HWBOT Community Forums

DIY IHS Removal Tool for 3D printing

SoF

Hey guys,

to all hardcore-oc'ers these days - buy the true HQ der8auer delid mate here for just 90€

I already said the new idea of removing heatspreaders from Roman is pretty clever and cool

but if you are broke down or save money or just got a new 3D printer :P,

or just wanna delid cheaper CPUs, or simply have the possibility for printing 3D...give it a try for a few bucks.

No more bunnyextractionstorm...some of you guys seriously need to calm down :o

This is only proof of concept, just to show it is possible to make a HS remover with a printer.

Everything can be build within Autocad 123D Design which is a free software - it takes a bit to get used to it, but it does pretty good for a free modeling software.

The STL file for the bottom is pretty much ready - as well as the top. Took around 4 hours getting into the software and 8 hours building.

If you have experience and probably have a software you are already used to might be possible in 2-3 hours or less.

Due to the fact there is not much to build around the original CPU dimensions it looks pretty close to the tool from der8auer and I do not want to share files due to people mixing it up with product copying :(

Printing time on MakerBot 5th Gen / Rep2 / SSYS Mojo is between 2-3 hours per part depending on filling and details.

Keep in mind: MakerBot (usually) is printing PLA which might skew after some time

SSYS Mojo / uPrint ABS is stable but has a layer resolution > 0.2mm < 0.28mm - you have to optimized the file - once done it's very reproducable.

preview-v3.png

preview-v6-hwbot.png

preview-v9.png

Downloads (not available for the moment, let everything calm down)

22/11/2015 - first beta-version which now needs to be optimized I think

Pretty sure it won't come out perfect on the first try but the basis should be there to make it working.

Also I think it will be more effective when you use some kind of metal shield instead or in front of the "bolder block" - must be tested.

23/11/2015 - some small adjustments

- objects splitted into 2 files

- not floating above the ground anymore

- optimized for non-support printing (need to drill away the 1 mm layer in between the 6 mounting holes after print but no big deal)

Measurements taken from: http://www.intel.ie/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/2nd-gen-core-lga1155-socket-guide.pdf (mostly page 128)

23/11/2015 16:00 - it's on der8auer to let the files be free or not - he owns the basic design and can decide...

25/11/2015 - yay...a different version which follows the vice-method but with modular PCB-holder :)

preview-new2-s939-ready.png

more nfo

Edited by SoF
  • Sad 1

Why would you use this design of a block moving and delidding the CPU, how would that work with plastic 3D printing? The screw would just go into the block unless you add some type of metal stopper. Why not make the block solid and push the bodies together like the other 3D printed design?

Why would you use this design of a block moving and delidding the CPU, how would that work with plastic 3D printing? The screw would just go into the block unless you add some type of metal stopper. Why not make the block solid and push the bodies together like the other 3D printed design?

see dev-note from 22/11 - it will be more effective when you use some kind of metal shield instead or in front of the "bolder block"

This is an easy detail to solve...mixing materials is always helpful and mandatory during DIY.

Never rely on the printed parts only - think about how you can merge things together!

And as I said for the beta...this is a fresh sketch - we are not at the "works instant and everybody can understand" level yet.

JUST DON'T USE WOOD-SCREWS!!! xD

Edited by SoF

preview-new2-ready.png

Went over to a vice design which twists the principle of the other 3D file as well as adding the possibility to swap inlays for more versatility when new CPU or older CPU dimensions are in need.

It holds the PCB and the slider will go sidewards to the HS - if the printed plastic is too soft it can be reinforced with a small metal plate.

Theoretically it should be possible to make it working for older AMD CPUs with pins as well....hmmm should I give it a try?

Just added one (fun) plate from LGA 2011 according to the Intel spec pdf. But borders are too thin I think...these cpus are huge and soldered :P ^^

Should be fine to share - but be carefull you probably want to hold down the cpu and the socket holder with a clamp just to make sure it stays in place.

Also I assumed 1.2mm for the PCB height...not sure if this is the optimum value as I heard people saying the Pentium G for example has a bit higher PCB.

STL files and AutoCAD files

Edited by SoF

This one is for oldschool-benchers - AMD Socket 939 edition.

preview-new2-s939-ready.png

The first one to be compatible with a PGA chip probably ;)

Modul holds the HS (I found one of my old Venice 3200+ and measured it), counter-part should press against the PCB (and pcb only!).

Make sure it fits tight, if it goes over the side of the PCB you will surely bend the pins and destroy the CPU *shruggles*

Edited by SoF