HWBOT Community Forums

eVBot & ROG XPander

An interesting approach might be to disallow certain "new" hardware in different leagues and thus create a grace period for each league. For instance:

- Pro League: everything allowed from day one

- Overclockers League: new hardware (eg: i7 3960X or 7970) does not generate points untill 1 month after launch

- Enthusiast League: new hardware (eg: i7 3960X or 7970) does not generate points untill 3 month after launch

This would allow users of non-Pro leagues to not have to worry about buying new high-end HW directly after launch.

//edit: we could even take this a step further and disallow, for instance, 3/4xGPU configurations of the latest VGA tech to be applicable for points in non-Pro leagues.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who had the opportunity to have one 7970 in the last month of 2011 ? ;)

Here in Greece, you can buy 7970 @ shops (from 22/12/2011).

availability: 5 pcs? 20 pcs? 100 pcs? i dont know but you can buy one for 579€ :P

Edited by amdnord

• Crew
An interesting approach might be to disallow certain "new" hardware in different leagues and thus create a grace period for each league. For instance:

- Overclockers League: new hardware (eg: i7 3960X or 7970) does not generate points untill 1 month after launch

- Enthusiast League: new hardware (eg: i7 3960X or 7970) does not generate points untill 3 month after launch

This would allow users of non-Pro leagues to not have to worry about buying new high-end HW directly after launch.

//edit: we could even take this a step further and disallow, for instance, 3/4xGPU configurations of the latest VGA tech to be applicable for points in non-Pro leagues.

Yessssssssssssssssssss

That's what I wanted to say in my very bad English!! That's what I thought Bro!

Thank you for your understand, ( my english sometimes is confusing) :o

You guys are taking this thing way too seriously, you got to understand that's no way to make the rules so everybody would be happy.

I used to be like you struggling for every point, but when I found out that you can go and bench your own VGA's on somebody else's binned CPU's (as some people do, no names here :) ) I said it's not worth it. I can do the same, but for what? Beeing in TOP10 for 2 weeks? :)

I have at home the GTX580 Lightning from MOA that does 1600MHz+ 3DMark11, 3 x Radeon HD 7970 and 5590MHz 3960x but I don't seem to find the motivation to bench... It's not about the skill anymore, it's about who have the right BIOS, the right software, knows all the mods and have the best sample and that's very sad!

Maybe the issue is with me, but I think more and more people think like me and this sport it's not what it used to be :(

Why not set the date at launch? That's the most reasonable date. 1-3 months is too long, at least - that's for sure. You don't need 1-3 months to find and buy a piece of hardware if you got the cash available at launch. And that part isn't really our problem. I agree that hardware shouldn't receive boints before the release date, but that's it. Or make that 1 week after launch, maybe. Then people who buy at launch have a good chance at benching before the "ban" is lifted.

• Crew

availability: 5 pcs? 20 pcs? 100 pcs? i dont know but you can buy one for 579€ :P

Wooowww here in Buenos Aires at this time, only pictures, and now too :D

Please, you can buy one of this for me ?.

This GPU is amazing, but you understand my point of view ?

Not all countries in the world in December had that opportunity, we only discovered in the USA and Europe Forums .

Until now in Latinamerica, nothing of this and in newegg (USA) too, Mwave USA ( dont have) ZipzoomFly Usa ( dont have) :(

Maybe europe have, but is too far to buy

Edited by Sweet

You can buy one ONLY IF you ask from the shop to ignore the release date and give you one earlier...illegal...or better not legal :)

i understood what you mean thats why i said only here in GR :P

there is no review sample (yet) but shops are selling it (lulz)

i think on monday will be available @ shops everywhere :D so be patient

@psofos

not actually.

if they have it @ shop, and you are there, you can buy it :P

Edited by amdnord

Why not set the date at launch? That's the most reasonable date. 1-3 months is too long, at least - that's for sure. You don't need 1-3 months to find and buy a piece of hardware if you got the cash available at launch. And that part isn't really our problem. I agree that hardware shouldn't receive boints before the release date, but that's it. Or make that 1 week after launch, maybe. Then people who buy at launch have a good chance at benching before the "ban" is lifted.

The whole point of the grace period is giving people time to save, test, play and bench a card. 1 week is definitely not enough for all that ...

• Crew

Matose is right here said a great truth: we must care for overclockers, because many overclockers depress, left it because they see that they never get anything.

Is this happening now, unfortunately in my country, only 10 or 12 overclockers go on, and there are 300 registered in Hw

Edit 2 or 3 or 15: is very good debate, to improve and equalize those involved in each league, in addition to this debate is valid for all

Edited by Sweet

• Crew

like this: maybe

- Pro League: everything allowed from day one Ok.

- Overclockers League: new hardware (eg: i7 3960X or 7970) does not generate points until 3 weeks after launch Ok

- Enthusiast League: new hardware (eg: i7 3960X or 7970) does not generate points until 5 weeks after launch OK

Edited by Sweet

• Crew
I'm not looking for a compromise to implement directly, just spitballing ideas here. For 7970, this new rule (if we decide to go with it) will definitely not be used.

Sorry i dont understand you, this new rule should not be for all hardware (reference - ES or something else) ?

This is only for 7970 ?., :rolleyes:

in the future new nvidia ? and then new Ati - AMD ?....

for next nvidia release,i traveled to Athens to get one of those, before the rest, Lol

Edited by Sweet

No, I mean: this new rule will not be implemented for HD 7970 (requires too much coding), so finding a quick compromise for grace period (3 weeks, 1 month or longer) isn't what I wanted to discuss when I posted the idea. I just wanted to see if people would like the basic concept of this idea first.

The whole point of the grace period is giving people time to save, test, play and bench a card. 1 week is definitely not enough for all that ...

I don't get what you mean by "save", but the rest is easily done within a week. You don't need 4-5 days to run a few benchmarks. Maybe you'd get better scores if you had a month, but does that really matter? Why not make the grace period 6 months so everyone would have binned a bunch of good cards while we're at it?

I don't get what you mean by "save", but the rest is easily done within a week. You don't need 4-5 days to run a few benchmarks. Maybe you'd get better scores if you had a month, but does that really matter? Why not make the grace period 6 months so everyone would have binned a bunch of good cards while we're at it?

- "Save" money.

- Yes, you do need more than 4-5 days to get competitive benchmark scores

- Yes it really matters.

Not really a good thing this "delay" between accepting results in the different leagues, but I already said my opinion earlier and didn't get much feedback so I will not insist. I think my opinions are old school :)

It's not that the opinions are old school, wrong or not interesting ... it's just that they all relate to the same problems:

1) This is an online environment: very difficult to enforce certain rules (eg: hw sharing)

2) More people are doing extreme oc: more people equals more competition, which increases the value of keeping certain software to yourself (tweaks, bios)

3) More and more we realise that everything we do is relative to silicon quality. The best tweaker will not beat a lucky 1700MHz GTX580 in 3Dmark11.

It's "easy" to think or say that it used to be much better, because it's so hard to say if it really was. It was different, that's true.

- "Save" money.

- Yes, you do need more than 4-5 days to get competitive benchmark scores

- Yes it really matters.

If the launch date is known a few months before (which is often the case), then there's plenty of time to save $$$ to buy a card, and the extra weeks won't really help.

When the card is newly released most scores will be competitive. Competitive doesn't mean #1, after all.

1 month is way overkill anyway. That's 30 days - you don't need 30+ sessions to get a set of decent scores. How about a 10 days delay? Then you have a week if you assume 3 days of waiting for the card to arrive in the mail, which should be enough if you just use those days for benching.

Knopflerbruce, do you realize that most people have a day job as well as a family and do not have time to have 30+ session in one month ?

A month is not what I suggested either. I said a week for benching. Shouldn't be that much of a problem to tell your wife you'll be busy after work for ONE week. After all, these releases don't happen that often.

I already thought about work, you don't bench 16h straight - so if i didn't I would've said 60+:D By 30+ I meant one pr day + maybe two the days you don't go to work. At least as some upper limit.

Plus, I'm not sure if it really helps - when the NDA is lifted and people get their parts they'll still post scores on different sites (XS, ORB...) - which is not good for HWBot as people won't visit this site to find the current records.