HWBOT Community Forums

DIY IHS Removal Tool for 3D printing

SoF

This one is for oldschool-benchers - Socket 939 edition.

preview-new2-s939-ready.png

The first one to be compatible with a PGA chip probably ;)

Modul holds the HS (I found one of my old Venice 3200+ and measured it), counter-part should press against the PCB (and pcb only!).

Make sure it fits tight, if it goes over the side of the PCB you will surely bend the pins and destroy the CPU *shruggles*

You sure that'll work? When the IHS slides it'll take out a row of resistors on the PCB. Doesn't matter which direction.

Edited by Mr.Scott

I thought 939 would be much easier - the HS itself is so plain :P

Maybe use a blocker for the HS or invert the inlay part - again many options ;)

preview-new2-s939-bump.png

Think it is best to add side-guards as well in the top area so you really have only 2mm to move the spreader which hopefully is just enough too make it pop off or at least get loose.

Edited by SoF

using only razor (+ sometimes hair dryer) to delid cpus since S939 times, still not a single one killed... and skylake delid is by far the easiest job compared previous generations. why the f do i need to print or buy any other tool? really, dont get the point of this hype :D

What does it matter if you do not understand it? I'm sure there are many products out there that you do not understand the purpose of. As others have said, if there is a market or he wants to sell a product, that is his choice. If it fails, it fails. There is no harm and all this negativity for someone that is just trying to create a product to help his community is absolutely pointless and useless.

If you find people purchasing a Lamborghini unnecessary, do you need to let every customer that has, know your opinion? And how helpful or effective do you think them knowing your opinion will dissuade them from future purchases?

using only razor (+ sometimes hair dryer) to delid cpus since S939 times, still not a single one killed... and skylake delid is by far the easiest job compared previous generations. why the f do i need to print or buy any other tool? really, dont get the point of this hype :D

So far I delided pretty big amount of cpus, only killed (cut trace - single channel) one Pentium K. With all more expensive chips I had more luck, though on one 6700K i scratched PCB. but nothing happened (a bit of luck). Razor all the time, but in fact I am waiting for this tool. This is investment for future and I am sure Roman will provide support for future generations too. For single use it might be too expensive/overkill, agree. In my case it's investment for long run, and in fact I was expecting (and willing) even to pay more. Especially when you finally find the golden one, and your success rate with razor is let's say 1 dead cpu per 100, pretty okay odds, but counting irony... you will kill your golden one xD I count this tool as investment in other OC gear, like pots, thermometers and so on, things which will you use for ages ;)

guys i can totally understand why ppl buying this tool like XA said. im not such a fool. i have absolutely no problem with that. but after Roman released the first photos about it, everyone started to produce, 3dprint, share and hype this tool like it is some new holy grail for overclocking. peace :)

Yeah let's go over creating stuff like backplates and cooler-mountings.

I was way more annoyed from these than heatspreaders over the years xD

Never had a perfect fitting mounting plate for my compressor coolers back in the days due to boards changing mounting holes every month...always drilling :D

same with the top-mounts of some pots - older ones can be upgraded with some new holdings and work fine.

If you miss some specific older pot / singlestage mounting maybe just report here and we check if we can build one...

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my first prints today with the usual PLA-issues...part curling xD

Infill is 90% which is always critical but still better than using fixed honeycomb with low stability like here.

Make sure your 3D printing shop offers full infill for the critical parts taking the heavy forces during ihs removal process with low part curling

(usually rules out any PLA "stock"-printer below 1-2k...closed ABS systems undergoing testing next week btw).

1.jpg

2s.jpg

Edited by SoF