HWBOT Community Forums

Scoring system is unfair for Enthusiasts

Dear HWBOT,

OGS, Splave, Xtreme Addict, rsannino, Rbuass, mllrkllr88, bigblock, Luumi, Rauf, keeph8n, Dancop, ikki and many more are great overclockers.
I do bow before them as I'm only air and liquid guy.... 
But bear in mind: we Enthusiast can't and will not obtain similar scores. We are operating after the gap and there is more:
Fun fact is manufacturers makes BIOSes for their cards. Exotic also - I just got to know. Like ASUS made 600W BIOS for Strix. 
It is impossible to get this BIOS even if you would like to go for NDA if you're not a partner.
So... the Elite or people who are already partners with ASUS (or others) will get 600W BIOS for example. They will beat every records. Others will be trying to compete with standard 450W BIOS. The Enthusiasts which are not manufacturers partners will be competing on much lower cooling capacities with 450W BIOS. Then comes the gap in scoring... Our points are just scraps of the scores from Elite/Extreme group. Despite we are trying to compete and testing our possibilities on every platform there is... we are not really getting anywhere close. But does it really depends only on time spent on overclocking or event on the sample of hardware that we have?  
I think not. 

Couldn't HWBOT establish much more divided scoring in different Leagues?
Including the gap in scoring between Elite or sponsored result just seems more and more unfair.

I am a patron of Benchmate - this should be obligatory for any benchmarks in Enthusiast, but enthusiast should have different scoring. 

Rookies nad Novice should be divided for Enthusiast Rookies/Novice and Extreme Rookies/Novice. 
If submission is for Enthusiast type of score rig picture and Benchmate is required. 
Right now operating after gap is just killing the fun more and more. 
You can have like 1st score in Enthusiast league and get 2.3pts... despite you were better than next 600 scores and even 20% better than average. 
Because there are 25 Extreme league scores better than yours and no 1 with LN2 is 30% better than yours . 

Think about it for the next year HWBOT Team ;)

• Crew

The current cut-off scoring system will be removed, so everybody will get more points down the road... but we need to address more urgent matters first.

Other stuff:

Rules will be simplified

Benchmate will be further used, but we need to sync the benchmarks with and without benchmate. Now to make it obligatory for enthusiasts I see no added value there.

But first things first... Check out the thread here: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/194486-hwbot-2020-make-it-great-again-thread/#comments

• Like 3

I think many stay in enthusiast because they don't have access to more cooling, not interested, etc. But some stay in because they enjoy being a big fish in small pond so to speak, some stay in enthusiast because they can rank high there but wouldn't be able to in other leagues. I'd like to see those people have a push to try extreme cooling. The people who are interested but are too scared of losing their top 10 league position

On 11/15/2020 at 1:32 AM, yosarianilives said:

I think many stay in enthusiast because they don't have access to more cooling, not interested, etc. But some stay in because they enjoy being a big fish in small pond so to speak, some stay in enthusiast because they can rank high there but wouldn't be able to in other leagues. I'd like to see those people have a push to try extreme cooling. The people who are interested but are too scared of losing their top 10 league position

I think each user would have to determine what he/she is interested in. I am sure some of the Enthusiast take great pride in having potentially beaten someone's Dry ice scores while they have only air/water cooling.  It would be directly illegal for me to run LN in the place i live at present.  I think different leagues are important and one should not have to be interested in getting to extreme leagues. Its a significant different cost factor.  I correlate this to another technical hobby (ham radio) where people are working in different leagues also with great success since about 50 years. People building their own transmitters with 1mW output to basic radio with 100W and the general norm as max output with 1000 W amplifiers. Meaning the cost for individual can vary from 50 USD homebrew to state of the art 100,000 USD stations. The challenges are completely different but equally interesting and no need to push someone to take part in something they will never have interest in.

• Like 2