HWBOT Community Forums

Lucid Virtu MVP: Revolution in benching?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, you are right, but now we should decide without knowing exactly how this lucid thing works, how much is the performance gain and so on.

how are we supposed to decide without fully knowing what's going on ?

We know what it does on a high-level. We also know the performance boost it can generate in some benchmarks (between 30 and 400%).

I mean.

We know it's sort of legitimate and sort of not and we know the effect it has on benchmarks is of that size that it will change A LOT if allowed across the board.

bob80 - it working only in apps with profile in driver, but you can make own profiles for new apps ...

sin0822 - you are wrong, look at this :http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yQzsBYn6hXM/T0s15EaUrMI/AAAAAAAAB6A/sUpJHz2Mqko/s1600/VirtuLineup.png carefully, there is no d-GPU mode for mVP for mobile system, there is only ONE GPU (iGPU) and HyperFormance and VirtVsync still supported ...

bob80 - it working only in apps with profile in driver, but you can make own profiles for new apps ...

sin0822 - you are wrong, look at this :http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yQzsBYn6hXM/T0s15EaUrMI/AAAAAAAAB6A/sUpJHz2Mqko/s1600/VirtuLineup.png carefully, there is no d-GPU mode for mVP for mobile system, there is only ONE GPU (iGPU) and HyperFormance and VirtVsync still supported ...

If that software described on Ludic's site? no. Why? Just like a lot of Lucid software/hardware, it probably never made it to full scale production.

IMO that software for just a single dGPU with NO iGPU should be not allowed. However the hybrid with iGPU i my opinion should be used can be used. In this case you are bringing in another piece of un-used hardware, I believe that the stand alone MVP is called something else , it has odd numbered name.

Anyways, it isn't called MVP:

"When we expressed our consternation about the IGP + GPU hardware requirement to Remez, he quickly steered us to another demo of an early, in-development software product Lucid calls Virtu XLR8. This program is essentially a stand-alone version of HyperFormance capable of running on a single GPU. Remez said using only one GPU for the whole enchilada adds some overhead (though he didn't use the word "enchilada," sadly), but Lucid is in the early stages of building a solution anyhow."

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21682/2

My final words, I see nothing wrong with software that uses both iGPU and dGPU, however dGPU alone should not be helped by software alone. However that software isn't the same name, and what is what I am saying, besides I doubt it is as effective. Either way there first is one problem, can we detect this? Will 3DMark and Unigine add ways to detect?

Edited by sin0822

FM is still investigating but what we've been able to piece together so far, "if it sounds like too good to be true..." should be applied. You may get big numbers from a benchmarking application with this, but you have to ask "why is this number bigger, has the performance actually improved or is something influencing the way the score is determined?"

Of course HWBOT can decide to apply whatever standard they desire (it seems for example that not running proper tessellation workloads in 3DMark 11 with AMD GPUs is "okay" by HWBOT while we think it is not) so I guess we'll see...

This will take some time to properly address but expect an official stance from FM on this as related to 3DMark and PCMark soon-ish.

Edited by FM_Jarnis

From my understanding after reading that datasheet again is that the Virtu MVP technology, as in how they do it is to give the output buffering tasks to the iGPU, opening up resources for the dGPU, so it doesn't have to worry about output buffering, and the monitor will be connected to the iGPU anyways. Then it also speeds up responsiveness of keyboards and mice through its vsync option. THe have some theoretical setups, but even the last one in the datasheet, requires a dual core iGPU, as in still needs two GPUs, one to handle output buffering and one to handle processing.

Is there another way to measure GPU performance other than FPS? 3DMark counts FPS.

Maybe 3DMark should add the ability to tell if Virtu is enabled, please do this, also add the option to tell if some other things in the program are enabled or disabled.

BTW if its too good to be true it probably is? I think Ivy Bridge is full of that, we just saw 7g, too good to be true, let's ban it guys! No one wants!

I'm pretty sure mobile will only work when there's an IGP (eg: SB/IB cpu) as well as a discrete graphics card present.

I think the most important step ist that FM can detect whether Virtu was used or not. No matter whether it will be allowed on FM or HWBot it should be clear whether it was used or not. Otherwise the whole comparability of the Benchmarks is gone.

This is certainly our priority as soon as we get our hands on this tech as based on all the information publicly available right now the effect on benchmark scores is so huge that any benchmark score should come with the information whether this technology has been used or not.

This is certainly our priority as soon as we get our hands on this tech as based on all the information publicly available right now the effect on benchmark scores is so huge that any benchmark score should come with the information whether this technology has been used or not.

indeed.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/download/WP-Eliminating%20Graphics%20Pipeline%20Redundancies%20181011.pdf

According to whitepaper, page2 last diagram, you have to have a discrete GPU as well as iGPU for it to work properly

been benching for 10 years under cold now, beeing through a couple of new hwb-revisions....I mostly had to bench everything new after changes...

why not another time?

if it really helps, if it gives us benefit and more fps - not sure why you (and many others) refusing it so hard - oc have ALWAYS been about pushing it, about discovering new tweaks and ways to increase fps...if this is the key now, we need to accept it!

because of the reason dino just posted. It's not supported by every card and doesnt scale on every benchmark. Means we won't get comparable results and will blow up the rankings.