HWBOT Community Forums

Request. Combine categories... 9800GTX/ GTX+

K404

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the only thing we can separate between the two is the die shrink (55 vs 65 nm) which IMHO isn't enough to make two separate categories since overclocking is the same.

Also, if you flash a BIOS from a 65nm card into a 55nm card, how will GPU-z detect it?

P.S.Massman, if you're so excited about the 9800 cards, why don't you fix the P4-2.4 stuff?

Yeah, but physically it's 2 different cards, if they were both 65nm ok no problem.

But here it's 65nm and 55nm. That's not the same.

And about your ''flashing card'' argument, you can flash any card into any card you want !?(I haven't tested myself, I only flash cards with a BIOS modified by myself(editing the main BIOS))

Not a TNT2 into a GTX580 :D but same generation cards

Not always, the technical specifications need to match pretty well.

Just asked W1zzard about the die size detection mechanism of GPU-Z and, as Sam already mentioned, the die size is indeed function of the detected device_id. This meaning: you can flash away the 55nm and turn it into a 65nm. In other words: GPU-Z does not allow a clear distinction between GTX and GTX+.

Yeah, but physically it's 2 different cards, if they were both 65nm ok no problem.

But here it's 65nm and 55nm. That's not the same.

It shouldn't be the same, but between nVidia and vendors, it often IS the same. The reality of the "production" doesn't match what nVidia intended (assuming nVidia were entirely honest)

I have 9800GT with a unique device ID and it's still 65nm.

There's both die processes available. User can only tell from the die markings and GPU-Z.

A user can go into a shop and buy a GTX+ and (using your idea) then be told they have to submit it as a GTX because it's 65nm. In theory, the implications of that mean the vendor is selling through false advertising. Maybe they are (lol) but it's far easier and less... .hmmmm.... "controversial?" to throw the categories together. Minimal maintenance.

For most of these cards, don't even need to flash the BIOS, just use the lack of clarity in the device ID and GPU model. I did flash my GTX with the suposed Cold BIOS. Some GTX+ can have the same done (same PCB)

Thankyou :D

Thats 0.001% of my training done to convince Massman of things he is against to start with :D

I think this is the only set of GPU categories where this happens, for "recent" nVidia anyway...

Edited by K404

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm not knocking your choice because it's A/ nVidia and B/ G92 so of course i'm a fan too, but it's weird how some cards just "click" with some people :)

One of the first ones I tried cold with no OCP and only minor vdroop issues. Runs great at 1.4+ with only minor cap mod done. Not to mention when that card came out I could only afford onboard video on crumby mobo's makes it one of my favorites.

Edited by reggiesanchez