HWBOT Community Forums

Quadro2 pro cards

Stelaras

There were Ultras with DVI, but you're right the card used was a Quadro2 hardmodded to a gf2 Ultra, I found this submission from Cristian Ney where he mentiones that you can mod the card by changing a jumper: Christian Ney`s 3DMark2001 SE score: 8489 marks with a Quadro2 Pro in my case it was a resistor, and since he submitted the results as geforce and quadro i figured it'd be okay.

If you think otherwise i'm fine with having my submissions removed, but i'd like to hear your reasoning, why canging a jumper is fair game and replacing a resistor isn't :)

I'm not trying to cheat or anything, thats why i attached the picture, imo the GPU aspect is irrelevant anyways since only memory counts, and as far as i know gf and quadro cards use the exact same ics...

• Administrators

@TAGG What really annoys me is that you! personally ask if quadros are allowed, you get the answer not for this comp and then you hard! mod a quadro and compare it to the two dual purpose cards Ney used. Moving a jumper is for sure different from removing/changing a resistor and physically changing a card that was physically determined by vendor to be used as quadro only, and after the answer given at support thread you could have asked at least again if we see this as a legit move.

When you ask about the difference between moving a jumper and soldering a card, the first does not void your warranty, it is an option offered by the manufacturer and needs no soldering^^

I tend to remove your submissions with the card at least for the competition, if you have another card it would be better you bench now in case it is done.

I made a few submissions with a gf2 ti before, there wasn't really time for asking, I found the submission from ney 2 days ago, so i figured I'd just hardmod the card and see what comes out...

There were ways of softmodding the card too, which wouldn't void any warranty, in essence what i'm trying to say is, that the cards were the same appart from DVI, one pinheader and the resistor mentioned before :)

On the note of phisically changing the card, what would it be considered if i took the mems of my quadro and put them on a gf2 ti because they scale better? Imo the whole fun about old GPUs comes from modding the crap out of them (which allways voids warranty btw) :)

Edited by TAGG

• Administrators

We could have discussed this before, you asked if quadros were allowed, answer was officially no, other people therefore did not buy quadros to mod them. This gave you an advantage despite you knew we did not want a quadro modding rampage here. If the submissions will stay at the database is not my business, my job is to offer contestants an even playing field. The sub will be removed, there is no choice

Ok, i never bought a quadro this was the card i had in my win98 machine, the only cards i bought were 2 gf2 tis and a GTS the quadro mod was a last minute action (because of neys result) and I knew I might have my submission removed :)

For me is pretty simple . Either you follow the rules , or you are not . There are not grey areas . That's the way I work/play/live .

At the end of the day , clean conscience is all that matters to me .

Quadro2 pro cards are NV15GL are able to overclock a bit better from the ultra cards . Especially regarding memory clocks . I tested at least a dozen of various cards during last year . There are some very few exceptions of course .

Geforce2 cards are starving for memory bandwidth , so even a small raise in memory clocks can skyrocket the score . And as you can see the retail GF2 ultra's are pretty consistent and they max out at around 275Mhz . Even a 50Mhz core o/c can't reach a 10-15Mhz memory raise .

@TAGG , there are still quadro2 pro scores posted . The topic wasn't only for you .

PS . I'm not a bad guy . Please don't make me feel like i'm doing something wrong here .

Edited by Stelaras

@Stelaras Yeah right quadros overclock better... The one i used was barely able to hit 350MHz with 2,8V and under SS, my gf2 ti hit 320 under Air without voltmod. Only the memory was better, because the Quadro uses 64 mbit ICs and the geforce 128 mbit probably rated lower, thats why i'm planning to just swap the memory since there are gf2 tis that use the exact same ICs :)

The memory (64 mbit) scales with temp like crazy, thats why i used the massive copper heatspreader and old thermal pads from 8800s to cool the memory too. Under air the card also topped out at about 275, but -45°C brought another 35MHz :)

For me is pretty simple . Either you follow the rules , or you are not . There are not grey areas . That's the way I work/play/live .

At the end of the day , clean conscience is all that matters to me .

Quadro2 pro cards are NV15GL are able to overclock a bit better from the ultra cards . Especially regarding memory clocks . I tested at least a dozen of various cards during last year . There are some very few exceptions of course .

Geforce2 cards are starving for memory bandwidth , so even a small raise in memory clocks can skyrocket the score . And as you can see the retail GF2 ultra's are pretty consistent and they max out at around 275Mhz . Even a 50Mhz core o/c can't reach a 10-15Mhz memory raise .

@TAGG , there are still quadro2 pro scores posted . The topic wasn't only for you .

PS . I'm not a bad guy . Please don't make me feel like i'm doing something wrong here .

You did nothing wrong Steli. ;)

IMO, the offenders are getting off light with just subs being removed from the comp. Questions were asked about Quadros before the comp and were told "no Quadros", yet they were used anyway. It doesn't get any more blatant than that.

If Steli or I had done that we would have been banned. Time to put your foot down or become a doormat. Your choice HWB staff.