HWBOT Community Forums

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS APEX Z790 | APEX 15

15 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I ran into the same difficulties installing W7 on Z690 and finally gave up trying to do it from USB. I used a SATA ODD and W7 OEM DVD with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard and then installed drivers after setup was finished. I was never able to figure out what the problem was injecting the missing USB drivers. The W7 USB install media that I had used for Z490 and Z590 would not work. Sadly, I am not able to run W7 anymore because neither of my GPUs will function on W7 due to lack of driver support.

https://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/support/

Buy this, when on discount.

It injects everything you need to make usb installs.

Win7 on Uefi usb installation works normal, for me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, suzuki said:

https://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/support/

Buy this, when on discount.

It injects everything you need to make usb installs.

Win7 on Uefi usb installation works normal, for me.

Thank you. I already own it and used it in the past with great success, but it would not work for me on Z690 Apex, Z690 Strix or Z690 Dark. Not sure why it did not, but it not working is the reason I had to resort to using DVD/SATA ODD and PS/2 mouse and keyboard to complete the installation. At this point it is irrelevant though. When I sold the 3090 KPE that was my last GPU that had driver support. My 4090 and A770 have no Windows 7 driver support, which really sucks. Windows 7 was the last good version of Windows.

Flashboot allowed me to run the 3090 in pure UEFI mode with adjustable bar support enabled and working (which is supposedly not supported... just one of the many lies fabricated to try to get people to drink the Kool-Aid).

Edited by Mr. Fox
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:50 AM, suzuki said:

On z690 Kingpin works 100%(all usb) , i made it recently.

I think also xp32b but no support for xp64b.

I just checked and it looks like an updated version is available. I had 3.3m (which did not work) but just downloaded 3.3p to test. I have the Pro version so I didn't have to purchase the new release.

No GPU drivers are needed for CPU benchmarks, so there is still a valid use for Windows 7 for benching. I wish someone with the knowledge and skill would do a driver mod to support 40-series RTX GPUs on Windows 7.

Edit: the Flashboot v3.3p worked perfectly to install Windows 7 in UEFI (no CSM) on the Z690 Dark.

Edited by Mr. Fox
update on v3.3p
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2023 at 8:18 AM, safedisk said:

Octool Linux version broken system with kernel panic on libz

Edited by pipes

On 12/19/2023 at 10:24 AM, Mr. Fox said:

I ran into the same difficulties installing W7 on Z690 and finally gave up trying to do it from USB. I used a SATA ODD and W7 OEM DVD with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard and then installed drivers after setup was finished. I was never able to figure out what the problem was injecting the missing USB drivers. The W7 USB install media that I had used for Z490 and Z590 would not work. Sadly, I am not able to run W7 anymore because neither of my GPUs will function on W7 due to lack of driver support.

Thanks - I guess I'll try going down the ODD path

• Like 1

I wish we could have a BIOS for the Apex that allows us to disable Intel ME and the option to toggle the boot priority menu at POST (both features on the EVGA Dark mobos that I absolutely love and use 100% of the time). Does anyone here know how to mod the firmware to add those missing valuable feature that ASUS conveniently omits?

I always multi-boot all of my computers and having the POST process halt and wait for me to select a drive to boot from is way better than having to spam the F8 key.

Edited by Mr. Fox

On 29/12/2023 at 16:32, Mr. Fox said:

Vorrei che potessimo avere un BIOS per Apex che ci consenta di disabilitare Intel ME e l'opzione per attivare/disattivare il menu di priorità di avvio al POST (entrambe funzionalità sui mobo EVGA Dark che adoro assolutamente e utilizzo il 100% delle volte). Qualcuno qui sa come modificare il firmware per aggiungere quelle preziose funzionalità mancanti che ASUS opportunamente omette?

Eseguo sempre l'avvio multiplo di tutti i miei computer e interrompere il processo POST e attendere di selezionare un'unità da cui eseguire l'avvio è molto meglio che dover spammare il tasto F8.

There are guide for enable hidden bios option for all board.

Why don't use refind for multiboot? 

On 1/5/2024 at 8:54 AM, pipes said:

There are guide for enable hidden bios option for all board.

Why don't use refind for multiboot? 

I prefer the option to choose the bootloader from the firmware menu and have each OS use its own bootloader. Refind works very well, but I just like choosing it from firmware before anything else is loaded.

I you would be kind enough to point me in the right direction how to enable hidden menus in the ASUS BIOS that would be appreciated.

On 6/1/2024 at 22:44, Mr. Fox said:

Preferisco l'opzione di scegliere il bootloader dal menu del firmware e fare in modo che ciascun sistema operativo utilizzi il proprio bootloader. Refind funziona molto bene, ma mi piace sceglierlo dal firmware prima che venga caricata qualsiasi altra cosa.

Saresti così gentile da indicarmi la giusta direzione su come abilitare i menu nascosti nel BIOS ASUS, il che sarebbe apprezzato.

There is this guide https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/tool-uefi-editor/91500

Or this: https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/guide-fix-scewin-for-protected-z690-z790-to-easily-modify-hidden-bios-settings/94069

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...