HWBOT Community Forums

PSC as a possible alternative to hypers on lga 775

As the price and rarity of hypers increases I wanted to see if I could find an ic that could at least match average hypers. The first ic I tried was psc on cascade phase change. The stick is my worst stick of psc but the only one that I can mount to my phase unit currently. 

This run was done at 1.76V and the stick scaled negatively above that. If I use ln2 trcd might be able to be lowered to 6 and with my rex it may be able to do cl5. I will be doing 32m testing when I get my heat spreaders from bartx and will test against hypers to see if the cold psc comes anywhere close.

930 psc 6-7-5.jpg

Notes: Thermal paste was hy 510 and mounting was not very good due to not having proper mounting hardware and the heat spreader read -64c so with better mounting and paste it might go a little further on cascade  

Edited by Mythical tech
  • Like 2

Just now, TerraRaptor said:

I have psc that is capable 8-12-8 2700 ambient but could make any decent results with it on lga775, cold or not. The only ic that was my favourite except hypers/d9 is bbse - at least I was able to get them stable 100-120 mhz higher than hypers several years ago (2000 with hypers vs 2133 with bbse).

What timing I only have a single stick of bbse and it is very bad. I think with a tec on the plate under the cascade head and one of my good psc sticks I should be able to do 1050 5-7-5 if the rex likes cl5 with a trfc of 60 

Don't remember really - was surprised that bbse was easier for x48 to push with same PL/CL. 

Here is my recent score with cold single-sided bbse, random sticks - https://hwbot.org/submission/4291816_terraraptor_superpi___32m_core_2_duo_e8200_9min_56sec_781ms

It was capable of 5-8-5 yet no chance to complete 32M, may be the board limit. Haven't yet tried with dual-sided bbse, should cut 3-4 seconds (that will make bbse only 5-7sec  behind my best run with hypers).

• 1 month later...

i do some testing this day, try a kits of bdbg on ln2, seem not bad on weak fsb board but at 2000mhz not seem to be tighter than psc but it is so light on imc,  next days i try g-die

single side, for reference i try decent dom 7-8-7 hyper on neg ambient  (-10)  and done 2020 6-6-4-20 at at 1.95v.

https://hwbot.org/submission/4390943_gtxx58_superpi___32m_core_2_duo_e8400_9min_23sec_473ms

Edited by gtxx58

I tried experimenting with this multiple times in the last decade, but I don't think you can do much better than Hypers on X48. Ultimately, it's all a matter of convenience - the only way to beat ambient Hypers is running cold on your memory. However, given how many more variables it adds to the troubleshooting procedure, how poorly-designed X48 boards are from reliability standpoint, and how difficult good boards are to replace in case of death, it's not really worth the effort.

Still, if we want to have a theoretical discussion:
D9GTR: single-sided sticks usually need high tRFC (60+) above 1025-ish and 1000+ capable dual-sided sticks are impossible to find (I wasn't able to do so in 11 years)
BBSE: on ambient you're likely to hit the same IMC cap as Hypers while running looser tRCD, on cold you can probably do tRCD 6 at 1000-1050 which could be interesting (given that BBSE also like tight-ish tRAS and tRFC)
BDBG / PSC: even on cold you're not likely to go below tRCD 7 at 1050, so you'll be losing to ambient Hypers, especially given that BDBG/PSC run looser tRAS and tRFC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TaPaKaH said:

I tried experimenting with this multiple times in the last decade, but I don't think you can do much better than Hypers on X48. Ultimately, it's all a matter of convenience - the only way to beat ambient Hypers is running cold on your memory. However, given how many more variables it adds to the troubleshooting procedure, how poorly-designed X48 boards are from reliability standpoint, and how difficult good boards are to replace in case of death, it's not really worth the effort.

Still, if we want to have a theoretical discussion:
D9GTR: single-sided sticks usually need high tRFC (60+) above 1025-ish and 1000+ capable dual-sided sticks are impossible to find (I wasn't able to do so in 11 years)
BBSE: on ambient you're likely to hit the same IMC cap as Hypers while running looser tRCD, on cold you can probably do tRCD 6 at 1000-1050 which could be interesting (given that BBSE also like tight-ish tRAS and tRFC)
BDBG / PSC: even on cold you're not likely to go below tRCD 7 at 1050, so you'll be losing to ambient Hypers, especially given that BDBG/PSC run looser tRAS and tRFC

I am definitely not going to be beating hypers especially if you took the hypers cold then it is just game over for every other ic. I will be happy with this experiment if I can get something to run as fast as half decent hypers on ambient. The nest two ic's I am hopefully going to try see highly binned D9GTR and if I can get the chance I am going to try super high binned BBSE on single stage and cascade to see if I can get any good results. 

Edited by Mythical tech

• 4 months later...

Check out my hypers. ? /ssnap-01.01-00_20.thumb.png.ef1cb7c86799f59c2420e7167dd5d38d.png

2100 6-7-5-20-64 1T PL6 works fine for 1M, ran out of LN2 before trying 32M. RP4 was unstable in 1M, didn't try lower RAS or RFC but probably can be tightened a bit. 1.95V worked fine for me.

Edit: also this was 1M with wazza, so at least some stability needed for that.

Edited by Noxinite
  • Thanks 3