45 members have voted

1. 1. What Card?

• Geforce 8000
    • Geforce 9000
    • Geforce 200
    • HD 3000
    • HD 4000
    • HD 5000

Okay this year Cheapaz has been slightly later than normal but there's also been a lot of related comps, you can think of the GTX 260 comp as round 1 :)
Anyways it is finally time to pick a card for Cheapaz 2023! It has been suggested to pick a card with 128bit bus this time to avoid hunting rare cards that DON'T have ddr3 and I think thisis a good idea. Proposed generations are Geforce 8000, 9000, 200 series or AMD HD 3000, 4000, 5000 series). Vote on what generation you'd like to see and we will select an appropriate card after some precursory vetting to make sure this is a comp about mods and not ebay hunt skills :) 

• Like 3

rv 740 does look pretty good to me, lots of ambient benching potential outside of the comp as well 

also cpu really shouldn't impact fps much in vantage (gpu) or cloud gate (gpu), even 03 seems to generally not care too much since 5.1 haswell has first place in front of 5.7 kaby

31 minutes ago, nicegab said:

I searched quickly ..HD 4750/4770 are not very easy to find at a good price.
very few cards for sale compared to HD4870.
if you want more people to participate you have to take cards that are easy to find.

+1, HD47xx series are very uncommon, for instance there is like 8 cards total available in France.

Also, I think something like Cape verde for stage 1 and GM107 or GK107 for stage 2 would be fun as well.

4870 is decent, same with 5870, i'd suggest 6850 or 6950/6970 for 6000 series

for context though there is 2 4870s on ebay.ca, 1 5870, quite a few  6850, but not many 6950 at decent prices

I agree with cloudgate gpu and vantage gpu as benches, not a big fan but wouldn't hate heaven 

Edited by exaberries

HD 4870; no cooling restriction, no platform restriction - cpu freq limited to 5.03ghz ?

Vantage Perf GPU Score

Cloud Gate GPU Score

Aquamark3

Go go go

Heaven is gross, way too long. Only reason I suggest Aqua3 is it's quick to loop re runs.

Just now, AKM said:

HD 4870; no cooling restriction, no platform restriction - cpu freq limited to 5.03ghz ?

Vantage Perf GPU Score

Cloud Gate GPU Score

Aquamark3

Go go go

Heaven is gross, way too long. Only reason I suggest Aqua3 is it's quick to loop re runs.

yeah heaven is kinda long, and heavy on the driver tweaks....

• 3 weeks later...