HWBOT Community Forums

MSI Z490 XOC BIOS/Tools

1 hour ago, hansglans said:

How did you contact Toppc Lin? I really hope they are working on this and I'd like to bring as much attention to it as possible.

his official youtube Channel Toppc Lin (MSI) Youtube

I asked him directly in his video and he replied - "i will check this"

there in this Vid: "INTEL forced the new 12VO power architecture...."

1.2w bios definitely helps with the poor latency results.

PPD 0

txp 5 gave a little boost to bandwidth not much. I tried it auto ( 12 for my memory config ) and 5 it made no impact to latency.

The 1.2w bios or the above PPD 0 setting got the latency down roughly 4-5ns even running rather relaxed timings.

Back to running memory tests to verify it sacrificed no stability.

1.2w 1900.jpg

1.2w 2000.jpg

Edited by chew*

On 9/9/2020 at 2:33 AM, chew* said:

PPD 0

txp 5 gave a little boost to bandwidth not much. I tried it auto ( 12 for my memory config ) and 5 it made no impact to latency.

The 1.2w bios or the above PPD 0 setting got the latency down roughly 4-5ns even running rather relaxed timings.

1.2w 1900.jpg

1.2w 2000.jpg

afaik if ppd is 0 txp is not used / not applied for memory related applications

the z490i has txp and ppd adjustment in-bios?

6 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

afaik if ppd is 0 txp is not used / not applied for memory related applications

the z490i has txp and ppd adjustment in-bios?

As of 1.2w yes. txp on its own makes no difference in the unify I latency. I tested just PPD 0 and that alone solves the latency issue roughly lowering it 4-5ns.

I still think its maybe 1-2 ns off but then I'm comparing to a very mature z390 board I have pulling sub 40ns at only 16-16-16 3600 with similarly conservative sub timings like the above screenshots.

Considering we are only 3 1/2 bios in on z490 I feel like this is rather reasonable as the platforms certainly not mature yet.

As far as stability goes. The above settings still work except trefi.

It passed hci 2000% task and tm5 anta extreme but failed prime 95  ( hard crash reboot ) custom full mem use. 

Set trefi to auto retested and now passing prime like its literally about 1hr and 15min away from a full 24 hour pass now.

Could just be the added strain to IMC+32gb+PPD 0 and most likely will not effect 2x8gb users. This is at 2000 ( 4000 effective ) 1900 ( 3800 ) might be able to handle it.

Keep in mind I'm using a NEO ( AMD ) 3600 c16 bin of b die as well. 

*EDIT*

Added screenshots. What I passed in HCI/TM5 versus prime custom full memory usage which is why I still trust prime to this day. Also tossed in the z390 3600 latency expectations that I'm comparing to my z490 latency expectations.

2000 HCI 2000task 12w bios.jpg

2000 anta777 extreme 12w bios.jpg

2000 prime 95 12w bios.jpg

Latency Asrock 3600.jpg

Latency Msi 2000.jpg

Edited by chew*
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 7:18 AM, GreenBB said:

So is there only 1 XOC bios for the ATX version of unify?
I only managed to achieve 4200c16 with 4 sticks of t-force 4500 mem with very high voltages, though 2 sticks can run 4700c19 and higher, even for the daisy chain the difference is too high.
Also 1t doesn't work even on 3700mhz with any timings. Being pretty upset with this mobo. Could've buy z490 elite.

I think I should swap 4 single to 2 dual dimms.

I have ran 4400c17 using the newer gskill 4000c15 4x8 kit(did not do any long term stability tests). I have not tried the 2x8 Team kits I have in 4x8 on the Unify.

I also have Team 8Pack 3600c18 2x16 and it will run 4600c17-c18 for benches I haven't tried to get it stable for daily as the voltages need to be much higher so I am settling on 4400c18-19-19-39-360-655535 for now as it will be a setup for someone else so reliability is more of a priority than every last bit of performance and so far 4400c18 1.4v dim 1.3io, 1.4sa is easy to get stable with 2x16gb.

I also had a z490 Hero and I couldn't get past 4000 on 4x8 and 4133 on 2x16and be stable. Supposedly the newer gskill 2x16 kits(new PCB?)are easier to get in the 4400-4500 on z490.

2 hours ago, Sparky's__Adventure said:

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

New test bios for Godlike, Ace, Unify, and Unify ITX. Much better support for dual rank OC. Also, high frequency 1t support was finally added! 4800c13 1t direct boot has been done on the Unify I.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1eD1QxbQfun1M5tMYvPyxMUc5yueZLN3S

I didn't see any difference from A2u. cr1 doesn't work... z490 unify

3 hours ago, Sparky's__Adventure said:

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

New test bios for Godlike, Ace, Unify, and Unify ITX. Much better support for dual rank OC. Also, high frequency 1t support was finally added! 4800c13 1t direct boot has been done on the Unify I.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1eD1QxbQfun1M5tMYvPyxMUc5yueZLN3S

Artificial manual tuning DR dimm wall at 2000 is gone. No clue how far it can go yet. Seems that training may be improved I'll test more my 2000 profile would load from defaults sometimes and sometimes I had to baby step to 1900 then 2000 but seems to handle shotgun approach better now. Not 100% sure but looks like have lost 1ns latency.

artificial 2000 wall gone.jpg

Edited by chew*
  • Like 1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eD1QxbQfun1M5tMYvPyxMUc5yueZLN3S

New v12Z shared by Toppc Lin. It has N:1T support (fake 1T) and Power Down Control for ITX. (ATX still not fixed afaik)
Now we need true 1T by having them set "Command Rate Support" to 0.

Note: MTI = MemTweakIt.
Bios CR1 equals to "?T" (or N:1T) in MTI.
Changing "?T" to "1T" should change it to actual 1T until reboot, but not sure if it's actually applied as the difference is small.

1Tbios_TMTI.png

1Tbios1TMTI.png

2Tbios2TMTI.png

Edited by hansglans

10 hours ago, pipes said:

More stable with last microcode a0655

define stable.

I probably run more stability then most. I could pass anything anyone asked before at 2k yet not load the profile 100% and get a failed Oc reset.

Now I don't get a failed Oc reset loading a 2k profile I'm let see at 23 hour mark in prime 95 which 99% of users won't even run.... That would denote more stable.

Oh before I forget. At least on my bios they added the DLLbwEN options theres 4 of them.

Edited by chew*

On 9/9/2020 at 8:33 AM, chew* said:

PPD 0

1.2w 1900.jpg

1.2w 2000.jpg

Is the high latency on msi boards now fixed with that Bios? 

I changed my board from Asus maximus hero XII with 4400 c17 to msi ace and now 4600 c17 but latency on msi board is way way too high. 

Should i try the Bios? 

15 hours ago, hansglans said:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eD1QxbQfun1M5tMYvPyxMUc5yueZLN3S

New v12Z shared by Toppc Lin. It has N:1T support (fake 1T) and Power Down Control for ITX. (ATX still not fixed afaik)
Now we need true 1T by having them set "Command Rate Support" to 0.

Note: MTI = MemTweakIt.
Bios CR1 equals to "?T" (or N:1T) in MTI.
Changing "?T" to "1T" should change it to actual 1T until reboot, but not sure if it's actually applied as the difference is small.

1Tbios_TMTI.png

1Tbios1TMTI.png

2Tbios2TMTI.png

Is high latency a thing on msi z490?

Changed from Maximus XII hero to msi ace and latency is horrible, like 5ms more with Same settings. 

9 hours ago, chew* said:

definire stabile.

Probabilmente ho più stabilità della maggior parte. Potrei passare qualsiasi cosa chiunque abbia chiesto prima a 2k ma non caricare il profilo al 100% e ottenere un ripristino Oc non riuscito.

Ora non ottengo un ripristino Oc non riuscito durante il caricamento di un profilo 2k che vedo a 23 ore nel primo 95 che il 99% degli utenti non eseguirà nemmeno ... Ciò denoterebbe più stabile.

Oh prima che mi dimentichi. Almeno sul mio BIOS hanno aggiunto le opzioni DLLbwEN, ce ne sono 4.

More stable of the First microcode Sorry for forget

19 hours ago, technikswd said:

….."Now we need true 1T by having them set "Command Rate Support" to 0".....

what do you mean - "set "Command Rate Support"?

Where is that Option? 

Command Rate Support | VarOffset: 0x212, VarStore: SaSetup (0x16)
          Disabled: 0x0
          1 CMD: 0x1
          2 CMDs: 0x2
          3 CMDs: 0x3 (default)
          4 CMDs: 0x4
          5 CMDs: 0x5
          6 CMDs: 0x6
          7 CMDs: 0x7

It's a hidden setting changeable with Grub. I set it from 0x3 to 0x0 and see some improvements:unknown.png?width=1440&height=588

The weird thing is that MemTweakIt still shows 0x0 as ?T (or  N:1T) - it should show 1T.
The test on the right is after setting it to 1T in MemTweakIt.

6 hours ago, Sladen said:

Is the high latency on msi boards now fixed with that Bios? 

I changed my board from Asus maximus hero XII with 4400 c17 to msi ace and now 4600 c17 but latency on msi board is way way too high. 

Should i try the Bios? 

I would go with the latest. Your latency issues is just the PPD setting bottom of mem timing page. Set PPD enabled in power options then set the PPD to 0.

2 hours ago, chew* said:

I would go with the latest. Your latency issues is just the PPD setting bottom of mem timing page. Set PPD enabled in power options then set the PPD to 0.

PPD setting doesnt make 5-6ns latency Difference...

4400 c17 Asus board 37ns

4600 c17 msi board 41ns 

4400 c17 msi board 43ns 

There is no ppd in msi Bios. 

13 hours ago, Sladen said:

PPD setting doesnt make 5-6ns latency Difference...

4400 c17 Asus board 37ns

4600 c17 msi board 41ns 

4400 c17 msi board 43ns 

There is no ppd in msi Bios. 

you would be wrong. If i was not running memtests right now to screenshot i'd go screenshot bios right now. Unify I memory timing page bottom of page power options PPD enabled 2 or 3 settings down from that I have PPD 0 set.

These are not even try hard memory timings and I'm sub 40ns because I have PPD 0 set in bios. And yes it absolutely on it's own does. My latency would be 45-46ns if i change nothing but that. I've already stated this in this thread if you read.

Also the Asus being at 37ns @ 4400 c17 is not impressing me. My Asrock gets 37ns @ just c15 3600.

Looks like PPD to me in screenshot 3 but maybe I forgot how to spell. Added as of 1.2w.

screenshot 4 shows what was added with 1.2z bios.

Latency Msi 2000.jpg

Latency Asrock 3600.jpg

MSI_SnapShot.jpg

MSI_SnapShot_00.jpg

Edited by chew*