HWBOT Community Forums

Best mobo Z87-Z97 for OC?

Kashtan

I have got two Z97 OC Formula, but both sadly with issues. Maybe couldnt to repair. 

CPU is 4980HQ and 5775C . 

I ordered a third one.
But the repairman told me today that this model is not stable, they are buggy, he had 30 pieces, and all are buggy.
What can you advise?
I have compiled a short list of possible applicants:

Z87 OC Formula

MAXIMUS VI EXTREME

MSI Z87 Xpower

Evga Z87 Classified

MAXIMUS VII IMPACT

MSI Z97 Xpower

Evga Z97 Classified

Any opinions to appreciate. 

Edited by Kashtan

• Kashtan changed the title to Best mobo Z87-Z97 for OC?
  • Crew

I think you repair man is full off.... ofcourse with the non conformal coating it is a nitemare to repair... what happened to your boards ?

Still have my first Z97 OC board, after hundreds of hours under LN2 and the Cascade, it looks like crap but boots and benches fine....

if I had to choose from your list, it would be the Z87 OC

Thanks for answer.

First OCF i`m bent pins (my bad) in socket , attempting finalised lost of one. Mobo starting but only ten minuts a worked. Next 4 months this mobo see many attempts to solder this one pin. As final - lost next 5 pins. Next two repair mans did not want to do anything. The fourth agreed to re-solder the socket, re-soldered it twice, but the result is disappointing. Today I went on a 5 trip, this time a service center.

Second OCF  - first day has been trouble with IO bios, rewriting, but the first time it did not turn on. There could be attempts to turn on, but after a moment it went out. For a month I tried to work with her, I even made three validations on XTU. It was a successful binned 4980. But then it got worse. Overclocking became impossible. In the end, the last week at the tenth minute, everything began to freeze hard without overclocking, even if it was possible to start it for the hundredth time.
Today, she also went to the same service center

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ivaneza said:

I will choose Z87 OC Formula and VII Impact, both of them clock every major IC very well, another plus for OCF is you can directy dial in RTLs and IOLs, VII Impact RTLs and IOLs depends on your stick's quality and initial RTL

You can manually set RTLs most of the time, there are just some edge cases where auto works better.

OCF also sometimes seems to struggle with high freq samsung more than the Impact 7.

The Giga LN2 board is obviously the best board for mem oc though.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 4:42 PM, Noxinite said:

You can manually set RTLs most of the time, there are just some edge cases where auto works better.

OCF also sometimes seems to struggle with high freq samsung more than the Impact 7.

The Giga LN2 board is obviously the best board for mem oc though.

Correct, if you aiming to clock high freg samsung, use Impact 7.. mine above 2850ish not producing any good result.. below my screen back then @Kashtan

Z87OCF.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably, the question should be singled out as a separate topic.

Need advice on choosing a best motherboard for 4980HQ.
It turns out that
1) Gigabyte does not support Crystal Well (4980HW is the flagship of this line).
2) Asrock incorrectly detects voltage, so, unfortunately, OC Formula is also bypassed, example my Z97 showed in BIOS:
CPU Vcore 0 - + 4.080V
CPU Vcore 1 - + 4.080V
CPU Vcore 2 - NA
CPU Vcore 3 - NA

3) Crystal Well works correctly with 87 chipsets, but not always with 97.

I have to choose from what is left. 

So, It is unknown how it will work with the Z87 OCF.

Someone has experience with CrystalWell? 

I found few articles in web

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-high-end-intel-z87-motherboard-shootout/temperature-power-consumption-overclocking-35

but here not Xpower, Evga. Favorit here is VI Extreme. 

Also add VRm list, from Z87 best - Xpower, but Evga Classified 

not presented, so the list is not final, not to mention the overclocking capabilities.

vrmlist.png