HWBOT Community Forums

Hey everyone.

Trying to run off with some prizes and falling flat on my face at 4.9 GHz.

I'm using AIO cooling with AC blowing direct into my intake area, specs are

Maximus VIII Gene

Corsair Vengeance LPX currently @ 3200 Mhz

H100i Cooling

i7 6700k stable at 4.8

I have 7 140 mm intakes including the radiator fans, as well as 1 240mm fan, and 1 200 mm exhaust fan. Idle temps hover around 26 C, load 35-40, benchmark about 80-90 C.

You can see my latest submission at http://hwbot.org/submission/3191257

I don't seem to see any irregularities and I'm a bit curious if my RAM is what's making my OC crash. I can start up and run at 4.9 no problems, but as soon as there's any heavy system load, the crash happens.

Where should I start troublshooting?

Edited by neotitancomputing

Hey everyone.

Trying to run off with some prizes and falling flat on my face at 4.9 GHz.

I'm using AIO cooling with AC blowing direct into my intake area, specs are

Maximus VIII Gene

Corsair Vengeance LPX currently @ 3200 Mhz

H100i Cooling

i7 6700k stable at 4.8

I have 7 140 mm intakes including the radiator fans, as well as 1 240mm fan, and 1 200 mm exhaust fan. Idle temps hover around 26 C, load 35-40, benchmark about 80-90 C.

You can see my latest submission at http://hwbot.org/submission/3191257

I don't seem to see any irregularities and I'm a bit curious if my RAM is what's making my OC crash. I can start up and run at 4.9 no problems, but as soon as there's any heavy system load, the crash happens.

Where should I start troublshooting?

Did you delid yet?

Like Splave said delid is number 1,

what voltages are you running at 4.8?

" " " " " at 4.9?

what is cache/uncore at?

are you positive h100i is seated (mounted) properly?

if so what thermal paste?

You are definitely crashing because hot cpu's need more volts to be stable and that in turn creates more heat. For example on ln2 at 1.5v you may be able to run 5.8, on water chiller 5.2 and aio cooler only 4.8. Now if you are delidded and running something like liquid metal between die and ihs you probably just have a bad mount. If you are not delidded then I recommend staying away from benching and overclocking until you are

I'm not sure what de-lidding is, I'm new to this.

My volts at 4.8 are 1.47 on Auto Adaptive.

Cache running stable at 4.2, I can do higher, but I crash at 4.5.

Quite positive the cooler is seated properly, I cranked up the ac last night and was able to get 18 C at idle on the CPU and 15 C on the radiator.

The 88C under load was after about 5 Benchmarks in a row. Same frequency and I hit my all time high marks at 88 C. First few benchs normally top around 74-79 C

Is it possible that using a water chiller would let me get higher speeds without delidding? It's not so serious that i'd risk breaking my new CPU for faster speeds. I'm looking at the options and I'm not quite sure where to start with water chilling in regards to amps or pump potential. Could I also cool my GPU the same way with the chiller?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, isn't 88C on even AIO Water pretty high? Shouldn't it be lower than that normally? I might just have a thermal paste issue here.

Is it possible that using a water chiller would let me get higher speeds without delidding? It's not so serious that i'd risk breaking my new CPU for faster speeds. I'm looking at the options and I'm not quite sure where to start with water chilling in regards to amps or pump potential. Could I also cool my GPU the same way with the chiller?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, isn't 88C on even AIO Water pretty high? Shouldn't it be lower than that normally? I might just have a thermal paste issue here.

Yes it is totaly possibe to get higher speed, but you should delid before you even thing of using a water chiller. You could probably get 5ghz easily with a water chiller. It costs quite a lot to set one up considering the temp drop . You're better off buying single stage phase cooling which is much lower temp than chiller, and will allow you to go much higher in cpu ghz.

Delliding can drop the temps by as much as 8c with the same cooling, so consider doing that first. There are delidding tools available that let you delid the cpu risk free. You can do it using a blade which is like $0.20 which is a cheaper option but you will be risking damaging the cpu.

at that voltage, no. That is actually very decent for an aio

Edited by TX_OC

You got it! Thermal paste between die and ihs IS the issue. To much time talking about this, could have delidded several hundred cpu's by now. There is no risk if you buy a delid tool, prices as low as $20 for a 3d printed basic unit (recommend only using 2 or 3 times), up to almost $100 for one that will last forever and look good sitting next to other high end OC hardware.

TLDR: DELID NOW, TALK LATER

Are there any custom mounts I should look at after de-lidding? I know the die sticks up a bit, so unless i had a glob of past on there, my current set up would not work with it.

EDIT: Never mind, after watching a delid tutorial I see that de-lidding is just taking off the IHS, putting new paste on the die, and putting the IHS back. Is that really all I have to do?

Why don't they come with adequate paste from the factory?

Guest TheMadDutchDude
EDIT: Never mind, after watching a delid tutorial I see that de-lidding is just taking off the IHS, putting new paste on the die, and putting the IHS back. Is that really all I have to do?

Why don't they come with adequate paste from the factory?

Yep, all you need to do is that. I'd recommend sticking it back down with some adhesive, though. Costs about $10 USD (tops).

There's a simple answer to your question about the paste from the factory: money.

After some tweaking in the bios and cranking up the AC, I have successfully benchmarked at 5.0 GHz on my current set up, no delidding done yet! ;)

I'm ranked #1 in the Rookie Rumble #30, which is what I was trying to go to 5 GHz for.

Now to see if I can hold it until the end of the competition, still can't figure out the way to get a good score in GPUPI...

For Those Interested: http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/rookie_rumble_30

EDIT: Figured out GPUPI, apparently I didn't have the Intel OpenCL Runtime installed, and the AMD doesn't work good for good Intel CPU scores (go figure).

• 1 month later...

Resurrection.

So I've delidded and am using Liquid Ultra on both my die and IHS, and I can see a gigantic difference in temperatures, and can run 4.9 under load at 1.48 V at a cool 60C under load, but I still can't put load on 5.0 Ghz without crashing. Is it possible I'm just restricted by my chip at this point? After delidding I have seen temps drop over 27% compared to before, and I can hold a higher OC stable without any issues at even cooler temps, but still can't hold 5.0 GHz without my stability basically disappearing.

Any other ideas of what I can do to hold 5.0?

• 3 months later...