HWBOT Community Forums

BeepBeep2 - Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 6906.4MHz - 6906.38 mhz CPU Frequency

Calathea

Nice one, but as you have found out, M4A89GTD/TD are not suitable for multi-thread benches and high clocks on LN2. Don't know why. Looking at the board leads you to the impression that it has everything needed...

Mine couldn't handle Thuban with 6 cores enabled and wprime. Couldn't load windows at anything close to 6GHz, while it was perfectly fine on Gigabyte 970A-UD3, which is an entry-level board with a big droop. Better board could give me even higher results.

1 and 2 were identical, this one is core 2. Three and 4 are strong-ish too, both ~6.8

However M4A89TD Pro/USB3 is too crap of a board, cant run wPrime 32M even at 6.1 and SPi 32M @ 6.4 so I'll have to switch to Crosshair V or buy a CHIV

Nice result. :)

I have a CVF and a CIVE without any plans of being run in the future. The CVF we could make a deal on, though the CIVE has sentimental value, but I could be talked into letting it go if that's what you really want.

I might have to pick up one of those 970A-UD3 and hardmod for vdroop. I could load Windows up to 5.8-5.9 but that was it... wPrime 1024M for example was dropping threads even down to 5.9 GHz...most of the time too, it crashed with IRQL BSOD which is weird...even OCX Tweaker with affinity to down-clocked core would crash the system with another core clocked up, but fine both clocked down.

Outside of SPi 32M I can cover the rest on my CHV without too much a efficiency loss.

It's probably leaving secondary or tertiary subtimings looser than the 890FX/Giga boards you are comparing to. Similar to how some of the z77 gigabyte boards set sub-timings too tight and have been the cause of some memory compatibility issues people have talked about.

Anyways though, I always used the CIVE over the CVF when possible (non-bulldozer), because it yielded me the best results... But if you wanted to make sure you weren't spending money on something just for the sake of convenience, I'd look closer at the 2nd/3rd subtimings.

It's probably leaving secondary or tertiary subtimings looser than the 890FX/Giga boards you are comparing to. Similar to how some of the z77 gigabyte boards set sub-timings too tight and have been the cause of some memory compatibility issues people have talked about.

Anyways though, I always used the CIVE over the CVF when possible (non-bulldozer), because it yielded me the best results... But if you wanted to make sure you weren't spending money on something just for the sake of convenience, I'd look closer at the 2nd/3rd subtimings.

No, at same secondary/tertiary timings the board is just slower.

I don't leave that stuff on auto...

I mean, I do on intel but I've spent time on AMD tuning those.

I can run a lot tighter on CHV on air (to the point where I need 1.85v for 1800 6-6-5 due to cWL = 6) and still not beat efficiency I have on M4A89 @ cWL = 8

I might have to pick up one of those 970A-UD3 and hardmod for vdroop. I could load Windows up to 5.8-5.9 but that was it... wPrime 1024M for example was dropping threads even down to 5.9 GHz...most of the time too, it crashed with IRQL BSOD which is weird...even OCX Tweaker with affinity to down-clocked core would crash the system with another core clocked up, but fine both clocked down.

Outside of SPi 32M I can cover the rest on my CHV without too much a efficiency loss.

No, mate. Better pick a 990FX giga board (UD3 would be fine) if you have the money.

Not sure if the second version of the 970A fixes this, you may ask some Giga representative over XS. I've hardmodded mine and the vdroop went into vrise, and I'm talking about 0.06V.

There's no LLC control, the controller chip supports LLC for cpu and cpu-nb (enabled/disabled only) via resistance on a certain pin.

Maybe if you change a whole set of resistors, it might be better...

So better ask which version you should look for.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Infra, I'm broke lol. Maybe if I sell the M4A I can afford the 990 UD3

This chip doesn't scale over 1.85v, tried up to 1.92v but didn't help. Worst case I could set 1.9v and vdroop wouldn't hurt, except maybe longevity.

Edited by BeepBeep2

Yeah, but my old 955 scales past 1.92 and I'm not fond of setting as high as 2V.

Otherwise board is pretty good for a budget board, but I have some strange memory problems recently, like dropping one of the channels. Plus one of my GTX2 sticks died with it, but it might be a coincidence or a bad insulation, although I'm always insulating carefully. Efficiency is superb.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

I think this board has a little to do with non-scaling...

I think I was able to run 6.8 32M on CHV and I remember pushing CPU-Z ~6980 once for quick binning (BSOD/crash) before running 32M.

My 955 is rather horrible. 6830 CPU-Z and 6.6+ 32M but CPU-NB cap at 4200... However CPU-NB does an easy 2800 on air, benched 3D IGP with that CPU @ 4/2.8 for GeForce 8200