, (but now I am). I remember old aquamark benchmark. It is one of good old one, that run on GeForce 2 or pentium 3 integratedGpu.

I didn't know about any work-arounds like resolution changing before save the result. It would be great if the Aqua wrapper project was resurrected.

Edited by ludek

9 hours ago, Antinomy said:

IMHO it would be best to behave like original Aquamark - set default settings on auto but when hardware can't make it, lower down to it's capabilities. So you can't lower settings below default for capable hardware (like things are now) but so you can run it on older hardware with lowered settings by Aqua itself.

I'll provide any help I can to fix this, just PM me.

I see, this does remove a layer of security, will see what compromise I can make. Also, do you happen to have a list of common issue reports? I can remember the issue with cyrillics in paths and the file size (can default to lower quality and also check result file if it goes over a threshold), anything else that comes to mind?

• Crew
26 minutes ago, GENiEBEN said:

anything else that comes to mind?

No, not to me.

26 minutes ago, GENiEBEN said:

this does remove a layer of security

Well, the point is to make it's behaviour like the original Aquamark. So settings don't get downscaled on modern hardware, only on old ones. Like the original Aquamark was.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys.

Are there any new Information's or Updates about this Behavior?

Tried a bunch of Things, but i also wasn't able to get a Geforce4 MX 440 to work.
Opened the Application and started the Aquamark.exe out of the HWBot-Aquamark-Folder manually.
With this i was able to make a Datafile which let me Upload a 0-Points Score.

For Future-Benching we maybe could:
- add a Screenshot-Only-Button for Aquamark-Results with very old Cards/Hardware
- upload the Results with Datafile and Zero-Score, then edit it manually

@Leeghoofd
If this Procedure is acceptable, please edit the Score of this Sub. Thank you.
https://hwbot.org/submission/5032426

Best Greetings

20090703-083448.png

Thanks for the Hint.
In the last Days i tried that; without Success.
When i click on Start, the Screen becomes black and then it throws me back to Desktop with the Message: non-default Settings
After this, i don't have any aquamark3.exe which i could kill in the Taskmanager. It kills it self after the Black-Screen.

Then i tried to get a Score with Manual-Run. It starts and runs fine.
But after the Run, the Wrapper Crashes; every Time.

Did i overlooked something? Are there any further Ideas?

@Mr.Scott
Does the Hint from Splave work for you?

@Leeghoofd
Since the Score wasn't edited; would be a Solution, to make a full-length Video Proof, valid?

• Crew

With the current API we can't do anything you proposed. It is either the one or the other, scores can't be edited when using a datafile.

In fact Genieben is the only one that can update the wrapper to make it more compatible with eg older/newer hardware

• 2 weeks later...
  • Crew
On 7/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, mrmouse said:

When i click on Start, the Screen becomes black and then it throws me back to Desktop with the Message: non-default Settings
After this, i don't have any aquamark3.exe which i could kill in the Taskmanager. It kills it self after the Black-Screen.

The problem has been around for several years. In two words - the behaviour of original Aquamark and wrapper is different. If your card doesn't support required settings, it downscales them (like 3DMark 01 for example with Z-buffer). But the wrapper detects this as "non-default settings" and terminates.

I hope some day @GENiEBEN will have time to fix this one.

• Like 1