HWBOT Community Forums

GIGABYTE Z97X-SOC FORCE or ASRock Z97 OC Formula?

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Hey all!

I was just wondering which would be your preferred choice and I would really appreciate it if you could give me a reason why for your choice.

I'll be teaming it with PSC memory and of course it'll be going cold on both the CPU and RAM.

I've been keeping and eye on Bullant's thread about the OCF and PSC combinations and it is rather tempting to go for the OCF over the X-SOC, especially when you add the conformal coating into the equation.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. :)

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I've never really frozen RAM other than one amateur attempt which did go quite well but I want to grow my knowledge and try to use it more extensively.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

It looks to be that way, Massman.

Has anyone got any ideas which would have better 3D efficiency? I want to bench 3D when Broadwell comes about.

vote for asrock just look at superpi 5ghz challenge.

and i dont like the idea of having 3x different soc boards with the ln2 being latest and maybe just a few of them on the market(just speculating) and already said reaching higher mem-frequenzy then norm soc boards.just my opi

It really depends what you're going to be focusing on. If you're planning to get a SuperPI rig and always run PSC cold, ASRock will give you a nicer time. If you're planning on using the board with Samsungs, both are fine. If you're also planning to try DDR3-4000+ validation runs, asrock might be better than the regular SOC board.

If you're going for a daily benching rig and will also do other benchmarks than SuperPI and Memory Clock, the Gigabyte will do just fine. The boards are very strong at 3D.

It really depends what you're going to be focusing on. If you're planning to get a SuperPI rig and always run PSC cold, ASRock will give you a nicer time. If you're planning on using the board with Samsungs, both are fine. If you're also planning to try DDR3-4000+ validation runs, asrock might be better than the regular SOC board.

If you're going for a daily benching rig and will also do other benchmarks than SuperPI and Memory Clock, the Gigabyte will do just fine. The boards are very strong at 3D.

Excellent advice :)

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Yeah, I know. :D

Even though I said I was probably going to go with the Giga, I doubt it. I killed two boards on air with a 24/7 overclock. The first time I saved the BIOS and exited. It completed POST and then turned off, and it then never came back on without doing endless power cycles no matter what I tried. The board was less than two days old. The second died mid bench at 4.5GHz on my 4770K using 1.25v. This one lasted three weeks. Never came back on again. I then got an ASUS Hero and it lasted a year before I sold it on to a good friend of mine.

Thanks for the advice guys. You've got to love the OC community for things like this. :)

If all goes tits up with the OCF, I'll just get a SOC and try that instead but I've got faith in the OCF. I've not used ASRock before so it'll be something new for me too.

Edited by TheMadDutchDude