HWBOT Community Forums

MSI Z77 GD65 on LN2 , 680 lightning on AIR: I have big and strange problem

He means CPU not GPU.

Spent 2 full days testing that.

680 lightning was on air on those screenshot.

With 7970 lightning there wasn't that problem.

My guess is that pci-ex start working bad with low temps on CPU,

but that didn't happen with 7970.

I think Billy_the_kid is experiencing same issee,

I would like he give us his feedback

Edited by giorgioprimo

I can relate to this. When I change CPU from SB / SB-E to IVB, the 'behaviour' of the GPU suddenly change (CB/CBB changed, random crashes,weird score, etc), and all of those did NOT happen when using 7970 Lightning.

This is just speculation, but it could be possible that the GTX 680 doesn't like a certain characteristics of some CPU's PCIe Controller under certain conditions(temps,clocks,etc).

Looks like the most 'bug-free' way of benching those 680s is using the SB-E based CPU for now.

I cannot remember seeing that type of behavior when benching with Elmor in MSI HQ. We tested both Ivy and SBE and on both platforms the clocks, performance and card behavior were quite similar. There were cold problems (-50°C CBB) with the cards and one time we had a GT2 slowdown, but both had a workaround.

What mainboard BIOSes are you guys on? Anyone tested with a different Z77 board?

What mainboard BIOSes are you guys on? Anyone tested with a different Z77 board?

I tested with Z77A-GD65, BIOS 10.5, the other system was my 3930K with XPower 2.

On the SB-E platform, things were quite 'predictable', and the behavior of the GPU didn't change between CPU on HSF vs CPU on LN2. (Using Gen2 mode btw)

But on 3770K+ GD65, when I throw temps like -150 or so, suddenly the GPU acted 'strange', when the GPU got some errors and I restarted, the system will tell u that the GPU is missing (dE Post Code - cmiiiw).

To fix this, Usually I had to heat the GPU pot to -20 before it can boot normally again, and this NEVER happens on my X79 system.

Will try on both systems again this weekend to make sure.

Latest BIOS for the GD65 is 10.6b11: http://downloads.hwbot.org/downloads/BIOS/Z77/E7751IMS.A6B

Fix sometimes tpm item lost in setup.

Fix the "Event Kernel-Power 137" error event log shows while resumed from HS3/S3 with Core i5-3470 and Core i5-3570 on Win8 systems.

Fix TPM item enabled issue when load default after.

Fix core Ratio Limit can not load default in BIOS setup menue after "Click BIOS2" change core Ratio Limit value.

Fix system reset after enable item"Adjust CPU Ratio in OS" and then press F11 to get boot menu.

Update USB module to 22.

Fix OC Genie setting not set to item after OC Genie function enable.

Fix sometimes system will hang up in the shutdown process after idle it for some time.

Set CPUEnergyReadEnable & CPUTempReadEnable default to disabled.

Add M-Flash support ME FW update solution.

Fix some memory cause bios hang 0x3b or 0x4f when overclock cpu ratio to 42.

Finetune G.Skill memory command rate timing.

Might wanna try that one to rule out specific BIOS version issue ?

Massman we used 10.6b3.

I can make you sure that it is cpu temps related.

We tested dozens of time: -100, -110, -120, -130, and

after -120 the behavior change, frames degrees.

I tested gen3 and gen2 and vga is still stock cooling.

I know billy_the_kid is having same problem, and he is

playing gd80.

Try to ask him

Edited by giorgioprimo

Massman we used 10.6b3.

playing gd80.

Try to ask him

With gd80 i have the same problem now i,m fighting with gd65 same problem to..... and not only the problem from cpu the card.... is not easy....

Some total random guess, but maybe it's worth trying:

When going from 3D to 2D power saving mode, usually on nVidia cards, the PCI-E bus will go down to 8X or even 4X at times. Maybe the PCI-E controller (CPU) get's stuck in that mode, when the GTX680 switches between power state's.

If Elmor and Massman used the P0-only BIOS, then that would explain why they didn't run into trouble.

And SB-E obviously has no such issues, cause nobody run's it that cold.

Try running the GPU-Z render test to check if PCI-E gets up to 16x after it has been in 2D mode, while CPU is cold.

Again, just brainstorming here..

But i guess you've got nothing to loose :)

Edited by ME4ME

I have strange problem on x79 platform. Have lower score on physics and combined ( than I should have on that cpu freq. )

On this one : http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4130456 ( cpu at 4.8 memory at 2133 8 9 8 , physics should be over 15.5k easy ( also got problem running cpuz to read cpu freq)). Seems like card is messing with hole system when it was on ln2....Also running 3dmark11 several times until it starts with tests...

Edited by Perica_barii

good catch, will try

Some total random guess, but maybe it's worth trying:

When going from 3D to 2D power saving mode, usually on nVidia cards, the PCI-E bus will go down to 8X or even 4X at times. Maybe the PCI-E controller (CPU) get's stuck in that mode, when the GTX680 switches between power state's.

If Elmor and Massman used the P0-only BIOS, then that would explain why they didn't run into trouble.

And SB-E obviously has no such issues, cause nobody run's it that cold.

Try running the GPU-Z render test to check if PCI-E gets up to 16x after it has been in 2D mode, while CPU is cold.

Again, just brainstorming here..

But i guess you've got nothing to loose :)

Good people come here then leave what has happened to me!

First was using a GD80, and when it came to -85 had colbug, as one would expect to be using 100 BCLK, if a use more BCLK have i lost performance, but still tested with the 106 BCLK, i hafve coldbug free would expect but the system freezes into the windows, and the few times that enters is in slow mode! (I tested this with two different CPU's)

Thinking it would be the baord, because I'd never used in cold, I sold the GD80 and bought GD65 that had already been mine and I knew that worked well with cold! And it happens just the same ...

So i chose to use -85 100 BCLK and i can run at 5800mhz ... have more perfomance then run with bclk at 6000mhz ...

So far so good the problem and use the graphics in the cold it´s more harder... so i have cooldboot to windos at -30, for not speak everity time he goes donw over -70 need to do clear cmos and set all again... and few are the times that I can go over -60 without artifacts... bench for 1750 need to walk in the -110 ... Worst of all, and I have the best score in 1650 better then 1700 or 1750 ... to complete a run to 1650 had to spend more than 75L, to get pass the test without physx freaz with artifacts and getting through -60 before starting to run the benchmark...

I'm so tired and unmotivated having spent so many hours on it and just have a miserable run of 14200point's ...

It´s enough to win the 2 week... only one ssd 90gb :(

I already tested the 1500 flash, already forced to use 2d mode and overclocking it but it is the same and miss performance...

To me it´s done...

Edited by Billy-The-Kid

Massman we used 10.6b3.

playing gd80.

Try to ask him

Oh, sorry. No, I absolutely believe it's because of the CPU temperature. I was just wondering if this CPU temp issue was BIOS specific. Probably not, I guess, since it happened on 10.5 and 10.6b3.

Has anyone reported this to MSI HQ?

Anyone already tested on another Z77 board?

Oh, sorry. No, I absolutely believe it's because of the CPU temperature. I was just wondering if this CPU temp issue was BIOS specific. Probably not, I guess, since it happened on 10.5 and 10.6b3.

Has anyone reported this to MSI HQ?

Anyone already tested on another Z77 board?

I think the most important thing to know is "the msi will give flash to be able to have decent scores on this contest (one single gpu) or will be full of miserable scores?"

And even now if yes when ... on the last day to only few user can use it .... after scores of qualifier HWBOT where there was followed record hit each other ... and will now leave what you are watching!!

Edited by Billy-The-Kid

I also I have many problems,

-70 Above freezing,

1500core above remains red screen.

I'm also very low fps problems, the end result very low.

1700mem 1450core 10000ptos 3DMark11 lol.

Not that that state can be tested at default cpu and I have the same problem.

i7 3770k + MSI Z77 GD80 + 680GTX LIGTINING

;192174']I also I have many problems' date='

-70 Above freezing,

1500core above remains red screen.

I'm also very low fps problems, the end result very low.

1700mem 1450core 10000ptos 3DMark11 lol.

Not that that state can be tested at default cpu and I have the same problem.

i7 3770k + MSI Z77 GD80 + 680GTX LIGTINING[/quote']

On air cooling with this clocks you will get 12730 :)

Seems that these GTX 680 Lightnings bring lot of fun to the owners :\

Guys did anyone manage to pass 1700 GPU clock with some good results? (I mean higher than on 1600-1650 core). Till I'm not among the competitors just PM me if you want to share the experience :)

Thanks God I don't have to play with them to fight for the MOA ticket.