HWBOT Community Forums

A7N8X-E Deluxe as an alternative for socket 462

TerraRaptor

41 minutes ago, Tzk said:

@Sparks.nl

Afaik cpu-z reports dualchannel as soon as both dimm slots are populated. Even on my A7N8X-X (singlechannel) cpu-z reports dualchannel. Make sure to test this by running 32M or a similar benchmark which scales with bandwidth. I expect that the shown "dual" ist just plain wrong.

I didn’t know, I will test it. 

Edit: I am still Expecting it to be dual channel, why else coding the dimm slots in different colors. 

edit 2: manual 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/K7N2_DeltaL_ILSR#down-manual

It seems to be dual channel. 

87151FD0-A186-4562-8F68-8DD1FF2C03C2.png

Edited by Sparks.nl

Perfect! I assumed that it's singlechannel... Also 245Mhz with TCCD is great. Took a lot of effort to get 250MHz stable on my A7N8X Deluxe... I can't even manage this on all of my TCCD sticks either (4x Corsair 3200XL v1.2 fail to pass 245MHz) and only my Geil Ultra-X Kit manages 250Mhz on NF2...

This is a better then usual kit for this kind of testing. Somehow it is more friendly.

But I will test with the new bios files as well. I had the feeling that it was not on par with the nf7, altough mem voltage was not that high...

Edited by Sparks.nl

1 hour ago, Tzk said:

Can't you use the 512kb bios BPLs for 256kb bios? So just port over BPL 3.19 and done?

The Code from the 512kb BPL seems to be longer than from 256kb BIOS versions. 512kb bpl would fit in the free space, but i doubt it will work. Since i am not able to test it, i don't want to risk it.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, digitalbath said:

The Code from the 512kb BPL seems to be longer than from 256kb BIOS versions. 512kb bpl would fit in the free space, but i doubt it will work. Since i am not able to test it, i don't want to risk it.

I have an external BIOS programmer. I can fix any corrupt BIOS on a different pc.

There is no possible hardware damage is there?

It simply won't boot. :)

I've just compared the 3.04 BPL of A7N8X Deluxe and A7N8X-X and they're almost identical. So that may (or may not) work. Here's the 3.04 BPL from A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 (stock bios) and A7N8X-X (Trats 1010-xmod2). I'm curios what those minor different values actually do... :D I guess i'll get my -X board and try it myself...

A7N8X-X-BPL304-CPC-on BPL304-cpc-on.bpl

Edited by Tzk
  • Thanks 1

The Deluxe BPL is from a 512kb bios and the -X BPL is from a 256kb singlechannel bios. No clue if those work on your MSI, i just uploaded these for documentation. As long as we haven't tested porting from 512kb to 256kb i'd assume that these won't work.

I just booted my A7N8X-X with the 1010mod2 bios. I'll now check memory bandwidth and then try to flash a 512kb BPL.

EDIT:

1. Using a 256kb Dualchannel BPL (3.09 taken from A7N8X v1.0) on the A7N8X-X Singlechannel 256kb Bios won't boot

2. Using a 512kb Dualchannel BPL (3.04 taken from A7N8X v2.0) on A7N8X-X Singlechannel 256kb Bios won't boot either

3. -X won't boot with regular A7N8X v1.0 bios.

4. A7N8X-X will boot with 512kb bios chip and A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 bios

When trying 4) i was speechless... when the board POSTed... ?

Edited by Tzk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks.nl said:

Nice, will it become dc as well with that bios? As a bios fix needed only?

No clue, i need to investigate if the -X actually runs in DC by benching it. At least it reports "dual channel" on the POST screen, but that migh just be due to the new bios.

Ha, grats for using the ISLR bios on a 512K chip to boot the regular delta. Nice! Seems like the different versions aren't that different if you can swap the bioses around... :D Good to know that it works with delta-l/ISLR and a7n8x(-x).

Edited by Tzk

I just ran pi 1m CB 2003 and wprime 32m. These gave no issues. 
8rdavore still works as well so it seems all fine. 

Edit: I forgot to tell that I know for some time now that all mod bios files from nf7-s v2.0 can be used on nf7 v2.0 non sata version. I noticed that on Ebay nf7 version are not sold that quickly... 

Edit 2: Just quicktested the EBED (256k) modded bios for the -L and it works fine. 

Edit 3: 260FSB using tccd, no hw mods were done:

FD4672C5-FBC6-4324-9273-3A6152580A93.jpeg

Above seems a good reason to take this board more seriously. I used 1.7v for NB and 2.8v for tccd. 

@digitalbath: can you look if there is a hidden nb or agp voltage?

Edited by Sparks.nl
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Sparks.nl said:

Edit 2: Just quicktested the EBED (256k) modded bios for the -L and it works fine.

Edit 3: 260FSB using tccd, no hw mods were done:

Perfect. I guess you also got those extra options modded in? I found that some of these are extremely helpful when it comes to high fsb with 2x512mb sticks.

Regarding the 260Mhz TCCDs: Is that (at least) 32M stable? I took tons of effort for me to get 250Mhz through 32M with my Geil Ultra-X.

2 hours ago, Tzk said:

Perfect. I guess you also got those extra options modded in? I found that some of these are extremely helpful when it comes to high fsb with 2x512mb sticks.

Regarding the 260Mhz TCCDs: Is that (at least) 32M stable? I took tons of effort for me to get 250Mhz through 32M with my Geil Ultra-X.

I ran it on auto. I only set mem timings. 
I am just quicktesting for now. 

Mem @3.2v since vtt does not scale (yet)

6687CDFC-FEAD-49FB-A4E1-4D945D16C850.jpeg

C7614804-BA67-4060-B570-D001572F0403.jpeg

B0DB8AA7-3383-49D7-AAEE-B6E30071157E.jpeg

Edited by Sparks.nl

@Sparks.nl the mod BIOS files for the MSI Delta-ILSR, based on official 7.8 BIOS:

• the FSB Frequency is limited in the BIOS by 233MHz. I can not fix that.

• 512kb BIOS!

• BPL 3.19

• I moved some options in the BIOS structure.

• unlocked some settings

• Be careful! This BIOS versions are completely untested. I will not be responsible for any damages! I would recommend to own a programmed backup bios chip before flashing this mod BIOSes.

------------------------

@I.nfraR.ed

Your program works with AMI based boards!

image.jpeg.38904668b6949969395b2d778d639d93.jpegimage.jpeg.5596c9c5b5b209fe360031799fe5ead5.jpeg

I set PCI Latency timer to 64 clocks in BIOS. AGP Sideband Addressing doesn't seem to be working properly. If I set this in the BIOS to enable, the field is blank. If I set it to disable, the program says enable. I will look at the register values...

Changing romsips in AMI is easy. They are uncompressed at the end of the main BIOS. There are four tables for 100MHz, 133MHz, 166MHz and 200MHz (no Interface off/on). I simply changed the romsips, then I opened the modded BIOS with AMIBCP_v3.37 and saved it (to correct checksum?).

Not all of known romsips (X1, ED..) will work with AMI based BIOSes. I guess a Value in the first part of the romsips does not work with AMI. I will test more...

Delta-ILSR_DDED_A6.zip Delta-ILSR_EBED_A6.zip Delta-ILSR_ED_A6.zip Delta-ILSR_X1_A6.zip

Edited by digitalbath
  • Thanks 3

Very nice collection, especially the Mushkins... ❤️

Got a question regarding your ram booster. I know the Hipro5 Booster and the OCZ one. But i've never seen "FireRAM" before. What kind of booster is this? Does it work better than the OCZ one?

Auto660 designed and build the booster (FireRAM) this year. It is much better then the ocz booster when used fully. 
This unit can set dimm voltage and set vtt percentage. He is using free pins of the memory banks for this. I still have to make this mod on all motherboards. 
The only disadvantage is that you have to order and solder everything yourself. 

15AD10F0-B2BB-4DD5-9231-39BA04227D5D.jpeg

He is on HWbot and Discord as well. 

Edited by Sparks.nl
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, 4n0nym0u5b3nch3r said:

Corsair xms3202v5.2

Could be CH-5.

@stunned_guy posted a huge list of Corsair XMS on the hardwareluxx.de forums. Have a look at it, even when you're not able to read german. The list is self-explanatory :)

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/corsair-xms-ddr1-ic-datenbank.1038384/

@Sparks.nl

Woah, that one looks nice. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i might contact him for that booster. Sold my OCZ booster a while ago because i didn't like it. Voltage fluctuation was high and you couldn't adjust it that well.

• Like 1