HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT OC Challenge May 2011 thread.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call it an epic fail competition but not particularly successful. Anytime the top 10s don't even fill up and even some of the top 5s, probably can't be considered a success. Six stages for hardware not readily available seems a little much, if it had been smaller I may have even took the effort to find a couple of dual CPU boards. Looking forward to June to at any rate.

Oh the pessimism, cocky smacktalk and complaining. Can't we just have a bit of fun here? That's what this is all about.

If you don't have the hardware to participate, that's unfortunate. However, it's probably something you don't want or need, so that's okay. You aren't required to participate. I'm just glad I've finally got something I can contribute in one of these competitions, because it's usually ME that can't participate because I don't own the latest and greatest.

Oh the pessimism, cocky smacktalk and complaining. Can't we just have a bit of fun here? That's what this is all about.

If you don't have the hardware to participate, that's unfortunate. However, it's probably something you don't want or need, so that's okay. You aren't required to participate. I'm just glad I've finally got something I can contribute in one of these competitions, because it's usually ME that can't participate because I don't own the latest and greatest.

That's why I suggested it to Massman. You don't need tons of cash to bench dual-socket. Most of the boards cost less than 50 bucks and the skill and or know how required to actually overclock them levels the playing field a bit. Hell most people here have never heard of a K8N-DRE but it's IMO the best damn 940 board around if you know how to make it go. I happen to know and have shown exactly 1 person how in 2 years.

That is kinda the point though, at 50 bucks for 6 stages, if you want to participate in all of them you would need $300 and that is not including a second CPU if you don't own a double in that socket (or finding a 1366 dual socket for $50). All I was pointing out that it would have been nicer to see a couple of different sockets and different benches to make 6 stages. You wouldn't have excluded so many people being competitive that way. Its kind of like have a competition using dual GPUs for 6 different series. Sure people have one or maybe two dual GPU setups kicking around but only those really hardcore into dual GPU setups will have 6 different ones.

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm the only one on my team that benches this kind of stuff. I tried to see if anyone had another duallie for this competition, but nobody has any. Seems everyone on my team that's active is concentrating on 2600K's and nvidia 5xx series gpu's. Funny because they bleed points like it's going out of style and I tend to be able to hang onto my points for the most part.

That's why I suggested it to Massman. You don't need tons of cash to bench dual-socket. Most of the boards cost less than 50 bucks and the skill and or know how required to actually overclock them levels the playing field a bit. Hell most people here have never heard of a K8N-DRE but it's IMO the best damn 940 board around if you know how to make it go. I happen to know and have shown exactly 1 person how in 2 years.

That and it was convenient that you own every platform to compete in the comp. Nothing like writing your own ticket.:P

If OC Forums doesn't win this comp, I'm gonna laugh my balls off.

That and it was convenient that you own every platform to compete in the comp. Nothing like writing your own ticket.:P

He doesn't own a 1366 platform. I'm the one who has one for our team. However, I don't have the pots to go cold on both CPUs, so I'm having to make do with water cooling. I've got better runs than I've submitted, but not better than XFastest's entry.

Except I don't own a 1207 or 1366 board Scotty and I bought the 640, P3 and M boards expressly for the comp. You don't even make sense anymore Scotty. Go crawl back under your troll bridge.

Edited by OptyTrooper

It was mostly directed at your one blowhard member that likes to shoot his mouth off maybe a little too much.

If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black....but since we are going there your a mediocre overclocker @ best and a constant whiner when you don't get your way.

You've had bones with me since I started pwning you in socket A and now I'm not on your team you get to let it all out.

I will always be better than you Scotty so just face the facts and move on.