HWBOT Community Forums

question regarding water chillers

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I think that is well put. Chillers should remain as water cooling because even though you're making the water colder than say a radiator in a normal loop would, and others clearly pointed out, what's to stop you from dunking a radiator in a bucket of ice? That doesn't then become extreme cooling, it's still classed as water cooling.

I've taken water from outside when it was just above freezing and used my hosepipe to cool my CPU to get some really impressive clocks for what was a stupid idea. It was still cooled by water, nothing else.

I think that is well put. Chillers should remain as water cooling because even though you're making the water colder than say a radiator in a normal loop would, and others clearly pointed out, what's to stop you from dunking a radiator in a bucket of ice? That doesn't then become extreme cooling, it's still classed as water cooling.

I've taken water from outside when it was just above freezing and used my hosepipe to cool my CPU to get some really impressive clocks for what was a stupid idea. It was still cooled by water, nothing else.

Yes. Reinforces my point. :celebration:

This topic has been discussed AT LENGTH before on the forum (I'm sure even I've told you Lewis!).

Using a water chiller with WATER: OK for Enthusiast League

Using a water chiller with a blend: Not OK, move on up.

It's also the only way regular enthusiast users can compete with sub-zero climates of mountain benchers.

I have a Hailea chiller, just need to get the rest of the loop. These chillers are built to have 3C to 20C selectable - the only way to go lower is by modding the thing.

This topic has been discussed AT LENGTH before on the forum (I'm sure even I've told you Lewis!).

I've had that sensation too... yet it is a recurring question... - that's why it would be nice to have an official statement from the HWBOT staff...

There you go: enthusiast league with 1100+mhz HD4850 on water

Well, if he did not go below 0C... but those cases are definitely for the mods to ask for further proof - like the video you were mentioning...

Have you tried your modded HD4850 with the rad dropped in a bucket of icy water? That would be still above 0C...

The compressor concept, would that include commercial walk-in freezers, would that also apply to an air compressor for use with a Vortex spot cooler?

Water ice can be as cold as the device making it can produce or chilled with dry ice; pure water can stay in a fluid state well below freezing (drew my attention when I saw it on PBS) but would be next to impossible to do in normal loop but doable if the motivation existed.

Do we need another league for the in between cooling solutions. How about TEC has limited use with modern hardware but drop back a few generations and it becomes very practical. Personally have no problem with fluid/air chillers that produce temps in line with the normally occupied latitudes but how many would start changing coolants maybe a cascade chiller or a dice acetone slush box (the trust question) and at what point do we lose the concept of the EL, maybe a question for the league itself.

You might be confusing the science here.

Here is the phase diagram of pure water:

700px-Phase_diagram_of_water.svg.png

In order to get below 0C with pure, regular liquid water, you would need atmospheric pressure around 100 MPa (or 1000 atmospheres).

Supercooling is a process that allows liquid water to be below zero, but any presence of turbulence (i.e. a pump or a heat source) or nucleation site (water cooling tubes) will cause the liquid water to form water ice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling

Using a commercial walk-in fridge to increase the localised air pressure will have minimal effect. The act of opening the door creates the slush - movement creating nucleation sites.

Of course when you start using blends (water/ethanol, antifreeze), then the freezing point can be lower than 0C due to the prevalence of hydrogen bonding in the mixture. Add in a multi-alcohol chained compound into water and away you go. But as we have mentioned, introducing a blend means you should be moving on up. Is there a way to check if someone has used a blend? No, but therein lies a small amount of trust within the community (just like everyone trusts you won't murder someone in the street).

Edited by borandi

The example that I saw on TV was in relation to an aircraft that had gone missing and possible causes, one of which was flying into thunderheads with possible ice forming from liquid water on the air speed indicators causing a failure of the auto compensators. The example showed a small metal rod as the contaminant being inserted in a glass beaker causing spontaneous freezing of the water, I don’t remember seeing any protective gear other than a gloves for the rod and beaker but I wasn’t paying that much attention. No argument with presented fact but assuming the plane was around 11500 meters one would think there would be less than one atmosphere but really don’t know the conditions present in a thunderhead, just trying to put the two together.

Nova #3807H

Crash of Flight 447

Copied this out of the transcrpt

JOHN WILLIAMS: One of the things that we're interested in is what were the conditions at 35,000 feet? What kind of ice or liquid was there at that altitude?

NARRATOR: John Williams turns again to the new NASA satellite images.

JOHN WILLIAMS: One of the first things we want to do is try to figure out what the temperatures were at that level.

NARRATOR: He creates a cross-section, showing the temperature at different altitudes.

JOHN WILLIAMS: What it shows, starting at the surface and going up to the top of the atmosphere—they were flying at this level here, and you can see that the temperatures were about 40-below at the time and location of the accident.

NARRATOR: Minus 40 may seem extremely cold, but, in fact, it's much warmer than is usual at 35,000 feet.

These unusual temperature readings suggest than an unusual phenomenon may have occurred.

JOHN WILLIAMS: What we've found out from this analysis is that it's possible that there was supercooled liquid water at the altitude of the aircraft.

NARRATOR: Supercooled water is a weird quirk of physics where extremely pure water remains liquid at temperatures well below freezing.

In 32 years experience, Tony Cable has never actually seen this phenomenon up close.

The purified water in these bottles is well below its normal freezing point, but it's still liquid. Ice crystals can only grow around tiny particles like impurities or bubbles. When Cable inserts a metal tube...

TONY CABLE: Hey!

NARRATOR: ...instant ice.

TONY CABLE: That is incredible.

JOHN WILLIAMS: The fact that air is really clean over the oceans suggests that if there is supercooled liquid water in the atmosphere, and an aircraft flies through that, those little droplets are ready to freeze as soon as they hit a surface.

Edited by Aleslammer
Corrected 747, changed to 447

• 1 month later...

NhÆ° chúng ta biết, quận Cầu Giấy là má»™t trong những quận có số lượng dân cÆ° đông đúc cùng nhiá»u cÆ¡ quan, doanh nghiệp, trÆ°á»ng há»c... Vì thế, tình hình an ninh trật tá»± của khu vá»±c rất phức tạp, các tệ nạn xã há»™i nhÆ°: trá»™m cắp, cÆ°á»›p giật, gian lận... cÅ©ng xuất hiện ngày càng nhiá»u. Äể hạn chế và ngăn chặn tình trạng này xuất hiện, trÆ°á»›c hết các cÆ¡ quan, doanh nghiệp, cÆ¡ sở kinh doanh... cần phải thá»±c hiện các biện pháp để quản lý tài sản của mình bằng cách lap dat camera cau giay nhằm phòng tránh gian lận hoặc trá»™m cắp xảy ra.

Giải pháp bảo vệ tài sản[b/]

Äể đáp ứng nhu cầu sá»­ dụng của ngÆ°á»i dân, Hoàng Phát camera chúng tôi đã triển khai lắp đặt dịch vụ lắp đặt camera đống Ä‘a vá»›i mức giá “siêu rẻ†bao gồm các khu vá»±c nhÆ°: Mai Dịch, NghÄ©a Äô, Dịch Vá»ng Hậu, Dịch Vá»ng, NghÄ©a Tân, Yên Hòa... nhằm hạn chế rủi ro vá» mặt an ninh và kinh tế cho các cá nhân, tổ chức kinh doanh trên địa bàn quận. Nhá» vào lap dat camera long bien mà các doanh nghiệp, cÆ¡ quan, cá»­a hàng quản lý công việc tốt hÆ¡n. Má»t hoạt Ä‘á»™ng làm việc luôn được camera ghi lại rõ ràng, cụ thể giúp việc quản lý nhân viên hiệu quả hÆ¡n qua lap dat camera ha noi. Còn các cá nhân lắp camera sẽ Ä‘á» phòng được kẻ gian Ä‘á»™t nhập trá»™m cắp tài sản hay theo dõi nhà riêng của mình.

Hiện nay, trên thị trÆ°á»ng xuất hiện nhiêu doanh nghiệp hoạt Ä‘á»™ng trong lÄ©nh vá»±c lap dat camera quan sat , tuy nhiên không phải cÆ¡ sở nào cÅ©ng uy tín, camera hoạt Ä‘á»™ng tốt nhất. Äể giúp khách hàng an tâm và lá»±a chá»n sản phẩm tốt nhất cho mình, Hoàng Phát camera chúng tôi sẽ mang đến cho quý khách hàng lap dat camera binh tan

những sản phẩm chính hãng tốt nhất vá»›i giá bán vô cùng tuyệt vá»i. Những dòng sản phẩm camera quan sát có tại Hoàng Phát Ä‘á»u là sản phẩm chính hãng của nhiá»u thÆ°Æ¡ng hiệu camera nổi tiếng trên thế giá»›i nhÆ°: Samsung, Osamic, Avtech, Dahua...

Ngoài ra, khi khách hàng sá»­ dụng dịch vụ lap dat camera ho chi minh còn được hưởng chế Ä‘á»™ bảo hành, bảo dưỡng chu đáo giúp khắc phục các hÆ° há»ng của máy móc trong thá»i gian sá»­ dụng. Äặc biệt, chúng tôi cam kết bán hàng chính hãng 100%, chính sách đổi trà hàng trong 7 ngày, hoàn trả lại tiá»n và bồi thÆ°á»ng cho khách hàng lap dat camera bien hoa nếu thá»±c hiện không đúng nhÆ° cam kết.

Edited by davidpotter