HWBOT Community Forums

ABIT NF7 v2.0 FSB stuck

TAGG

I recently dug out my old NF7 to bench some Bartons, but i now have the problem, that the FSB is stuck at 100 any changes don't apply in BIOS.

The strange thing is, that all other BIOS settings seem to apply fine multi, RAM divider and timings get saved propperly (even though the board doesn't reboot after the warning screen)

Things i have tried so far:

2 BIOSes on 2 diffrent chips 1x Infrared BIOS and 1x Manta Rays

Raising the FSB in windows --> got up to 117 then crash

multiple BIOS resets, all diffrent RAM channels one old unlocked and a newer locked barton...

Hope someone with socket A experience can help me...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just saw this, so you might have solved it already...

Tried reflash/hot flash of the bios chip or with a different bios chip?

They are not very reliable, so I have some spare bios chips in case something goes wrong. Hot reflash on a working board usually helps to bring it back to a working state.

A programmer is also handy.

Seems like a strap and detection problem, but not sure why. I guess you have tried usual 133/166/200 FSB from bios. You can also try to force the higher FSB via pinmod either on the CPU or on the board (I have one with switches).

Shorted SB is the most common problem of all nForce 2 boards, yes. When it happens the SB heats up pretty bad.

Good luck with the new board. And contrary to popular belief, the boards with black slots are not always better :).

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

Just most of the time. ;)

4 of my best NF7/NF7-S V2. All of them are with blue slots. PCBs are different colors, though :D. FYI all are v0.53.

I have one with black slots somewhere that is comparable FSB-wise, but of all the NF7-S I've tested, blue-slotted were consistently better.

I've had 2 blue-slotted NF7-S which could not hit more than 250MHz FSB no matter what, but also had "bad" black-slotted.

I also have 2 working AN7, 3 DFI Ultra-B, couple of Soltek's.

IMG_20181006_214400.jpg

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

4 of my best NF7/NF7-S V2. All of them are with blue slots. PCBs are different colors, though :D. FYI all are v0.53.

I have one with black slots somewhere that is comparable FSB-wise, but of all the NF7-S I've tested, blue-slotted were consistently better.

I've had 2 blue-slotted NF7-S which could not hit more than 250MHz FSB no matter what, but also had "bad" black-slotted.

I also have 2 working AN7, 3 DFI Ultra-B, couple of Soltek's.

My experience was the other way around. Of 5 NF7's, the 2 black slots were much better than the 3 blue's.

I also have 2 AN7's, 1 Ultra B,  2 Ultra Infinity's, and a bunch of other Asus and odd boards.

BTW, where you been Ivan. W9 miss's you. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

My experience was the other way around. Of 5 NF7's, the 2 black slots were much better than the 3 blue's.

I also have 2 AN7's, 1 Ultra B,  2 Ultra Infinity's, and a bunch of other Asus and odd boards.

BTW, where you been Ivan. W9 miss's you. :)

Lost my mojo. Priorities changed, too.

I'm keeping an eye on the comp though, some interesting results might pop out.

Have a big pile of untested hardware, but very unlikely to get it out right now, maybe during the cold winter when I don't have anything better to do.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

@TAGG Strange this problem. I am unfamiliar with s462. But as he told you, Ivan can be a bios problem or even a socket problem (you can check it by opening it). First I would opt to change bios chips.

@I.nfraR.ed Is it possible to have your bios? I can't get the NF7 above 235mhz. But I think because I haven't spent enough time.

@GRIFF

AN7: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByfNThxT1gbTVFR5R3RrVXNRRFE

NF7-S: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByfNThxT1gbTaTFYTUg1a3p6VFk?usp=sharing

They are nothing special, just based on the latest official bioses available for both boards and made from scratch with some personal tests of different ROMSIP tables.

I've chosen the tables that worked best for me in terms of performance and highest FSB, but this doesn't mean it is the best possible combination.

They won't magically clock the FSB 10MHz higher compared to e.g. Merlin's bios :)

Ah, maybe some of you don't know, but I will share a trick I'm using with socket A and was keeping for myself all these years.

I guess many of you might know it, but... change the CPU to Standard PC to gain stability with high FSB/voltage.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

Ah, maybe some of you don't know, but I will share a trick I'm using with socket A and was keeping for myself all these years.

I guess many of you might know it, but... change the CPU to Standard PC to gain stability with high FSB/voltage.

I don't know about many, but a few do. ;)

• 1 year later...