HWBOT Community Forums

SPD Reading/Flashing with RaspberryPi

TiN and I have been working on an open source project for flashing DDR3/DDR4 SPDs using a RaspberryPi. You can follow the project on xDevs.com as well as grab the code.

soft.jpg

TiN designed an awesome PCB for DDR3/DDR4 slots that connects up to the RaspberyPi and lets you flash your modules.

kit.jpg

top.jpg

This is the top of the board that TiN designed.

back.jpg

And the back side of the board

addr.jpg

It has three switches for changing the address as well as LEDs to indicate which address is being used.

header.jpg

He also included a header to connect the RaspberryPi as well as a power switch.

mcu.jpg

He also added support for a MCU so eventually we can plug this via USB into a regular PC to flash.

ddr3_prog.jpg

Here it is in action flashing DDR3

Why not simply use R-W everything instead? :D

Yes, in most cases you can as long as you have a working module with a board that supports R-W. However if you flashed a bad SPD to a module or your board isn't supported by R-W everything then what will you do. This makes it so you don't have to rely on a working system you can just use the RPI.

• Crew

Bad flash -> after POST press pause, stick in the bad module, boot to OS (the module isn't seen in system because it's after POST but it's connected to I2C). And flash it like it was there as usual.

R-W knows Intel PCH (flashed with 6-th Gen chipsets, haven't run on newer ones yet).

Bad flash -> after POST press pause, stick in the bad module, boot to OS (the module isn't seen in system because it's after POST but it's connected to I2C). And flash it like it was there as usual.

R-W knows Intel PCH (flashed with 6-th Gen chipsets, haven't run on newer ones yet).

Still much easier to flash these out of system.

LGA2011's I2C ain't connected to PCH :P

And barely lots of people will like to risk their precious hardware hotswapping memory modules :)

But after all, there are multiple ways to do the job, either way. I'm a hw person, so I like do it hardware way.

Others who are nice with coding do in software, like Taiphoon Burner for example.

And normal people don't care about any of these :D

Edited by TiN

• Crew

Well in your case I can believe that tracing a PCB, printing it, soldering SMD components and slots, assembling a wire with connectors, uploading OS to Raspberry and setting up the software is much easier than running a software utility. :D

And normal people don't care about any of these :D

Interesting news on LGA2011, thanks. I2C goes to MultiIO?

Anyway, great work :celebration:

Yes, specially when software utility just does not work :D

It's no rocket science to solder 4 wires and two resistors and learn a little linux (this is what it needs actually to do for plain read/write I2C from RPI).

Anyway, thanks.

Updated an article with all STEP-by-STEP information of all software fiddles on RPI.

• 8 months later...