HWBOT Community Forums

A7N8X-E Deluxe as an alternative for socket 462

TerraRaptor

What do you guys now about Epox 8RDAx PRO boards? There is almost no info about them, looks like they were the latest Epox boards on S462. I think they may have different MCP.

For sure they have better CPU VRM, 4 chokes instead of 3 and quite a lot of Mosfets in RAM VRM.

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/24417-awaiting-for-8rda3-pro.html?fbclid=IwAR2qHyWZs77W6uZURDmvljtqedg-0cMwVvMmsB2jKjtm0Ib1JrvuoZ-bO0s

On 7/26/2020 at 1:02 PM, digitalbath said:

I modded your BIOS for the EPOX 8RDA3I. Before flashing, please make sure, that CMOS register 73-78 are free. You can check it with this program. It should look something like this (in this screen CMOS register 73-78 are used by my mod):

Some things left to say:

• the FSB Frequency is limited in the BIOS by 250MHz.
  • 256KB BIOS!
  • BPL is 3.09 by default, I left it in the original version. I do not own good BPL Versions for 256kb BIOSes.
  • This BIOS versions should work, but they are completely untested! I will not be responsible for any damages! Having a programmed backup bios chip before flashing is not a bad idea.

8RDA3I_EBED_A6.zip 385.63 kB · 3 downloads 8RDA3I_ED_A6.zip 385.73 kB · 2 downlds 8RDA3I_X1_A6.zip 385.56 kB · 3 downloads

I flashed the EBED version , on my version 2.0 , 8RDA3I

Everything worked smoothly , and the board bios booted and memtested up to 240 with 2x512MB and 245 with 2x256MB

I will further test , when i have more free time.

Thank you.

• Like 2

• Crew
On 8/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, bartx said:

What do you guys now about Epox 8RDAx PRO boards? There is almost no info about them, looks like they were the latest Epox boards on S462. I think they may have different MCP.

For sure they have better CPU VRM, 4 chokes instead of 3 and quite a lot of Mosfets in RAM VRM.

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/24417-awaiting-for-8rda3-pro.html?fbclid=IwAR2qHyWZs77W6uZURDmvljtqedg-0cMwVvMmsB2jKjtm0Ib1JrvuoZ-bO0s

From pictures it looks like they really used new pcb revisions for those boards: 1.2 and 1.4. VRM looks indeed different.

8RDA3 range from rev1.1 over 2.1 to 3.1.
3.1 has really small mosfets and used some kind of "mosefet cooling on the pcb". The Pro boards seem to have the same but stronger VRM.
Rev2.1 and under could give 2.0V to CPUs but newer revisions were a bit lower AFAIR. Nforce NB should be late 2003 or newer and might be capable of nice FSB.

Edited by Strunkenbold

• Crew
15 hours ago, Strunkenbold said:

The Pro boards seem to have the same but stronger VRM.

Also they have a 5-bit FID meaning work fine with multi over 12,5. I've got 8RDA+ Pro and 8RDA3+ Pro. 8RDA6+ Pro is the same with additional controllers (SATA AFAIK).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Antinomy said:

Strange, maybe this needs some more investigation for the Pro series. What PCB ver and BIOS have you been using? CPU has a free multi?

Yes, the cpu has a free multi, only cpu’s with a stock multi which is higher then then 12,5x work with those multi’s. 
I am using ticktacs bios now, but the version from digitalbath or the original latest bios has the same issue. 
I don’t see any revision numbers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, TAGG said:

@Sparks.nl Have you ever gotten around to test the K7N2 Delta-ISLR BIOSs? cause i got one of those recently and would like to know how the EBED bios worked for you (guessing on a -L?) :)

I quick tested it in doing 260MHz fsb on a ed bios. Ebed should do better. 
I never really binned all off my boards. I should do it someday... 
I play around with socket 7 too much these days...

Indeed it is a -L. 

Edited by Sparks.nl

4 minutes ago, Sparks.nl said:

I quick tested it in doing 260MHz fsb on a ed bios. Ebed should do better. 

Well that makes me happy :D 240 is all i hope to archive, cause that's what the an7 that died did...

Edited by TAGG

It actually was a good buy when I look back. The MSI seems to be a great board, it is just that the bios was not that great back then. 
I still have 2 AN7 but these are not that stable. I don’t really use them untill I really have to. I had a 3rd which did a 270 post but 1 dimm slot was broken. 

• 4 months later...

I wish it was a dfi lanparty ultra b but i have a chance at the red infinity needs work just caps but boots. Its super cheap im thinking of jumping on it. Other wise plan A is still my 2 asus a7n8x v2's. Either got plenty of bh5,tccd and micron to throw at these in the meantime. Good work guys.

16148448157055239655152414727427.jpg

16148448998294122277689420347301.jpg

1614844917727144423611314820420.jpg

Screenshot_20210304-000258.jpg

Edited by grease90s
Needed to add pictures

13 minutes ago, TASOS said:

Not the best board out there , but it sure deserves a try.

Get it.

Figured but trading my also not impressive dfi lanparty 875rev a for it. I think on the plus side its atleast better then that lol. Im kinda thin on nf2 department to many kt266a-333 boards for voodoos.

• 1 month later...

Welllll... I think I did it... again.
NF7 is "dead". Soldered a Vmod to it now it's presumbly gone. It worked for a while after it failed the hard way  - red blinking LED and SB is heating like hell.

Stuck or shorted SB, as I think.

Is there a way to revive it? Dead forever? Exchanging the SB with a new one?

All full of german gibberish

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/sockel-a-462-amd-athlon-xp-xp-m-mp.584473/page-177#post-28330452

• Sad 2