HWBOT Community Forums

Old school OCZ Platinum OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K suggested settings

trodas

For my old computer to get some interesting overclock and also (mainly) more memory I got a 2G of these DDR (1) OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 sticks labeled as OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K.

OCZ4002048_ELDCPE_K.jpg

(image only illustrational from eBay, not mine, no idea why one of these sticks have v1 and other v2 anyway)

So these should have the nice Samsung TCCD chips, so I was trying to power the machine on with 229MHz (250 FSB/183 divider that gives 229MHz on the rams) 2.5-3-3-7 settings and it - failed :eek:

WTF!

So I reset the bios and started going step-by-step. 200MHz divider (so, 1:1 to FSB) and I see the default settings are TCL - 2, TRCD - 3, TRP - 2, TRAS - 5, TRRD - 2, TRC - 11, TRFC - 24, TRWT - 3, Read Preamble 5.5ns and Async latency 7nS. Since I did not plan on getting FSB over 280, then these two last settings I leaved untouched.

However I do relax the timings to TCL - 2.5, TRCD - 3, TRP - 3, TRAS - 7, TRRD - 3, TRC - 11, TRFC - 24, TRWT - 3 and tried at witch clock the memory fail to post/run Memtest with voltage at auto to the rams.

220 was fine, 225 too, 230 no post. Backed down to 227MHz and that seems to work.

Then I relaxed the timings even more to TCL - 2.5, TRCD - 4, TRP - 3, TRAS - 7, TRRD - 3, TRC - 14, TRFC - 24, TRWT - 4 and tried the 230MHz clock and again it failed... :(

Previous lame Kingston 2x 512MB sticks can do 229MHz at these settings... :(

So I set the divider 183 and started raising the FSB while I know, that the CPU can do about 2850MHz with 1.425Vcore (and x11 multi), so up to about 255-260MHz I'm fine.

This went this way - I went back to these settings: TCL - 2.5, TRCD - 3, TRP - 3, TRAS - 7, TRRD - 3, TRC - 11, TRFC - 24, TRWT - 3 ... and started pushing - 235MHz FSB gives 198MHz, that was fine. 240 gives 203MHz on the rams and also it seems to be fine in DOS/Memtest. 245 gives 207MHz and it also looks fine... but 250 (as I run before) failed to post. So I set 248 with gives 209MHz on the rams and that worked well, but on WinXP boot it give BSOD. Damn. So backed down to 246 and that boot WinXP, but then it fail on BSOD :(

WTF... I changed the voltage from auto (IIRC 2.5V it should be) to 2.70V and... reboot instead of BSOD. So voltage are no-no, therefore I tried voltage back at auto + 245MHz FSB and that somewhat works, but very unstable.

So I had to back down the divider to 166, so I get 250 - 196.4MHz for the rams. Then 255MHz FSB gives out 200.4MHz on the rams, so I set back their tightest default settings, as at 200MHz, there is really no need to relax timings at all.

That gives 2805MHz for the Opty 148 using Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe (Radeon Xpress 3200)...

But I'm somewhat disapointed. I used to run OCZ P4001G rams (also 2x 1G) at 231MHz with 2.5-3-3-7 settings at 2.64V ...

So, what I doing wrong? At 1:1 divider these rams managed to 227MHz, witch is under the 231 wanted, but at least they can be overclocked somewhat. Now when I push the divider, then even very slight overclock (209MHz) is impossible. WTF! Old OCZ P4001G rams run their tightest 2-3-2-7 settings up to 216MHz.

Do I need to play a bit with the skew or relaxing the drive in order to get higher? I refuse to believe that I cannot get these rams clock faster. So I asking for suggestions. That was just my first quick attempt to get the machine working by quick & dirty way :)

PS. this is the original seller image of these sticks - no revision on them:

OCZ4002048_ELDCPE_K.jpg

OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

Edited by trodas

You people are not very optimistic to say at least!

I got OCZP4001G sticks 2x 1G, that can run 2-3-2-7 (TRAS 7 is optimal for AMD64 memory controler, they say) up to 216MHz and then at 2.5-3-3-7 they works well at 231MHz...! So I expecting no less from these Platinum suxxkas! :)

Dunno, tough, what chips they have, but SPD is really 2-3-2-5 for 200MHz at 2.5V, witch sounds pretty promising to me. And they run at that clock right now and 100% stable and well. But overclock is the problem... So, maybe someone know what chips they have and what is the best settings for them? 3-3-2-8 sounds slow to reach 230MHz, I hoped for CAS 2.5 :D

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/crucial/tracer4000/

"TRAS always at 7, this gives highest memory bandwith when used with the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) of the Athlon64."

Mr.Scott - oh, finally someone optimistic! That much voltage...? Oh, well... if they need 2.85V, they can get 2.85V :D I want them at 229MHz as the mobo run before with the Kingmax 2x 512MB ones... Why TRAS 5...? Are there some bench that show better speed? (oh, well, I could probably run 3DMark 01 before and after, this suxxka is very sensitive to CPU/memory speed - almost more that to a GFX card speed, lol) ...

Edited by trodas

Oh... that IS something. 266MHz at 2.5-3-2-5 is kick-ass performance! Whoa. Mine best SuperPi 1M result for P4 is 41sec: http://hwbot.org/submission/2433308_trodas_superpi___1m_pentium_4_3.4_ghz_prescott_41sec_297ms ... 32sec is out of question, lol. And 266MHz for rams, Oooooh! Never get even close to that - ever - in my life :(

So, the TRAS 5 is probably good for P4, while I have to try on AMD64 what will be faster really... but the rest of the setting looks almost like my attempts, yet failed attempts. Therefore you say - just the voltage to crank it up? No special settings or something?

You know, the Drive Strenght, Memory Drive Strenght and similar. Not need to touch for the Infineon BE chips?

Hmmm, so I tried another simple test - 2.85V to the dimms and then a little bit relaxed timings TCL - 2.5, TRCD - 3, TRP - 3, TRAS - 7, TRRD - 3, TRC - 11, TRFC - 24, TRWT - 3 and where I could get.

210 - fine, 215 - fine, 220 - fine, 225 - tough memtest works, it BSOD when booting to win. Tried push voltage to 2.90V and still BSOD.

So I quess that to reach 225MHz (much less stable 230) I need to relax timings more, 2.5-3-3-7 did not seems to do the job even with very high voltage. What timings to relax, that did not have so big impact on memory speed...?

Also I tested how far one can go with the default 2-3-2 timings and stock 2.50V. Now very far. 205 seems to be stable, but at just 210 it started reporting bios corruption and so on... so somewhere between 205 and 210 is the limit of the current timings with no bumped up voltage. That is not much headroom, as my OCZP4001G sticks 2x1G do 216MHz at 2-3-2 timings (2.60V tough, might be worth to try with 2.60V these ones too) ...

Tought the overclocking is ATM pretty mediocre, when 225MHz cannot even work, no matter the voltage (2.90V is the max I want to try) ... unless there are need to change some advanced settings to get higher, then around 220MHz is the top stop for them at 2.5-3-3-7, witch is very light O/C.

Any ideas welcome to get past 225MHz ;)

PS. to make get stable 225MHz and maybe go past them I tried relaxing the timings once again:

TCL - 2.5, TRCD - 3, TRP - 3, TRAS - 7, TRRD - 3, TRC - 16, TRFC - 24, TRWT - 5 and I get (2.85V) to Windows XP fine this time. Sadly, there is an error in memory stress test Prime 95 settings just under one minute...

So back to auto voltage (2.50V) and raised FSB to 260, witch give 204MHz for the rams and with tight timings, things are stable. So I getting out of ideas...

Edited by trodas

That pretty much confirm what I managed to discover - 225MHz require extreme voltages and very relaxed secondary timings to get 2.5-3-3 to work... much less to get it to work stable. Hence they are really not worth the trouble, so they go to the P4 box, where is basicaly no overclocking happening and these old OCZP4001G sticks seee more action.

Looks like that the only way to get something out of the OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K is to get the Rev 2 of them and nothing else.

What type of ram do you recommend to search on eBay for, ZFeSS?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So, guys, any tips for DDR (1) 2x1G sticks that run 250+MHz with CL2 and reasonable voltages? Not too high... pls!

ZFeSS -

If you wanna 1GB sticks, you should search for Hynix D43 - DT-D43 or BT-D43, not CTP-D43. They do 250+ with 2.5-3-3-x timings, they are cheap and easy to find everywhere.

No idea what I can search on eBay for. Are there some good ram makers witch use the Hynix D43 - DT-D43 or BT-D43? If they can do 250+ MHz, then I don't mind the 2.5-3-3-x timings. Just looking for something that is really fast... pls?

d3mox -

TCCDs are running CL2 without any problems - but yes, BH5/CH5 are better.

Well, maybe for extreme OC - yes. For daily usage it is TCCDs with much lower voltage IMHO better choice. Just what 2x1G sticks surely have the TCCD chips and can run at very high clocks? Suggestions welcome, pretty please!

Looked there: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?50010-New-RAM-List!!!-%28now-with-1GB-stick-listing-too%29

...but no 1G sticks with TCCD chips. Many use Samsung UCCC chips, Infineon BE-5 or CE-6 ... dunno witch is a good chip.

HYMD512646B8R-D43 PQ with the Hynix BT-D43 chips looks like CL3 rated rams:

HYMD512646_B8_R_D43_PQ.jpg

...so what timings to expect at 250 - 266MHz from them? Could they even go that far?

Edited by trodas

• Crew

Qimonda/Infineon CE5 do 260-270Mhz CL3-3-2. But cant test properly, as my Lanparty NF4 doesnt like them. I have one stick Qimonda DE5 which alomost do 290Mhz. Need to take another mobo to test them fully.

Let me know if you need something have 35 1gb modules from different vendors but mostly qimonda

OMG... that is a *IMPRESSIVE* collection, mate! Well, I would like to have 2x1G ram sticks (dualchannel), that can do around the same clocks, so I could go for 24/7 operation (the machine will be used, not only overclocked) at around 250MHz 1T, if possible.

Could you help me thee and at what cost?

Target mobo is ASRock 775i65G R3 with a Core 2 Extreme X6800 CPU, so you see that to make the CPU run well, I need every bit of performance that I can get in the DDR (1) field. 3-3-2 settings you say is possible even over 250MHz (260-270, one rare almost 290)? At what voltage? I asking, because the mobo have these ram slots too close together:

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=133159

...so good cooling is simply not possible there :(

The manual claims that for FSB 1066 one need CAS 2.5 rams, but I think that they just caution people to get fast enought rams, that can handle the clocks... So far, current FSB record is 352MHz:

http://ww.w.hwbot.org/submission/2430766_ludek_reference_clock_775i65g_352.44_mhz

...and max. ram speed is 249MHz:

http://ww.w.hwbot.org/submission/2327744_chris_666_memory_clock_ddr_sdram_249_mhz

1:1 FSB to memory, 3-4-4-8 timings, only ONE 512MB stick... these Qimonda with Infineon CE5 do better? :)

Edited by trodas

Noproblemo, thanks a lot! That seems to be a good choice, very similar to i865 system. I liked mine OCZ rams, but they topped at around 231+MHz with 2.5-3-3-7 timings (Opteron 148) and not even relaxing timings or upping voltages seems to get them any higher.

Two sticks of OCZP4001G, run at 2.5-3-3-7, 231MHz, 2.65V - not very fast, but at least 1T and not overheating too much (A9RX480 Sapphire "Grouper" mobo have also the simmbanks too close to each other...).

HYMD512646B8R-D43 PQ with the Hynix BT-D43 chips looks like CL3 rated rams:

HYMD512646_B8_R_D43_PQ.jpg

...so what timings to expect at 250 - 266MHz from them? Could they even go that far?

D43 on DFI NF4 can probably do 270 CL2.5-3-3-7 1T @2.9 volt

Strunkenbold - Thanks a lot. I answered yesterday, but HWbot main page was not working (yet forum was working well) and the reply (and also PM, I presume) get lost. So, here we go again...

3-3-2-8 timings with 2.7V at 265MHz are IMHO pretty good result for such ancient DDR1 rams. I'm interesed, and you got PM :)

I'm a bit surprised, how far you get with Socket 478 old P4 Northwood. First at all, 1.6V give you 3717MHz, witch is impressive. Second - the high FSB and 1:1 FSM to DRams give you speed. The 32min time for SuperPi 32M test is awesome. I managed 47min at 3400MHz:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2434608_trodas_superpi___32m_pentium_4_3.4_ghz_prescott_47min_22sec_390ms

...witch is far cry from your result. And even if I get the fastest 3.8GHz P4, I will probably not get much improvement, because on the MSI board is almost impossible to overclock the FSB much. With Celeron, the limit was about +10MHz, +12MHz up it fail to boot and +14MHz up it fail to post...

On the contrary, the ASRock i865G chipset seems to working just fine with 150x21 at the very same Celeron S775:

http://valid.canardpc.com/bvbm3p

ASRock_celeron_FSB_150.jpg

(now tested 152MHz and it is working too...)

Oh well, let the journey begin :P

ASRock_775i65g_1.jpg

As for the 1T - I checked and I cannot find ANYONE who managed with VIA P4M800 chipset 1T timing. Even very respectable overclockers have 2T and even with using only ONE 512MB stick. So the 1T is probably a dream on VIA P4M800.

On the i865G chipset I did not even have in bios the Command Rate settings, it is greyed in CPU-Z and same apply to you. So I quess that these chipset did not allow us anything like that? If no one else managed 1T on i865, then it is just not possible. I could having an outdated bios (and not unlocked too, there is not much settings at all :( ) (bios P1.00 from 07/04/2012), but if this 1T dream is not working for anyone else, then I would just forget it.

TASOS -

D43 on DFI NF4 can probably do 270 CL2.5-3-3-7 1T @2.9 volt

That sounds good, but the ASRock is not a DFI NF4 board and also cannot manage 2.9V. It have only auto, low and high voltage settings, while auto gives 2.75V and that it is, lol. Not much choices there...

Never the less, 2.5-3-3-7 with 1T Command Rate could be kick-ass at 270MHz, if you can manage it stable :D

Sadly I targetting entierly different chipset and cannot use "too much" voltage at all. Hence something like the Samsum TCCD or Infineon CE5 chips is IMHO highly desirable for such limited mainboards like the ASRock 775i65g.

• Crew

Some things:

My northy is a good one. Though its not a crazy chip. With watercooling I can reach 3,9Ghz but thats it.

The result itself was done with tweaked windows, waza and PAT enabled. IC7 is also a good mobo, so all in all and because P4 improve a lot with high memory bandwith its a good result although only 2T.

I dont know how fast those VIA boards are in general but they should do 280-300Mhz fsb. Similar VIA Chips do 266Mhz by default. But there seems to be no pci lock on those systems and thats why sata controller seems to fail early (arround 210fsb). Once Sata controller is disabled and your are using ide, fsb should go pretty high. I wasnt able to set 2T successfully in Bios although my TCCDs should handle it. So its either bad bios or chipset related.

But on i865/i875 1T, CPC, should be possible. It may be that those 1gb sticks dont want to work with 1T.

Well, 3.9GHz is impressive result still. What tweaks in Windows XP you have in mind?

And is not PAT on by default on P4? (visible even in Windows info screen (left Win key + Pause key)

And waza is, as I looked it up ( http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1630795 ) basicaly just a cache. So the SuperPi writes are cached into ram, witch make them faster. The guy get 5sec on 32M runs. Sure, each 5sec is good, but we are talking about 32min vs 47min:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2847595_strunkenbold_superpi___32m_pentium_4_2.8_ghz_c_northw._%28200_fsb_ht%29_32min_5sec_734ms/

http://hwbot.org/submission/2434608_trodas_superpi___32m_pentium_4_3.4_ghz_prescott_47min_22sec_390ms

I saw 5sec gains on SuperPi 1M test by just replacing caps with more quality ones. And I saw 1h 40-something minutes Super Pi 32M run yesterday on the 3.2GHz Celeron of mine... so 32min is something quite from other world :)

And yes, I noticed that even 6MHz FSB increase give amazingly good results, as the P4 in my mobo (MSI PM8M3-V) is very much limited by memory speed. I wonder, what happen using the i865G chipset. I have identical Socket 775 P4 (3.4GHz), so I might compare the chipsets :)

Oh, disbling SATA is the key on the VIA P4M800... oh, well. Same limits seems to apply in the regards of 1T / 2T as for me. Maybe it only support 1T on like 128 or 256MB sticks? Or maybe not at all? No-one seems to be able to run 1T on VIA P4M800, so I would put that into the rest.

There is only one question that bug me - you reached 254MHz FSB with the MSI PM8M3-V:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2835564_strunkenbold_reference_clock_pm8m3_v_254.51_mhz

The question is HOW, because the bios does not support and overclocking at all. I had to mod it and unlock the overclocking... and even with that it tops at 250MHz. You simply cannot set more... so how do you did push the poor mobo all the way to 254MHz? :) Just wondering :D

And on the i865G I did not even have the Command Rate setting in bios. So, unless there is some good overclocking bios out there, then I have no idea how to even try setting the 1T :) You have the setting and does it work with other ram sticks, likely of small capacity?

• Crew

Waza is more effective the less your CPU has cache. Its not only 5sec on old machines but more something like 30-60sec.

PAT is in Memset Performance Mode. It was actually a feature for i875. It helps, though not that much.

And for the MSI board, I used setfsb if I remember correctly. Damn its not too long ago. I really cant say if I used setfsb or some different prog.