HWBOT Community Forums

Binning sempron

gtxx58

I had only one sempron and two asus boards, crosshair v and m2n32. Sempron goes high bclk easily with ddr2 but I had issues with board itself (had no separate voltage for vnb etc) and wasn't lucky with 14.5 multi (14 worked much better - seems motherboard was not setting timings properly with any .5 multi).

With ddr3 it is essential to get a good board (asus seems not to be favourite here), good mem and flash proper spd into ram (i.e. I had no boot issue with gtx2 spd even at stock, the best for my setup was custom made spd based on gskill 1866c9 bbse).

Sempron has reasonably high fsb wall imho (>420 bclk @air with ddr2 in my tests) and overclocking is limited by something related to ram/nb. I haven't yet paid enough time to it. For ddr3 it may also be a good idea to distinguish boot frequency and stable frequency in windows - you can get 10% in frequency by overclocking further in windows.

All my Sempron CPUs scale equally with cold in terms of HTRef, but I haven't tested many, so that might not be valid for all.

I have 2 untested 150's, but can't find time for all the projects I have, so they'll wait. Nowadays, you need a high clocking DDR3 board to be competitive, unless you find a CPU that runs 6.7+ CB15 on DDR2 board.

But anyway, you won't find a CPU better than mine ?

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Yeah I definitely would agree that the best possible score is gonna be to bin ddr3 boards for high bclk. Also remember that there are some subtimings that you still can't set in bios so certain boards have slightly higher ipc than others. For example C4E gets higher 32m scores than C4F, could end up mattering for something like GB3 or even r15.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE !

Im not passing to much time on the platform but binning for th moment is impossible to do (890fxa-ud7) its seem to be limited at around 385-390fsb whatever cpu i put in it, overdrive or not, single stick or 2. FSB seem to scale with VID northbridge but not that much, i know that board do much higher, i think ale belo or cnzdrn push it between 415 and 430. maybe someone has a idea ?

Ganged help but not at this point!

Edited by gtxx58

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 7:19 PM, gtxx58 said:

UPDATE !

Im not passing to much time on the platform but binning for th moment is impossible to do (890fxa-ud7) its seem to be limited at around 385-390fsb whatever cpu i put in it, overdrive or not, single stick or 2. FSB seem to scale with VID northbridge but not that much, i know that board do much higher, i think ale belo or cnzdrn push it between 415 and 430. maybe someone has a idea ?

Ganged help but not at this point!

The main problem you have is dram.

For bclk with ud7 my best result is based on elpida hyper, high binned hyper, bbse is good and psc is the worst dram to use.

All sempron 145/150 that I tested can do atleast 408 dual unganged or 415 dual ganged.

Single stick can do the same you can do with ganged.

Best stick slot 3, the second slot 4.

I bin each stick individually, max boot and max on Windows. 

PS I use ud7 rev 2.1 maybe rev 2.0 works different 

PS 2 cpu-nb is the imc voltage, if you set 1,3-1,35v you can do about 2800 imc freq and push dram to max reference they can do

12 hours ago, cnzdrn said:

The main problem you have is dram.

For bclk with ud7 my best result is based on elpida hyper, high binned hyper, bbse is good and psc is the worst dram to use.

Did you tried d9gt? It always seemed high vdimm helped either with bclk or keeping channels from dropping which is why hypers are better for me, but I haven't tried d9s which should have higher voltage 

I will try d9's when I will find some sticks.

High vdimm for me is useless, with sempron from 1.72 to 1.85 I give same reference.

It's chip related. Same settings give me 435 fsb geekbench 3 with 960t at 1.81vdimm. 

https://hwbot.org/submission/4258887_cnzdrn_reference_frequency_ga_890fxa_ud7_437.99_mhz/

I think some chip have better imc, I just need to find another one :(

With ud7 and biostar 890fx I never lost dual channel, only with asus or 990fx ud3 I see that problem. 

1 hour ago, yosarianilives said:

Does it help from dropping channels

I was checking 1:2 only and I think channels drop at higher dram frequencies. I was limited by  350mhz bclk last time I tried to figure it out with hypers and Vdimm from 1.75v to 2.2v didn't help me at all (I also had a different session with d9 before). It was completely board related for me - different ram sticks, different cpus, different clockgen settings and still not even 5MHz difference for me. The only thing to try is cold NB but it is really unsafe to mount SS on that tiny chip. I decided to try my luck with DFI 790FXB and fatbodies.

I was also playing with different SPD into same ram sticks and it makes certain difference.

Probably we should try replacing AGESA/PEI/etc in bios and see what it does. The problem I see here is Asus using UEFI and Giga using older BIOS. Probably I will try replacing some modules in my C5F with modules from C5FZ one day. Binning boards is a no go for me.

28 minutes ago, TerraRaptor said:

The only thing to try is cold NB but it is really unsafe to mount SS on that tiny chip. 

Indeed, that's how one of my ud4p died. But I should've known better than to gravity mount a pot when the hole spacing was wrong for my backplate, pot slid off the chip while it was running and I think the nb fried. 

Ok I did some test with ud7 ver 2.0 and bios f5a 

I tested 3 145, one stopped at 410 second stopped at 412 and the last stopped at 449 ?

All tested with same profile, with dram set to ganged mode.

For this I set vcore 1.45 cpu-nb 1.375 dram 1.79

I used stock cooler plus a 120mm fan to cooling dram/nb.

https://hwbot.org/submission/4320473_cnzdrn_reference_frequency_ga_890fxa_ud7_448.98_mhz

Next step try with hyper and unganged.

Edited by Bilko
Removed recalc part from link
  • Like 3