HWBOT Community Forums

XP installation on MVE

|ron

Hi there guys, it's 2 days now that I'm trying to install XP on the MVE (me and TheKing, we're planning some fun with two X1950XTX we found for a few bucks on ebay, so XP is necessary), but it always gives the 0x0000007B error after having loaded everything from the CD and before starting the real installation, asking where to install etc...

Tried with the stock 0207 bios, tried with the 0020, nothing.

Tried in UEFI and in Legacy mode, nothing.

Tried on AHCI and IDE, tried an old WD Raptor 36GB and an OCZ vertex2 SSD, nothing.

I tried with F6 at the beginning of installation procedure, but then it's a complete mess without a floppy drive, even forcing the usb key as an FDD.

I tried to burn another CD with XP SP2, to avoid loosing my mind with a bad CD.

Probably it's just a stupid small thing I'm forgetting, but I'm really hating this stuff :banana:

Hi there guys, it's 2 days now that I'm trying to install XP on the MVE (me and TheKing, we're planning some fun with two X1950XTX we found for a few bucks on ebay, so XP is necessary), but it always gives the 0x0000007B error after having loaded everything from the CD and before starting the real installation, asking where to install etc...

Tried with the stock 0207 bios, tried with the 0020, nothing.

Tried in UEFI and in Legacy mode, nothing.

Tried on AHCI and IDE, tried an old WD Raptor 36GB and an OCZ vertex2 SSD, nothing.

I tried with F6 at the beginning of installation procedure, but then it's a complete mess without a floppy drive, even forcing the usb key as an FDD.

I tried to burn another CD with XP SP2, to avoid loosing my mind with a bad CD.

Probably it's just a stupid small thing I'm forgetting, but I'm really hating this stuff :banana:

You need to have xp 32bit SP3 on installation cd to be able to install that OS on MVE , otherwise it wont install at all , i did the same mistake like you , it was until i did a SP3 Installation CD that the BSOD error was fixed and only then i was able to install xp 32bit. Good Luck.

Regards: Angelo

check the LN2 mode jummper -move to OFF( left side) and slow mod switch move to oFF

or install OS with LN2 mode enbled ..but push more vcore in cpu..for example 1.150v

when the LN2 mode is enabled ..the cpu is undervolting (0,994 v) and some cpu´s wont boot ../not anymore stable

i hope the info help you :)

Edited by nachtfalke

Load optimized defaults, set sata mode to ide and try again. I had this problem on newer M5G bioses and now on M5F.

Still under investigation what exactly causes this error, but I'm able to install stripped SP2 this way.

I have the ssd plugged in one of the red sata ports. You may also tweak the settings under Monitor tab and disable "Monitor Standby", they don't have effect on the error.

Btw, I had this problem installing Windows 7 as well. The forementioned method worked.

Thanks Dumo and Nacht, just tried your hints, but no way to get it past the 7b error :|

You tried the legacy thing too?

When UEFI came out first I remember talk about trouble with XP / UEFI...

Tried every SATA port?

If you are having major troubles, maybe you can get a very cheap/bootable PCI-E raid card to try?

Try to plug cd/dvd drive to one of the gray sata ports and hdd/sdd to one of the red sata ports. That helped me with BSODing while installing win xp sp3. That was on M5G but it should be similar on M5E.

Mhh, I'm installing it from an usb dvd drive... I always used that drive to install xp or every other os, no probs... I tried black or red ports, with no luck.

I also tried to force usb key as an FDD, to give xp the Z77 storage drivers after pressing F6, but there is some problem because XP isn't really happy about "something that isn't really a floppy drive".

Have you tried with different cpu?

Uhm.. no, should I? how can this be related to a storage problem? (7b error is related to "cannot find a device where the os can be installed")

Load optimized defaults, set sata mode to ide and try again. I had this problem on newer M5G bioses and now on M5F.

Still under investigation what exactly causes this error, but I'm able to install stripped SP2 this way.

I have the ssd plugged in one of the red sata ports. You may also tweak the settings under Monitor tab and disable "Monitor Standby", they don't have effect on the error.

Btw, I had this problem installing Windows 7 as well. The forementioned method worked.

Ok, I'll try optimized defaults :)

You tried the legacy thing too?

When UEFI came out first I remember talk about trouble with XP / UEFI...

Tried every SATA port?

If you are having major troubles, maybe you can get a very cheap/bootable PCI-E raid card to try?

Yes, tried all in legacy, all in auto, and all in "both", no way :|

lol I just solved it... I knew it would be something really weird...

I had the usb dvd drive plugged into the usb3.0 ports... so xp was starting installation, then the second part was like "omfg, where am I?".

So I just had to plug the dvd drive to the usb2.0 ports, and it's going past that bsod point. :)

Tomorrow, we'll see if I'll be able to complete the installation, but I'm quite sure about that.

I'll keep you up to date guys

Yes, 'cause the other ports are on the "asmedia something" controller and not on the Z77.

Anyway, the pita is trying to install it from an usb drive... in the second part of the installation it asks anyway where that file is for about 30/40times.

You just have to write, everytime, d:\i386

The following file, it asks where it is, so you have to enter again d:\i386 and so on...

Dunno why it asks the same thing everytime, without searching in the path you gave it the previous time, but in the end everything works fine, just a few minutes of work with this "issue". :)