HWBOT Community Forums

Teams League Rev.4

Massman

I agree with the following options ...  

258 members have voted

1. 1. I agree with the following options ...

• Alternative 1
    • Alternative 2
    • Alternative 3
    • Alternative 4
    • Alternative 5
    • ... oh, and also, I don't like changes

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew

OK, you've been speaking about BM rankings, which kinda confused me :)

And about the "novice" question - this is true but OTOH instead of teams moving intense - to most point-awarded categories they'll go extensive - to the rare ones. I mean - 3-way and 4-way SLI for a big variety of cards, oldware, rareware and so on. I think this is very positive as starting from rev. 3 the rare and old categories were deserted as the weren't awarded good.

You can compare the number of results for 3-way and 4-way SLI/CF for non-top cards. I think is pretty low - it's better to bench another popular card than two identical ones going falling into an unpopular category.

Oh, your article is nice but big, reading it out ATM :D

• 3 months later...

what about making two separated leagues as with individual rankings?

i mean, there's the overclocking league and the hardware league, the first use mostly your global points + the 300 hwboints

we could do the same for teams, pretty much the alternative 2 :P with some points to clarify

that way we'd remove the hardware sharing issue with the "Power Team League", and still we wouldn't cut the total team contribution hence the "team spirit" with the "Team HWBoints League"

oh, seems like i'm late as always :D

With today's system the grinders get alot of respect because those points are just as vital for a team as global points. If anything we should try to INCREASE the attention on grinding, rather than giving more focus to the global points.

I see your point, though... but IMO the side effects are too nasty:)

oh but i think with this method we wouldn't be giving more focus to global points, what i mean is doing for Team Rankings exactly the same as current Individual Rankings (maybe with some slight changes), i don't see negative effect for grinding that way :)

if this method is actually working great for individual rankings, i think it should work ok too for Team Rankings IMHO :)

what would be in your opinion the negative side effects?

cheers :)

Alternative 3 might be a good way - let's talk about on cebit, not understandin every detail of this solution but overall it does sound ok.

... oh, and also, I don't like changes :D

this is just an example...not real situation...

a good cpu..like msimax's 2600k

and two 5870s....

are you ok if two guys benefit from the super cpu?

Edited by Hondacity

and two 5870s....

Like it matters, if I didn't have his cpu and I had my 100 mhz less cpu with a better IMC + ln2 I would blast my own score which I intend to do anyway. Unless of course you don't think I can do it.......

Also to "team bench" costs money, 3 hour+ ride, gas, rental or bus ticket. Not to mention we pooled money together for our cpu's till we found decent one's.

Last I read to share a cpu in a 3d bench is completely legit so I don't even see why this was even brought up.

Anyway thats the whole purpose of rev 4, so that teams can't dominate top 5 in a ranking, a xeon class comes to mind.......

Don't you bench with Travis and share his errr I mean ASUS's cpu's boards etc etc ;)

Edited by chew*

Like it matters, if I didn't have his cpu and I had my 100 mhz less cpu with a better IMC + ln2 I would blast my own score which I intend to do anyway. Unless of course you don't think I can do it.......

Also to "team bench" costs money, 3 hour+ ride, gas, rental or bus ticket. Not to mention we pooled money together for our cpu's till we found decent one's.

Last I read to share a cpu in a 3d bench is completely legit so I don't even see why this was even brought up.

Anyway thats the whole purpose of rev 4, so that teams can't dominate top 5 in a ranking, a xeon class comes to mind.......

Don't you bench with Travis and share his errr I mean ASUS's cpu's boards etc etc ;)

Honda buys his own hardware. He will bench with me on some weekends when we split the cost of a 230L Dewar, we do not share hardware.

Edited by V2-V3

Honda buys his own hardware. He will bench with me on some weekends when we split the cost of a 230L Dewar, we do not share hardware.

Nothing wrong with sharing cpu's mobos for 3d which is what I was referring to travis, which is also why I didn't quite understand the complaint.

I'm only going by what you told me personally about testing a few chips with him for 3d.

I think my above post was misinterpreted.

So bottom line what I meant to say is if you share cpu's boards for 3d why complain if someone else does, thats all. I know other teams do, they even say so, nothing wrong with it.

Hell I sent my own personal 980X and R III E ( from OC summit winnings ) around to XS to bench 3d on, the only difference really is the chip sucked, people only complain when the chip is good.

Edited by chew*

Nothing wrong with sharing cpu's mobos for 3d which is what I was referring to travis, which is also why I didn't quite understand the complaint.

I'm only going by what you told me personally about testing a few chips with him for 3d.

I think my above post was misinterpreted.

So bottom line what I meant to say is if you share cpu's boards for 3d why complain if someone else does, thats all. I know other teams do, they even say so, nothing wrong with it.

Hell I sent my own personal 980X and R III E ( from OC summit winnings ) around to XS to bench 3d on, the only difference really is the chip sucked, people only complain when the chip is good.

I didn't complain about someones "Good Chip" or point fingers of wrong doing.....

I guess I meant to say:

Testing samples and submitting results are to different things.

and two 5870s....

I would actually try to blow up booth of them with a better CPU and GPU if possible :D

Normally I always find something small I don't totally agree but I would sign this without reading a third time ;)

this thread is so sad...

no seeing me benching today on stage would have made you really sad :P:D

(cuz you could think "how does that noob did it made on stage" ^^ ) for further explanation - call massman :D

rev4 won't be sad :)

Absolutely it won't be sad, those 2 scores were in preperation of rev 4. We knew the highest would count the most so we tried to get the highest possible we could for our team with what we had at our disposal ;)

Absolutely it won't be sad, those 2 scores were in preperation of rev 4. We knew the highest would count the most so we tried to get the highest possible we could for our team with what we had at our disposal ;)

AFAIK, rev4 makes my team top 5 if not better. IT also make my contribution to the team meaningless.

You might contribute to your team. does that mean that those that are not top 5 guys are no longer worthwhile? Why have them on the team? Should it become NASCAR? totally corporate sponsored?

Easy to say now that you will include them, in a year ... only time will tell.

AFAIK Rev4 makes a whole bunch of PUREs. Creme de la creme, not busting on PURE, just saying they are the thing to shoot for. They are going to have to break up to 4 teams minimum. Top 4 remains to be seen.

Edited by Neuromancer

AFAIK, rev4 makes my team top 5 if not better. IT also make my contribution to the team meaningless.

You might contribute to your team. does that mean that those that are not top 5 guys are no longer worthwhile? Why have them on the team? Should it become NASCAR? totally corporate sponsored?

Easy to say now that you will include them, in a year ... only time will tell.

AFAIK Rev4 makes a whole bunch of PUREs. Creme de la creme, not busting on PURE, just saying they are the thing to shoot for. They are going to have to break up to 4 teams minimum. Top 4 remains to be seen.

I think if a team is organized a bunch of guys will get together and say OK i have this this and this, what do you have?

So for instance a bud of mine has a matrix 4870, I have only a reference.......well heck dude you tackle that class your matrix has way more potential.

I save ln2, I can focus on another class where my cards will have more potential.

When you bench for a hw specific class in rev 4 you truly are repping your team, thats the way I see it. Our team has already gotten together and said hey ok you have this and this and this, I have this and this and this.

Lets figure out whats best then divvy it up ;)

My anaylsis for rev 4?

Teams win, manufacturers lose. No need for a team to buy 20 samples of a 580 GTX + 990X to be competetive to spam the latest HW class for points anymore.

Edited by chew*

With today's system the grinders get alot of respect because those points are just as vital for a team as global points. If anything we should try to INCREASE the attention on grinding, rather than giving more focus to the global points.

More attention to grinding? Why?

I'd like to see something, either a declaration that we're continuing on the current model, or a declaration that we aren't. If not, some idea of where we are going would be nice!

We are currently implenting the new design and the first new features of the Rev4 on the test server. The points and rankings haven't been updated yet, so that's why it's not public yet.

The 'Powerteam' implementation will be part of Rev4. I think this concept will become much clearer once you see how we add this part to the various benchmark rankings.

More attention to grinding? Why?

We are currently implenting the new design and the first new features of the Rev4 on the test server. The points and rankings haven't been updated yet, so that's why it's not public yet.

The 'Powerteam' implementation will be part of Rev4. I think this concept will become much clearer once you see how we add this part to the various benchmark rankings.

I just don't feel that people like Karl get the attention they deserve:) That's all. No reason to make it worse... There's more to benching than pushing the latest and most expensive parts.

after taking into consideration the negative effect of hardware sharing for Team points i voted for both alternatives 1 and 3

as i see it ilegal hardware sharing is happening in big scale and it definitely hurts the fair play and the real spirit of overclocking and competition, it's sad this is happening and because of this i think a change is needed asap with REV4

I'd say alternative 3 is the one which fits the best for either removing hardware sharing (not completetly but at least a quite good percentage of it) and still remains user points to sum for team total :)

all revisions through the history of hwbot had impact on some teams but this change is needed for all

hardware sharing is like a plague which needs to be eradicated for the good of the oc community that's my 2 cents :)

with hardware sharing what i mean is someone producing scores for 10-15 team members to submitt and sum up for their team with the same rig setup, this needs to be addressed that's a MUST

Edited by Predator

ok i know we're trying to eliminate hardware sharing...

team.katana will get hit the worst...

but their contribution is just awesome...

what alternative is best for team.katana and against hw sharing?

Revision changes have always hit some teams (or users) harder than others. What matters is what's best for the community as a whole. I bet my team get hit almost as hard as KATANA, but that's life - we'll do our best with whatever rules we must follow:) I hope the KATANA members think the same way.