HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT OC Challenge March 2010 - stage 1: wPrime 32m thread.

kikicoco1334

I have three s478 I've just finished messing around with, sadly two motherboards have unlockable pll and the last ones a "DELL" with a CY28323 pll and unbearable bios that I find lacking in ability for voltage adjustments. I need a p4c800 e deluxe or an msi neo2-fisr now more than ever :(

Yep, like this.

I doubt any 865/875 motherboard can work with ~300 MHz fsb with 1:1 mem divider, only 5:4 or 3:2,

and if it's possible to run Northwood on e.g. P5B at 300 fsb with divider like 2:3 or 1:2

with 4-4-4 or 5-5-5 it might have better performance than 2-2-2 at ~240, isn't it?

IMHO it's impossible to run Northwoods on P965 boards because they don't have CPUID microcode for Northwoods, only Prescotts. I might be wrong. If it would be possible I am sure hwbot would already have a quite a lot of Northwood LGA775 submissions.

:ws:

As I said. If it would be possible, we'd already had a bunch of results here on the bot. The same issue as with Banias/Dothan chips and CT-479 adapter on non-supported boards. Boards - even though BIOS was modded with appropriate CPUID microcode - simply didn't boot the system.

Perhaps it's possible, but IMHO highly unlikeable :)

• Crew

tiborrr, I've got this one :D and a P5B delx + Commando. Working on them for my team member. But the Northwood doesn't work and the problem is not in the microcodes. In fact you don't need to add them for the system to work. And yes, this conversion adapter is kind of crappy.

I wouldn't recommend to use it unless you are a hardware freak - the BIOS is not the only problem.

I'll even give a clue - VasGTO made some CeleronD and Northwood results on an AsRock 4CoreDual board. I have to warn - it doesn't work with all Northwoods - only the ones it likes. I have two exactly same CPU's - the model, the sSpec and the country of manufacturing. One works, the other one doesn't. Both work on P4C800-E perfectly.

And yes, forget about using Northwood Celeron on this board - none of my 11 did boot.

And anyway, I think that a modded P4C800-E will rip Asrock.

MSI sells i945P motherboard with S478 socket, sporting two DDR2 slots.
Not only MSI - Asrock too and a Chinese company, ZX. The last refused to overclock. I had to ask politely :D

• Crew

You're welcome, tiborrr :)

Looks like today I killed my adapter :D and the Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 as well. Will go and buy a new adapter tomorrow - think it's the last one in the store.

Nice board you have! I love DFI, but AFAIK they weren't the FTW boards in s478 comparision. And there were two versions of UT 875 as I remember ;)

Edited by Antinomy

• Crew

Dreadlockyx, surely not the best one. Look for Abit and Asus - the IC-7/IS-7 and P4C800/P4P800 with all modifications (except Asus -X series - that's crap).

Sil3ntSnip3a, nice one! What's the lowest and highest multi on the 3066? The first link doesn't open.