HWBOT Community Forums

User should be moved to Pro :)

K404

ok - than the Use of ES is allowed when the product is officially released - I understand.

But what about the fact that this ES has a feature, that normal 61XX (AMD Opteron / Magny Cours) do not have. The AMD Opteron 6180SE has the highest available multiplier of the officialy released CPUs of this lineup:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Opteron%206180%20SE%20-%20OS6180YETCEGO.html

The Multiplier of the 6180SE is 12.5x. There is no officialy available AMD Opteron 61XX with a multiplier of 18x.

I don't think that it is fair to use this CPU in an official competition because as I said before it is very easy to overclock an Opteron just by the multiplier because they have a lot of "headroom" @stock voltages. It is really difficult to change all the different settings (Bus - speed, HT-Link, DRAM - Speed, DRAM - Timings, etc.) to get a higher result with a fixed multiplier...

Edited by OVIZ Hardware Lab

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok - than the Use of ES is allowed when the product is officially released - I understand.

No, The use of ES is allowed for points in the XOL and EOL when it's no more ''the current gen'', for exemple:

I7 3960X ES: not allowed for points

I7 990X ES. allowed for points

I don't think that it is fair to use this CPU in an official competition because as I said before it is very easy to overclock an Opteron just by the multiplier because they have a lot of "headroom" @stock voltages. It is really difficult to change all the different settings (Bus - speed, HT-Link, DRAM - Speed, DRAM - Timings, etc.) to get a higher result with a fixed multiplier...

Will check with the Staff if we add an ''Opteron 61xx Unlocked'' to the database. But I don't think so

When the result was submitted the 61xx was the "current" line and the "new" line (62xx) was just presented (14th of November 2011) but isn't available yet ;-)...

A 61-1 CPU can just be anything. An Intel 990X ES is an Intel 990X and it is now officialy available. An unlocked "AMD Opteron 61-1" isn't available and will not be available officialy.

In this case it is more like a prototype. And "61-1" can't be categorized or put to a certain product (e.g. 6176, etc.)

The use of these CPUs allow the submission of more results than allowed and make the work for you more difficult.

What if there will be an Intel CPU that is locked even as an ES. And one person has an unlocked version of this CPU. Normaly it would be no problem for him to take an advantage of this.

With the new revision this user gets a lot of points for himself (59.8) and for his team (55.0) with his submission I think you and the staff have to check this very good...

Edited by OVIZ Hardware Lab

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...