HWBOT Community Forums

eVBot & ROG XPander

3. I think it's bad cause someone in OC League won't be interesting object for vendor, cause OC League isn't promoted.

That was the whole point of the league ... to keep vendors out and give people who buy their own gear a place to compete :).

If we tell people "this is the league to watch", then anyone who could benefit from exposure in the league (ie: vendor) will try to get his product with the top user. So, if you promote the crap out of the Overclockers League, the vendors will start interfering again. That's the crux of it all: a lot of people wanted a league that was just about overclocking and not about marketing anymore. So, that's what we try to create. Isn't that a good thing? :confused:

In my opinion - NO, that's why I would love to see that some big player in OC comunity (like HWBOT) started better policy and collect, politely ask vendors to make it public etc. I hope you catch me.

Probably in contrary to what you think of me, that's what I've been doing for a long time. And not just politely asked, but actually tried giving them solutions for the situation. But, of course I'm not the one that makes any of the decisions.

I agree that BIOSes should be shared - unless the bencher did the coding himself, which is highly unlikely.

I know K|ngp|n regrets posting the Evga P67 3DMark01 BIOS in public as a few days later Asus came with a bios themselves pretending they figured out the big mystery.

I don't understand why you have a double standard here. BIOSes should be shared unless the overclocker coded it himself. So, modifications should be shared too, unless the overclocker found them himself? In that logic, everyone has to figure out everything himself and no one is expected to share anything.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know K|ngp|n regrets posting the Evga P67 3DMark01 BIOS in public as a few days later Asus came with a bios themselves pretending they figured out the big mystery.

I don't understand why you have a double standard here. BIOSes should be shared unless the overclocker coded it himself. So, modifications should be shared too, unless the overclocker found them himself? In that logic, everyone has to figure out everything himself and no one is expected to share anything.

Exactly. No-one is EXPECTED to share, but alot of guys still do. Still, people must be allowed to have some secrets - after all, figuring out the mods is a skill, too. If EVERYTHING is shared, all tweaks and all mods, then in the end it's about who has the fastest chip, and that would be kinda boring if you ask me.

If people actually share two mods and keep one secret, let's be happy about the two we got for free, instead of bitching about that one that's hidden.:D And try to figure out the last one on our own. That's the way we should really think. As long as the white papers are available anyone can figure these things out, only knowledge (and unwillingness to risk your own card for mod testing, perhaps) is the limit of what you can do.

• Crew
You guys are taking this thing way too seriously, you got to understand that's no way to make the rules so everybody would be happy.

i agree with my bench-mother team mate,

what you also have to keep in mind is this is essentially making people move to pro league because they have something thats not retail,

what about if i do some mods to my 7970 that i didnt tell anyone about, do i need to go straight to pro league?

what if I find a new way to do copywaza that gains me 2 more seconds in 32m? do i need to move to pro league too?

what about if i send my board back for RMA and they replace a capacitor, its been modified now by Gigabyte or ASUS, its not as it was retail, do i need to move to pro league?

this is a moot point i think

• Crew

2. Dividing OC Leagues was a noble idea but all Leagues should be promoted the same by HWBOT, all deserve its place on frontpage in my opinion.

the english premiere league doesnt promote its 2nd, 3rd divisions like its top division, why would it? it doesnt have the same impact, i think if you want to be seen by "sponsors" or whatever, you need to be in the top league

I don't think your comments sit in the same way as a specifically designed and marketed product that doesn't make/hasn't yet made it to shops.

RMA is available to anyone who buys the product through retail, no understanding of tweaks should force people to move leagues.

Hardmods..... The higher up someone is, the more advanced the mods are *likely* to be, but there are guys in the Pro league who can't mod... and there are guys in the Enthus League who really REALLY can :) So..... I would say there's a reasonable balance there.

Sponsors: responsible & smart sponsors will still check the lower leagues for talent, nurture it and....yep.... cash in on the best while they're still cheap.

Edited by K404

Sponsors: responsible & smart sponsors will still check the lower leagues for talent, nurture it and....yep.... cash in on the best while they're still cheap.

Wow. Okay.

I think there's a different problem than just retail availability. That's a problem with the fundamental interpretation of what the Leagues at HWBOT represent. They're not supposed to be "serious" leagues, but rather for fun and to give people some structure within they can enjoy overclocking. Not a platform to make a living from overclocking. They're not designed for that. The opposite in fact.

:eek:

You have a better understanding of human (and corporate) nature than that. It doesn't matter if it's serious or not. It's a talent pool. Hardware companies should be aware that there are people in the HWB leaderboards with fantastic understanding of XYZ area that can be of use to them. The Pro league have already been noticed (mostly) and/or have relevant jobs in the industry.... along with the salary expectation to match their skills and experience.

Look to the up-and-coming talent and you can find yourself the Shamino of the next-gen and they'll cost less to get on-board because they DON'T have 18 companies showing interest.

Why did you ask if companies should ask permission to use results for PR & news? You know they're taking an interest in the scores on here.......

In that case, bitching about the Untouchable not being in retail won't help. Making your own might

(PS: aside from KP I don't think any of the Pro League members are expected (job description) to set any records. Not even Hicookie or NickShih. Most of the people who work in the industry just OC because it's fun and their results are picked up by marketing because it's something that can be used. Not because it's something that is really frigging important.)

• 1 month later...