HWBOT Community Forums

XFX 9800 GTX Black Edition

nickolp1974

How about the mem mod for a 9800GTX asus dark knight card, anyone? Lots of ics, not sure which is mem. Core is easy.

I would be interested in both of these mods also as I have two of these on their way to me currently.

I have 9800GTX+ DK and can check when back home.

Have it full-modded, if I remember correctly.

For GPU I think it was VID mod + FB mod for fine tune. For MEM it should be just FB mod. And maybe OCP...but it was long time ago, so I don't remember :)

http://hwbot.org/submission/2634311_i.nfrar.ed_3dmark2001_se_geforce_9800_gtx%28%29_55893_marks

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Ok, I have VID mod, FB mod and 2 for mem - VDDQ and VDDC, but I have no time right now to understand what I've really done to that card.

Seems I haven't done OCP. OVP is eliminated with VID mod.

http://imgur.com/a/HYL4s/all

I can add some guidelines/explanation later, if you want.

Overall the mod(s) are similar for all Asus cards (DK/TOP) based on this controller/PCB.

PS: BTW, you need to also cut 2 traces on the PCB.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Managed to mod the cards voltage in nibitor, only upto 1.35v so far and heres the BUT, at stock volts of 1.15v on air the card did 830 on the core, water 870, increasing the voltage has done nothing and has me confused, whats holding it back?? Bench used was 3d06 and max load temp was 33c, what am i missing??

Also tried aquamark where i'd expect it to run higher, anything over 870 and instant driver crash.

Edited by nickolp1974

Ok, guys. Sorry for the delay, but I'm too busy with work lately :(.

I could not get good pictures and don't feel like removing my mods.

But let's go.

The only reliable way to mod 9800GTX+ DarkKnight (and other Asus cards with similar design) is to use VID mod.

PWM controller used is ADP3290: datasheet

1. FB mod.

It won't give you much, but it is good to have it to fine-tune the voltage, since VID mod allows 0.1V steps. You can skip this ofcourse, but it is the easiest one.

FB is pin #4. Connect 20KOhm variable resistor to ground and set to maximum resistance.

See next section for image.

2. VID mod

You need 3-key dip-switch or something similar. You can use jumpers if you don't have switch.

Basically anything that can "output" 1-0 logic.

You need to connect pins 33, 34 and 35 (VID6, VID5, VID4) to ground through the switches.

yYb5pB3.jpg

Additionally you need to cut the traces marked with red on the picture. Be careful not to cut too deep, because I don't know what else is underneath.

My advice is to start carefully and check for continuity, then cut again and measure until it is disconnected. It is good to first scratch the paint over the traces, so you have better visibility.

Do it only on good light (day-light).

Or desolder and lift up the legs of the transistors (thanks nachtfalke for the addition).

Here's how it looks on my card:

AQZZNjY.jpg

After the mod and all switches turned off you will have about 1.1V on the GPU, which is enough to POST. If not, turn on the VID4 switch. It will give you about 1.2V.

Table with voltages

QQuxBCe.png

3. Memory VDDC and VDDQ

This is simple FB mod. Both use the same uP6101: datasheet

FB pin is #6. Connect 20KOhm variable resistors to GND and set to maximum resistance.

My card gives me 2.2V on both.

Q7sMk5z.jpg

4. Measure points

f0uAyqh.jpg

Link to imgur album with all images: http://imgur.com/a/8t5mX

Hope that helps, but as always - you do everything on your own responsibility.

Nothing too advanced, but still requires good soldering skills.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

• 8 months later...
Ok, guys. Sorry for the delay, but I'm too busy with work lately :(.

I could not get good pictures and don't feel like removing my mods.

But let's go.

The only reliable way to mod 9800GTX+ DarkKnight (and other Asus cards with similar design) is to use VID mod.

Hope that helps, but as always - you do everything on your own responsibility.

Nothing too advanced, but still requires good soldering skills.

Hey thanks a lot for these mods. Did my first vid mod, it was fun, for some reason my card is like .8 at idle behind the vid table. But with vid set to max I get 1.62v which is enough, I dont hit ocp/ovp. I also did both mem mods.

But didnt realize these cards have horrible cold shutdown. As soon as I get to -48c, right before -50c, the card shutsdown with almost no voltage on core and mem.

Did anyone do a cold shutdown mod or try a bios? Got it to 1075 core at just -40c, so with an fb mod for a touch more voltage and remove cold bug it could be really nice.

Got first place in aqua and 01 but that was mostly because of cpu.

The hynix mem is pretty great, almost 1400.

Yes, I didn't actually benched mine on cold due to lack of time, but they have coldslow.

Don't know if a coldslow bios exists for DarkKnight.

I wanted to see if I can mod one myself, based on e.g. 9800 CS bios, but didn't get to it.

Still have my card modded though and will eventually bench it in the future.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Yes, I didn't actually benched mine on cold due to lack of time, but they have coldslow.

Don't know if a coldslow bios exists for DarkKnight.

I wanted to see if I can mod one myself, based on e.g. 9800 CS bios, but didn't get to it.

Still have my card modded though and will eventually bench it in the future.

Ya I feel like it's a little different from cold slow, unless I am mixing it up. But it's not running bad or un-efficient when cold, it literally shuts off at exactly -48c, it's like cold shutdown.

I think if I epower it then it will be removed by bypassing stock ic.

• 2 weeks later...

so ya I spent so much time epowering the card, it works amazing but still shutdown at -48c. So dissapointed. I thought the shutdown had something to do with the vr_enable pin, so I cut that pin and bypassed stock ic with epower, but it didnt work. And I couldnt get the reference 9800 gtx+ bios to flash.

I wish I knew enough to know what mod to do. The card does just about 1100 core at only -40c.

9800gtx+ CS bios didn´t work:D tested on two reference card!! still shut down at -45 /-48.

that are nothing to do with witch card implementation are , i tested over time more than 14 -16 G92 cards (B1 /55nm) doesnt matter if card is reference or custom still had this issue , epowered or not issue will be the same , think that are to do with thermaly protection from chip itself , because all card tested shut down at the same degree value ( +/- 3 degree).

G92/ 65nm love cold better than 55nm , but had a strange cold slow , if you get the card that you can mange the CS can be benched at 1150mhz+ on the core!

you should search 9800GTX (without+) A2 rev chip!! 65nm

Edited by nachtfalke