HWBOT Community Forums

Powercard Dual Output - GTX580 DC2

nachtfalke

hi all ,

today i made dual output powercard from a dead gtx580 DC2 , but with functional VRM.

on GPU VRM we have 8 power phase and 32 mosfet transistors NXP 7030AL ( N-channel TrenchMOS logic level FET) witch can go up to 50A at 80-100 degree , pwm used are ASP0907( remarked) , output filter has 10x 820uF solid cap rated 3V , 4x470uF POS cap and 20x MLLC

DDR VRM we have 2 phase and use as pwm uPI6205A and 8x NXP 2530AL up to 25A , output filter 4 x820uF solid cap and on back side the yellow tantalium cap!

- cutt the PCB and make sure that are NO short in pcb layer!!

- add +5v ( home made DC-DC converter with L7805 - TO220 package)

- add +3.3v ( i use a AMS1117 DC-DC converter in SOT package)

- add +12V to DDR rail

- gpu vid mod to 1.4v by default( fluke DMM)

- gpu ocp overall

- gpu per phase ocp mod.

- ddr ocp mod

need only add a trim pot to FB pin on both pwm ( gpu /ddr) and is ready:D

20160529_214057lnzrq.jpg

20160530_1852335ub15.jpg

20160530_185213u1lxp.jpg

20160530_1852491bam5.jpg

20160530_1853336obc8.jpg

Edited by nachtfalke

Very neatly done! Thanks for showing. Have you tried solid copper strips instead of wire? Are you using any feedback from vgpu to the controller?

yes , tried solid copper strips on my others power card( epower rev1 and 2 , apower aswell) but isn´t very good for pcb layer , especially when need to be removed they are very rigid and inflexible can pell off the pcb copper layer , also need a powerfull soldering iron , that used much amount of heat thru pcb layer can also pell off in the future and ruined the powercard!

when powercard is mounted permanently on the target vga ...copper strips is best way!

speaking about this homemade powercard , i don´t have very much joint points on the front side +VCC( front side they are 7 , and back side from +VCC on the solid caps 8 joints) , if you look used +VCC from pos capacitors and MLCC´s , joint all together with soldering ball is a very good/powerfull +VCC points .

in total they are 15 joints for +VCC ( excluse joints directly from the chokes) if i solder from all joints wires 2.5mm they are 37.5mm² ( AWG1.5)

i don´t find any issue using wire(1.5mm²(awg15) and 2.5mm²( awg13)) if they are very good soldered at the ends using enought amount of flux + solder, ofcourse manny wires are always better(added depending what gpu you wanted to be powered... in my first case are a G92 don´t need very munch wires )

GND joint are directly for the backplate holes witch are very good , i use always for GND´s 6 (awg9)and 8 mm² (awg8)wires.

you mean +Vsense and -Vsense? add to the load near gpu? to regulate LLC´s?

i made directly VID mode , because the controller is full of protection ( ocp , ovp and uvp) so used 3 polig Dip switch can be output setting to +100mv (VID4), +200mv(VID3) , +400mv(VID2) , using all switches ON add +600mv!

as a tip for others , you should pay attention to the power state indicator input for LOAD , because active phase will be only one when load goes low ~20 -25A , and the rest of phases will be automaticly desactivated , so that pin should be pulled up to activated all phases!

Edited by nachtfalke

you mean +Vsense and -Vsense? add to the load near gpu? to regulate LLC´s?

Yes, not needed when you use VID mode? I've only made one zombie based on TiN's guide for 8800GTX, there he recommended using vsense pins, however I never got it to work with the vmod. This was several years ago. I'd like to to do something like this, the 580 Matrix zombie looks awesome!

Yes, not needed when you use VID mode? I've only made one zombie based on TiN's guide for 8800GTX, there he recommended using vsense pins, however I never got it to work with the vmod. This was several years ago. I'd like to to do something like this, the 580 Matrix zombie looks awesome!

VID mode , it´s only way to pass over voltage protection (OVP) witch on many controllers it´s a really big problem , FB mod offer you controll at mv , both combined are best way.

even controll via I2C can´t go pass over OVP ...so for me best way is VID mod , ofcourse that is not so simple like FB mod .

vsense pins from pwm is to callibrate the LLC´s for GPU , they read voltages directly from gpu , because many card implementation even they had a strong VRM the powerplane from VRM output to gpu it has a voltage droop ( in pcb powerplane)in gpu load , vsense +/- will regulate this droop to be more accurate ! , actually the voltage that you set in software or that you read with DMM from output VRM are not the real voltage that the gpu take! , exemple MSI gtx570 TF from output vrm to back gpu MLCC´s cap are almost 100mv droop! , that means the powerplane on this card are very weak ..even that is one custom card...

i made 4 x 8800gtx zombie VRM all working( ram vrm aswell) on my cards , for example on my gts 250 : nachtfalke`s 3DMark03 score: 71597 marks with a GeForce GTS 250

the 580 matrix zombie is one of best VRM , very good calibrate and very powerfull VRM peak 500A , also a very good option to replace epower or any other custom VRM from any vendors!!! , you can made that itself..

Edited by nachtfalke

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
thanks thanks thanks :) is that all for activating both, vmem and vgpu ?

what do you see in the pic above is only for main vrm (gpu) .

to enable the gddr vrm you need only to add +12V to gddr rail ( see first post -pic with yellow wire) , because gddr VRM was powered directly from mb pci slot , when you cut the card that rail will missing , so you need to add +12v to gddr rail manually :D

enjoy!

• 2 years later...
On 6/8/2016 at 7:05 PM, nachtfalke said:

as a tip for others , you should pay attention to the power state indicator input for LOAD , because active phase will be only one when load goes low ~20 -25A , and the rest of phases will be automaticly desactivated , so that pin should be pulled up to activated all phases!

Sorry for opening such an old thread but im a little confused. You say we have to pull a pin high to keep all phases running but which pin do we have to pull high? and to 3.3 volts im assuming?

8 hours ago, Noxinite said:

I think that was more in reference to using it as a powerboard for a weaker legacy GPU that draws low current.

But I guess the fact that the controller was identified here means you can do a VID mod now, (if you don't also have a PSU issue).

Ahhhh ok, yeah i was looking to power a gts 250 as my first zombie card as if i kill it im at no big loss, dont supose you know how to enable all phases at all times?

On 6/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, (PTP) ShmoeMo said:

Sorry for opening such an old thread but im a little confused. You say we have to pull a pin high to keep all phases running but which pin do we have to pull high? and to 3.3 volts im assuming?

pin 48 = +5VCC ( add +5vcc LDO to generate power supply for pwm)

pin 51 = EN -enable chip ( detect whether MOSFET driver power supply is ready)

pin 52 = VTT - enable input of the controller(this pin monitoring if any 12v voltage are presence in the pci-e slot to activated the chip)

pin 62 = PSI ( power state indicator input for load ) here should be always 3.3v to enable ALL power phase , if 3.3v missing will be activated ONLY one phase.