HWBOT Community Forums

Getting honor back into the game

M.Beier

so you are saying Gigabyte is dictating to Perica and others to bench CPUz lol

you need to get your head check!!!

I did not mention Dusan, now did I?

But the quantity of CPU-z compared to real tests has been very abnormal. I am not accusing Gigabyte of anything - but I hope that the many good overclockers out there have not given up on their own priorities.

Edited by M.Beier

maybe you missed the fact that the board has ONLY been publicly released for a few weeks at most and that it wasn't distributed to everyone like previous boards were. Results are coming in pretty steadily IMO, its just a lot of ppl are focusing on P67, and others just need to take time to learn new tricks with the board. Such as using the sweet spot for the switching frequency for the PWm that allows more current and higher efficiency. Another factor being that this board is built for 6 core procs or unlocked CPUs, because it doesn't have a binned IOH like the UD9. I have seen the board do 250blck on my own board as well as a friends this past weekend withs lowmode, but i have seen the opposite be true.

Sorry to have disappointed in the live-stream brier, i was stuck with my crappy 930 as i had killed the 990x or else you would have seen some benches :).

FYI that montreal event was a LAN party, not an OC event or demo, it was more to show off LN2 not CPU-Z i did run 3dmarkvantage and wprime, but untweaked and unready as i had killed the good CPU. It was a LAN party not an OC event as ppl made it out to be. FYI i have been OCing for 10 years. There were maybe a handful of OCers that actually showed up and they just wanted to see the board in action. I took my own 930 to 5.250ghz with the OC board, nevertheless, I wasn't provided the board to OC and show off, I was provided the board to review it. GB didn't ask me to do anything other than show up and pour some LN2 down a pot, it wasn't my idea to livestream it either.

But lets move back a few weeks to another event at the Intel LANFest in the USA, where the OC board was demoed and hit 5.2ghz, in the same type of display as mine, once again not for livestream. the Montreal event is the same thing, OC board for the eyes for the overclocking gamer, not the ultra extreme OCer. overclockers are the #1 target market yes, but overclockers are made up of a bunch of different subsections, like gamers, moderate ocers, extreme ocers, so on and so forth.

Edited by sin0822

maybe you missed the fact that the board has ONLY been publicly released for a few weeks at most and that it wasn't distributed to everyone like previous boards were. Results are coming in pretty steadily IMO, its just a lot of ppl are focusing on P67, and others just need to take time to learn new tricks with the board. Such as using the sweet spot for the switching frequency for the PWm that allows more current and higher efficiency. Another factor being that this board is built for 6 core procs or unlocked CPUs, because it doesn't have a binned IOH like the UD9. I have seen the board do 250blck on my own board as well as a friends this past weekend withs lowmode, but i have seen the opposite be true.

Sorry to have disappointed in the live-stream brier, i was stuck with my crappy 930 as i had killed the 990x or else you would have seen some benches :).

FYI that montreal event was a LAN party, not an OC event or demo, it was more to show off LN2 not CPU-Z i did run 3dmarkvantage and wprime, but untweaked and unready as i had killed the good CPU. It was a LAN party not an OC event as ppl made it out to be. FYI i have been OCing for 10 years. There were maybe a handful of OCers that actually showed up and they just wanted to see the board in action. I took my own 930 to 5.250ghz with the OC board, nevertheless, I wasn't provided the board to OC and show off, I was provided the board to review it. GB didn't ask me to do anything other than show up and pour some LN2 down a pot, it wasn't my idea to livestream it either.

But lets move back a few weeks to another event at the Intel LANFest in the USA, where the OC board was demoed and hit 5.2ghz, in the same type of display as mine, once again not for livestream. the Montreal event is the same thing, OC board for the eyes for the overclocking gamer, not the ultra extreme OCer. overclockers are the #1 target market yes, but overclockers are made up of a bunch of different subsections, like gamers, moderate ocers, extreme ocers, so on and so forth.

1) Board has been tested since what... January? (TeamAU and Hicookie around Asia & Aussieland)

2) I know Montreal event wasnt an overclocking event, dispite you being Gigabyte staff, they wouldnt have used you if it was in first place. (To my knowledge; Chew, Gomeler, FUGGER, Brian Y, Macci and the many other overclockers with experience in NA has not died within same month)

Mark you so silly :P

Sin isn't Gigabyte staff either. He just loves Gigabyte lots and lots!

I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the board other than the way its been advertised.

There is still honor in the game, you just wont find it advertised on the front page of XS and hwbot too often.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264837

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-hwbot-team/997559-memory-madness-mkii-competition-now-open.html

Threads like that are great examples of that. People overclocking for fun without MFRs sticking their nose in, all prizes bought and paid for, no MFR imposed limits, no sandbagging ( fingers crossed ), just people pushing as hard as they can and helping others.

I find the 32m results we see in those threads 10 times more impressive than some es990x you would never get your mits on.

thank you, yes i am NOT GIGABYTE staff by any means, its just everyone had a tshirt at the event and so GB invited me so i got one of theirs. I have no idea why they invited me over anyone, maybe i won their contest as their biggest fan! j/k :)

Also the board has been through development for many months, that doesn't mean the final is the same as the original.

Edited by sin0822

thank you, yes i am NOT GIGABYTE staff by any means, its just everyone had a tshirt at the event and so GB invited me so i got one of theirs. I have no idea why they invited me over anyone, maybe i won their contest as their biggest fan! j/k :)

Also the board has been through development for many months, that doesn't mean the final is the same as the original.

Actually T-shirts as merchandise is quite common... It has been ongoing since Gigabytes first event... And actually even before that..

Well I am glad to hear that you are not staff (yet) because, then you are not criminal.

Edited by M.Beier

Actually T-shirts as merchandise is quite common... It has been ongoing since Gigabytes first event... And actually even before that..

Well I am glad to hear that you are not staff (yet) because, then you are not criminal.

If you're writing independent reviews not affiliated to any site you hold no weight whatsoever. Say something the pr guys don't like, you could be dropped in a second. Wanna keep getting gear? Say nice things.

At least he lays every morsel of info out there on a silver platter with extensive testing to boot. Even if it does have a "I LOVE GIGABUT" tint to it.

Edited by El Gappo

If you're writing independent reviews not affiliated to any site you hold no weight whatsoever. Say something the pr guys don't like, you could be dropped in a second. Wanna keep getting gear? Say nice things.

Heh that never stopped me.......if a product sux I say so, don't like it oh well, make a better product.

I don't care what company it is, there's 2 ways for them to respond to a bad review.

1. Screw this guy no more soup for him. ( immature way )

2. They take it as constructive criticism and improve future products ( smart way )

All you accomplish by bending over and prepping your ass with vaseline for a company is not help to improve/innovate products.

However this is off topic now.

Sin as far as bclk at 250 how was effec at 250? Didn't test that did you ;)

Lucky thing is I did and it sucked so 250 bclk is useless other than a cpu-z which IIRC even 254 is possible on bloomfield.

Unfortunately cpu-z is just 1 bench of many so me personally since it does not represent the "majority" I don't waste mine or readers time on it.

Does it really matter? No.......gulftown is not an issue bclk wise nor does it have the issues bloomfield has so hitting 250 bclk with gulfy is irrelvant despite you boasting that it does it.

The reality is however no one benches 3d on bloomfield anymore so normal QPI is also irrellavant.

The other reality is most chips will hit frequncy limit before bclk limits.......

Edited by chew*

Heh that never stopped me.......if a product sux I say so, don't like it oh well, make a better product.

I don't care what company it is, there's 2 ways for them to respond to a bad review.

1. Screw this guy no more soup for him. ( immature way )

2. They take it as constructive criticism and improve future products ( smart way )

All you accomplish by bending over and prepping your ass with vaseline for a company is not help to improve/innovate products.

Completely agree, I just figure that's the reasoning for it, still stinks. Comes down to a matter of balls vs lipstick+kneepads in the end.

Becoming hard to find a review that doesn't have ZOMG L337 Award at the bottom recently.

i really don't keep back from saying bad things, and GB doesn't tell me what to write and they have never said anything negative if I found a problem I listed it in the review. They understand that not every board is perfect or even close, and they know that I will say it if there is. The bottom line is that most of their products and others that I review aren't plagued with hardware problem. Its hard to find negative things about a board.

The 250blck was teh max clock i posted, i didn't bench at anything i posted nor did I say i could.

If we got LSDMEASAP in here he would tell you he could run some bench at 245blck with his 990x.

At the OC event the other board hit 250blck with a xeon processor for its max CPU Clock. Max CPU clock IMO might not be important for everyone here, but for a huge part of our community its a major source of achievement. Step back and think to the early days of your OCing, when you first hit 5ghz you were happy right? got your rush?

I am not disagreeing with anything other than the OC board was made for the gulftown/westereme arch, it does BLCK as excepted with nothing amazing(the X58 bug when slodemode limit is reached plauges all boards, and from what I am told some boards take advantage of it the OC board doesn't so its BLCK its not going to be doing 250blck without slow mode). The IOH isn't binned, but 250blck is more than most benchers need to cap a record considering its almost all about the GPU/CPU/RAM and the board make small difference as long as it can take heavy loads.

If there is a BLCk difference and its in the board, and then cpu changes this from gulfy to bloom then i think that is a much deeper conclusion than its the board. BLCK is part of the board and part of the CPU, really majority of the CPU. IMO a board that can do 230blck with a gulfy and 220 with a bloom, is just limited by the bloomfield and can do 230. but hey that is just my logical conclusion. Chew woudl disagree and say that a better bloomfield wouldn't be able to blck past the other bloom.

Hey sin.

In amongst a discussion that may or may not be about *honor* in benching, we also have to mention *perceived* *honor*

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=270835

In your most recent Gigabyte mobo review, you stopped part-way through to talk about how awesome your new Gigabyte mouse and keyboard are.

There is my new cool keyboard!

Really cool mouse!

How do you think stuff like that *looks* to the rest of the community?

Edit... some things are best left unsaid (wasn't about you sin, it's ok :))

Edited by K404