HWBOT Community Forums

WTB EU: High-end Socket 939 board (FOUND)

Guest Wasmachineman_NL

Guest Wasmachineman_NL

Title. I had a A8N-SLI as a kid years ago and I would love to have another high end S939 board for a XP build.

Edited by Wasmachineman_NL

i have a couple of DFI ultra D boards here , but i beleive they have mosfet issues, power up but no boot, were damn good boards too, the only equivalent to them is the dfi venus and expert, i also have a venus, difference being the ram slots are located at the rear of the cpu socket towards the back plane, ultra d boards have the ram to the right of the cpu socket

Guest Wasmachineman_NL
11 hours ago, ozzie said:

i have a couple of DFI ultra D boards here , but i beleive they have mosfet issues, power up but no boot, were damn good boards too, the only equivalent to them is the dfi venus and expert, i also have a venus, difference being the ram slots are located at the rear of the cpu socket towards the back plane, ultra d boards have the ram to the right of the cpu socket

Is that Venus board better than the A8N(32)-SLI?

If your going for a retro build it wouldn't really mater that much any higher end board would work, if you are going to bench with it then a DFI board would be a better choice. Go to the hardware listing and pull up S939 boards and look at sub counts and start seeing what you can find. I personally use a a Asus A8N32-SLI-Deluxe all most all the time, do have four DFIs (lot better BIOS) but started with the Asus so just go to it out of habit and a little lazy as I don't want to take the time to learn the DFI BIOS. A good kit of RAM is just as important as the board and both are getting hard to come by!

Guest Wasmachineman_NL
2 minutes ago, Aleslammer said:

If your going for a retro build it wouldn't really mater that much any higher end board would work, if you are going to bench with it then a DFI board would be a better choice. Go to the hardware listing and pull up S939 boards and look at sub counts and start seeing what you can find. I personally use a a Asus A8N32-SLI-Deluxe all most all the time, do have four DFIs (lot better BIOS) but started with the Asus so just go to it out of habit and a little lazy as I don't want to take the time to learn the DFI BIOS. A good kit of RAM is just as important as the board and both are getting hard to come by!

I'm thinking of doing a SLI build with some 8800's so I can play STALKER in 1600p.

Guest Wasmachineman_NL
Just now, Aleslammer said:

Not much help, about the only thing I've ran in SLI on the the Asus board was a couple Quadro FX 4600 (8800 Ultra +/-) without problem.

Can you get full cover blocks for the FX 4600?

Guest Wasmachineman_NL
1 hour ago, Mr.Scott said:

Just a quick note:

If you're going to SLI on the DFI boards, you'll quickly kill the NB. SLI effectively covers all of the NB cooling area and it runs hot even without being covered in the first place.

Would the A8N-SLI be a better board for SLI?

Guest Wasmachineman_NL
1 minute ago, Jokot said:

Pretty sure I have a spare A8N-SLI Deluxe if you are interested.

That would be awesome because its passively cooled. What do you want for it?

12 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Is that Venus board better than the A8N(32)-SLI?

in my opinion yes by far but aleslammer is right, the bios in dfi boards are hard to get used to but once you work out thier quirks and know how they work theyre a dream of a board

scotty is also right, the NB runs warm normally and has to be cooled or it will fail

also , if you do decide on a  DFI board, make sure the cmos battery has no less than 3.0 v, dfi boards are notorious for the bios settings playing up if the cmos battery voltage  is down, it starts if the battery v is around the 2.8v mark, settings not saved properly and all sorts of issues arising

i have an asus AN8-SLI-PREMIUM board here too, bios less complicated than the dfi but imo ill stick with the dfi

Edited by ozzie
  • Like 1

Guest Wasmachineman_NL
6 hours ago, Bones said:

I'll throw in and say out of the Asus lineup the A8N32 SLI-Deluxe is the best for SLI use.

Has two x16 PCI-E lanes, that does make a difference and OC's well enough too.

Except finding a A8N32-SLI is quite hard nowadays.