HWBOT Community Forums

Defend the interests of the enthusiast overclockers

Guest Ximi

Defend the interests of the enthusiast overclockers league and minor league.

It seems right that we users in these lower leagues, our computer equipment are limited by the refrigeration and what I disagree is in the overall points that are given by a punctuation of a graph such as the GTX 780.

If we are in the minor leagues should be a separate overall punctuation for our league and not share it with global users including professionals.

Not if I make myself clear but I understand this quite clear, we want a global punctuation but exclusive points within the enthusiast league and other lower leagues.

If we are given a comprehensive punctuation of a GTX 780 that is within our enthusiastic and just for us league.

And not include these points in the pros leagues that they take advantage to go with LN2 (including subzero systems).

So you basically want a league without any extreme OC results but rewarding the full amount of points like 100 globals?

I don't really like this idea. Currently the amount of points pretty much shows the effort you have to put into your results. And I don't think that running a system on air or water is as difficult as running a setup for hours at -130°C. Also the effective ranking of the enthusiasts ranking won't change. You guys will just have more point in the list but the order will be the same.

Agreed to Roman.

On top of what is already said, having such a ranking will not motivate enthusiasts to move into subzero cooling (which is one of the aims of the site). In fact, some subzero people might then want to downshift into enthusiast league as fighting for 100+ global scores on watercooling is easier than on LN2.

100 Globals for Pro and each legue , Novice , Extreme , Enthusiast ....

There are some leagues but 1 ranking of points globals , not right for minor leagues .... compite for 100 global in Pro competitive etc .... more dificult ...

Defense for minor leagues and our 100 global but not for enthusiast is for all leagues , each league with 100 globals points.

• Administrators

Global points are for overall top scores, you can´t give these to results which are limited to lower scores because of cooling- VW Golf can´t win F1 as well^^

@Sam_OCX don´t you think that lots of LN2 guys would fail hard getting globals at enthusiast? You can´t compensate lack of speed by excessive soldering, voltage and freq gained by cooling.. smilie_devil_047.gif

I'm against this idea. If you can't beat subzero guys it's not their problem - it's your pain in ass. Those who gain better results get more points in personal and in team rankings. It's the base. That's why guys with LN2 get more points, that's why guys who good in tweaking get more points, that's why guys who get high clocks (make mods, etc) get more points. It's a competition after all.

Enthusiast league exist for the reasons you mentioned. I think it's enough.

On the fence, leaning towards support.

der8aur “Also the effective ranking of the enthusiasts ranking won't change. You guys will just have more point in the list but the order will be the same.”

3D more or less agree, big change for those that like 2D in my opinion.

Sam OCX “On top of what is already said, having such a ranking will not motivate enthusiasts to move into subzero cooling (which is one of the aims of the site).”

Personally not really interested in going cold as a steady diet, though would like to pick up a few of the cold achievements but it bumps me up a league. No points no league change? Might even like it after being able to play a little.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I'm with the others who are against this idea. We put time, effort and money into more extreme methods to gain more points, to compete against others who do the same and who want more, and more, and more from their hardware. Sure, you can't compete against us "big boys," but if you really get the bug, you'll go down the LN2 route one day. Once you do, you can't go back.

• 4 months later...

I also don't see the point of this.

Ones who bench only for competitions will let Extreme-cooling aside, as watercooling is cheaper and easier to manage (full load on fans, no CB/CBB and go on).

Also, the main goal of overclocking is bringing technology at his limits. An Ambient World Record would not have many senses, as it don't break a new wall.

Without LN2, how would we catch the "super-ultra-novator TIM" of Devil's Canyon as crap ?

I'm Enthusiast too, not thinking of LN2 for the moment, but i take pleasure to compete versus Extremes in rankings.

Actually, with my FX, i try to reach top scores of Ambient-cooling, and even if it give me only 2~3 HW+GL Points, there is challenge.

(Hey, what about a new cooling-filter in rankings Ambient/Extreme ?)

Also competitions are more and more interested in "low-cost clocking", take example with ROG OC Formula, or the use of the G3240 in the G.Skill World Cup.