HWBOT Community Forums

I'm an idiot...

yosarianilives

Well it looks like I owe you all an apology for being an idiot. I was doing some testing on my 7700k for hd graphics 630 to try to get some vindication and was getting really confused why my apex could only do about 1450 mhz on the igpu core when my soc was running "1926" mhz just fine. So I swapped back to the POS z270 soc. Boot at 1500 mhz multiplier just fine and I decide to double check clocks with gpu-z. To my surprise it read 1150! So as it turns out igpu multiplier is completely broken on the z270 soc, add that to the list of things that don't work right next to 1t cr. So I did the math for the bclk I was running with the multiplier I was actually running and it comes out to just about the same mem mhz that I was running on the apex. So it seems that on ss 1500 mhz really is the igpu core limit more or less. So I'd like to apologize for suggesting that you guys might've been doing something wrong, when it was really that I was an idiot the whole time. (as  I suspect many of you already knew)

Also after my testing yesterday I can say that it seems that the subtimings priorities are not necessarily exactly the same as on ddr3 platforms as I didn't see the same kind of scaling I'd expect. So while mem is definitely important I can't say I have a clue what you need to do other than have fast/low latency ram. Now if this was ddr3 based intel graphics I could give a fair few more pointers ;) Hopefully I can learn a bit more about this part of my niche as I work towards becoming the intel igpu king (intel gma will also be interesting, I have about 15 boards and plans for dice lined up)

• Like 1

No need to claim yourself as an idiot, it happens to all of us time to time, don't worry. Always check and double check real frequency during runs. And of course memory matters in IGP but , 50 mhz higher will compensate for a looot of memory tweaking and frequency....

32 minutes ago, Alex@ro said:

No need to claim yourself as an idiot, it happens to all of us time to time, don't worry. Always check and double check real frequency during runs. And of course memory matters in IGP but , 50 mhz higher will compensate for a looot of memory tweaking and frequency....

You're absolutely right about igp core, I did actually start to do the scaling testing last night on the apex before I found out what was going on and I more or less found that. You can see where I got frustrated and stopped when the igp didn't OC as well as I thought... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Vil7cXqPkJ0uqjzhSZ1GMnV-A773P_mieUyEQhsDgQ/edit?usp=sharing

15 minutes ago, Splave said:

You are def not an idiot. And major respect for admitting this and showing work. 

Thanks for the kind words. But I think that at this point I should know better than to trust a giga board to do what it's told. Hopefully when I start doing legacy intel igp and have to switch from rog to giga for many chipsets, I don't find similar issues. At least the lower multiplier explains the "lack" of scaling from igp core I was seeing, as I wasn't increasing igp clocks nearly as fast as I thought.

8 hours ago, GtiJason said:

You are no idiot. Pretty easy to make a mistake like that, especially when you testing/benching so many platforms. One or two is hard enough to keep running smooth. You know your welcome to visit sometime if you want to turn that dice into lin

Give it a few months for the ln2, got to get 1st in apprentice before that ;) But I really have had just awful experience with the two modern giga boards I've used. I wonder what happened to the giga of yore...

• 11 months later...